Fixing my high OG export stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
I've got a Rye Export stout that has finished up (or given up) fermentation at 1.028 (about 56% attenuation). It's way too sweet.

I've done the fast ferment test, the swirl, the temp raise and it hasn't moved.

The grist was: 60% Maris, 25.5% Rye, 6.5% Crystal, 4.5% Roast Barley, 2.5% Chocolate. OG: 1.071. I mashed at 67.5C, however it was the first brew on a new system, so I ended up adding a kilo of DME to get to my gravity. I added 2 medium toast american oak dominos to the cube (boiled for 15m and soaked in makers mark for a month).

I think in hindsight, I mashed too high for a beer with that much DME in it. I pitched a stepped up and decanted 2.5L starter of second gen WLP013 at 19C and raised to 21C over the course of fermentation. I've used the same yeast in other brews with no attenuation issues.

I see I've got two options with what I have on hand:

1) rack to a new vessel with an active starter of WLP001 (I will also have a yeast cake of angry WLP530 ready by the weekend); OR

2) brew another cube of dry stout with a dry mash schedule (perhaps some simple sugar) and ferment it out with WLP001 and then blend it with the rye stout.

​Any advice here would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back