Fell asleep during boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westbrook0

Reaction score
I fell asleep during the boil last night.. pre boil gravity of 1055 and was shooting for an sg of 1072.. when I went downstairs to my brewery at 4.30am the burner was off I must've turned it off (I am a sleepwalker) as that's the only explanation..anyway I'm going to finish the boil tonight just to ad my finishing hops and see how it goes. I cant lose anything other than a bit of yeast.
Has anyone ever done the same? or just left the boiled wort and then brought it back to boil the next day?
The problem I have is I have no idea how long it was boiling for. I quickly took a reading this morning and it's already 1080 so as I was a doing a 60 minute boil to get 1072 and now it's 1080 I would say it had been boiling for 90-120 mins.. does sound right?
Another problem i have is as it has boiled for probably 120mins I had 20gm of summit at at 60 and then another 25gm of summit/chinook at 30mins (then I fell asleep) the IBU's which I havent done the calculations yet will be through the roof?
Thoughts on adding water to bring the gravity down before I boil tonight or just leave it at 1080 due to the higher IBU?

specs: mashed at 64 degrees 90mins
ibu's around mid 60's from memory
pale/golden promise base 85%... caramuich, dark munich, melanoidin

The 30 min addition will probably be more like 60 but conversely there will be slightly lower utilisation with the higher gravity.
A quick reboil, some late hops and you'll have slightly less, stronger, darker, more bitter wort.

Could have been much worse.

throw in lots of late hops and call it an IPA B)

westbrook0 said:
I must've turned it off (I am a sleepwalker)
Now you just need to train yourself to finish the boil, fill the cube and wash up too!

n87 said:
throw in lots of late hops and call it an IPA B)
haha It was going to be an IPA.. so would anyone add water or just ride the wave? I'm still undecided..

I've done one late night brew when I didn't remember tipping it into the fermenter. woke up in the morning with a rather sore head and checked the fermentation fridge. There is my wort, fermenting away. a dirty old piece of glad wrap over the whole in the lid with a bit of grass and hair in it. Ferment was done in 3 days and it was one of the best beers I have ever brewed. A northern brown ale if I recall correctly!

I think beer is like some sort of parasite. It gets into your brain and takes over, turning you into a zombie in order to reproduce itself!

When you say there was grass in the wort are we talking Blow bro?

Load up, load up, load up, the late hops. Your bittering now needs to balanced with flavour resins and aromatics.

So I reboiled for fifteen minutes then added 5 minutes and flameout.. while it was heating up I thought I would take out the two hop bags that were in there... I felt like I was at a trout farm.. I fished out five hop bags! so that means??? I have no idea what happened sunday night! when I got home last night I brought up the recipe on beersmith and deleted my hop additions after 30mins and re entered 5mins and flameout. This was prior to fishing out all the hop bags so now I officially have no idea what quantity of hops were in there all I know is that there is summit, chinook, cascade and glacier.. interesting to see how this one turns out and if it's good I dont know how I could brew it again? fall asleep again maybe? I ended up with 17litres was meant to yield 21 i think.. I ended up with a gravity of 1084 instead of my target 1072.. I brewed a double ipa while sleeping..brilliant

Latest posts

Back