Fermenter Cardboard Jacket

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkMc

Reaction score
Just been digging around for an old Doonah to do a similar set up to BribieG (he will be along shortly with a pic :p ) But the Mrs says we dont have any spare...

Anyhow I have loads of corrugated cardboard and am thinking about making a jacket with room for the brewer and 3-4 frozen 600ml bottles. Say 5 or 6 layers thick. with lid and base too.

Any thoughts?

Pics will come once complete.

I think I may try this way as well... I don't have a fridge yet and I really want to brew my Coopers Draught, been sitting in its can for a while now.

This should work, the corrugated cardboard should insulate things nicely, note the condensation from the frozen bottles may turn the cardboard to mush though! May need to line it with a waterproof membrane...

Save yourself the trouble. Spend $34 and get a Smash 70 can cooler from Bunnings. Two 2L bottles of frozen water (changed morning and night) will hold it at 16-18 degC even when the outdside temp is in the 30's. It can of course also be used at other times for its intended purpose ie a portable esky. I don't own shafres in the company, its the only one I found in my search that works perfectly.

I mucked about with the laundry tub/ice/water/towels etc and it was a pain and not very effective. I also chuck a blanket over the whole thing but maybe that cardboard may come in handy for that!

Just been digging around for an old Doonah to do a similar set up to BribieG (he will be along shortly with a pic :p ) But the Mrs says we dont have any spare...

Anyhow I have loads of corrugated cardboard and am thinking about making a jacket with room for the brewer and 3-4 frozen 600ml bottles. Say 5 or 6 layers thick. with lid and base too.

Any thoughts?

Pics will come once complete.

Fear not Marko, BribieG to the rescue: ;) before I acquired the doonah I used a car windscreen shade to reasonable effect but not so good as the duvet. There's a couple of frozen PETs in there under the towel of course.

ferm1.JPG

I now use it to roll a keg in if I'm taking it to a swap etc and it keeps it ice cold for hours. Erm haven't used it in the car for years :lol: :lol:

Edit - you strap it up tighter than that of course, the piccie is just to illustrate the general principle, and drape another towel over the top and you get reasonable insulation.

Save yourself the trouble

too late for that.

The base is getting a bit mushy, but its working for now. Its wrapped in a towel and old blanket too. The cardboard at the back is about 10 layers thick. Then there is room for 7 bottles around the front. It was 30 when I wrapped it and I have traken it down to 20 overnight. Now a daily change of the bottles is keeping it at 20. Might add a few more layers of card to the front for the next brew.

DSC01383.jpg

DSC01384.jpg

DSC01386.jpg

DSC01387.jpg

Hey Wagga is this the one you mean, and would it hold a fermenter? Tempted myself, to get rid of the mega hunka dead fridge.

roller_cooler.jpg

Mark, such ingenuity built the Forth Bridge, the British Empire, the Sydney Harbour Bridge...........(dons flak jacket)

Try your local Savos type shop for a doona, thats what I did till now... Brother in Law just picked up my temp controller, now just to pick up the freezer from the in laws to modify!
Happy Brewing!
Cheers

Robbo

I have used a Kennards hire big box with a large baking tray on the base to catch condensation...Covered the whole thing in a sleeping bag and then an old duvet.

Worked well.

Did a similar thing myself but for opposite reasons. Trying to keep the fermenter warm. What i used was an old polystyrene box cut it into 100mm strips and duct taped it together. However, i've been relocated :( to the garage and find if the barrels sit on the concrete slab it stays quite stable. Now i've modified it slightly (cut two holes for handles) and i'm using it to keep the wort warm in my new biab experiments.

Nice work Mark,

Any interest in a broken fridge?

My sister is getting rid of one

Goldy

BribieG,

It looks like this.

Picture_1.png

Made by these guys

http://www.smashenterprises.com.au/cooling.html

Available at Bunnings. There is a cheaper on ~$16 but it has no lid and looks flimsier.

Loving some of the other pics people! Talk about engineering at its best. The things we do for beer......

Latest posts

Back