Fcuck you Tasmania

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feldon said:
1996 was the watershed year for Tasmanian xenophobia. Just ask Martin Bryant.
As 1994 was a watershed year for sodomy.

mje1980 said:
Dave, are you aware your post contains the words "Tasmanians", "sex", and "cousin".

Just sayin
Yeah well, we were both pretty drunk.
And she was hot.
Probably wouldn't do it again though..

This thread turned into a reenactment of Monty Pythons meaning of life.
I'm just waiting for the "what about the fish scene" haha

LagerBomb said:
My sentiments exactly jlm (we must catch up for our yearly beer, sooner rather than later)
I work for one of those horrible Iron Ore places. A few weeks ago I had to go to our ship loading facility and had to put up with this.
Terrible, isnt it.
attachicon.gif
20140719_085105.jpg
Tassie in the middle of winter isnt too bad, eh. Even for an Iron Ore plant.
attachicon.gif
20140719_104755.jpg
The missus and I love Tassie,but Port Lincoln isn't so bad
.image.jpgimage.jpg

Ducatiboy stu said:
Have you tried to get an apprenticeship over the age of 22...
Stu, maybe you should research portable apprenticeships for over 21 year olds. Coming to a state near you! Another QLD initiative.

TasChris said:
for you or your mates cousin?
Oddly the law never applied to women. So I guess that's just how those small town girls roll.

Goodness me, not gone 8:00 am and already into the anal humor..
Should be a good day.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Have you tried to get an apprenticeship over the age of 22...
I started my apprenticeship at age 22 turned 23 in the first year. I sat down with the yellow pages and started at A. Half a day later I had a job with a company that started with B.
In my time with that company (over ten years in total) all the best apprentices were had were over 20 had done year 12 and were wiling to work. All the worst were 18 or younger and were not interested and wouldn't work. Sample size of only 9 apprentices but 5 were 22 or older when they started with us.
Basically I reckon you need to have worked a shit job to appreciate a good one, most older apprentices have worked a shit job and can see how great an opportunity an apprenticeship is.

bradsbrew said:
Stu, maybe you should research portable apprenticeships for over 21 year olds. Coming to a state near you! Another QLD initiative.
Adult apprenticeships are amazingly hard to get....

Ducatiboy stu said:
Adult apprenticeships are amazingly hard to get....

...with a small company or tradesman who's after cheap labour for four years. However, any large company whose focus is on quality of work and not on saving a few hundred bucks a week often prefer someone with more experience, motivation and responsibility. The thing is, most companies nowadays will only accept candidates who have completed a pre-apprenticeship. A costless way of separating the wheat from the chaff I guess.

Camo6 said:
However, any large company whose focus is on quality of work and not on saving a few hundred bucks a week often prefer someone with more experience, motivation and responsibility.
Which is not common

Unfortunately, nor is common sense.

Bridges said:
Basically I reckon you need to have worked a shit job to appreciate a good one,
Indeed. And that rings true right throughout your working life, not just as an apprentice

A lot of the young blokes now just dont give a shit, but the ones that do are like gold. And I will go out of my way to teach them what I know, if they want to learn

In some ways, adult apprenticeships are not the answer, as it can lead to younger school leavers being disillusioned. Its the old adage from even when I did my appreticeship, ......why work for shit money doing shit jobs when you can work at McD's for more money...and half price burgers...

I'm a big believer of giving apprenticeships to school leavers, while a lot of my work mates are all for adult apprentices. I started as a school leaver, and although I wasnt mature enough to really be at work, I soon learned my way in life. An apprenticeship back then certainly put you in your place. My employer normally employs one adult and one school leaver apprentice every 1 to 2 years. I agree the adults are easier to train and make bigger inroads into their apprenticeship, but the school leavers have got to have a place to start. Its just laziness on a tradesmans part if he opts for the easier option of training an adult.
We have had a few duds come through, but they are normally gone pretty quickly. I love the challenge of taking a fresh and untrained person, and molding them into a tradesman. Some of our adult apprentices are already stuck in bad habits or ideals, that we will never be able to change. The difference these days is that kids leave school and still expect to be treated the same as they are at school. Its a big world out there. Some never adapt, but those that do turn into top quality tradesmen.

Yeah I do agree with what your saying and in over 15 years in automotive I've only ever trained junior apprentices. The reason for that though is they are cheap and they're is not too many adults foolish enough to enter this industry late.
The problem with a lot of large workshops nowadays is the rate of tradesman to apprentice is lower and you then get a bunch of kids together without enough supervision and they come to the end of their time with sweet FA knowledge. Well this is my experience anyway but I suspect its a completely different game in the building industry.
But I need to believe in mature age apprentices because at the moment I'm trying to become one!

Good luck with the apprenticeship Camo6.
We dont treat our young apprentices as cheap labour. They all have to do the same work, so maybe the adult ones are expensive labour. The one down side of adult apprentices is that they often come with baggage from the "shit" jobs they have done before. Quite often we are trying to get rid of bad work habits that they have brought with them. With school leavers we get the chance to develop the good work practices from the start.
I worked it the Auto industry for a few years as a career change (worked as a service adviser for Mitsubishi and Subaru). I was appalled at the rates the tradesmen were paid, relying on bonuses to make a half decent wage. The one thing that helped their wages improve was the mining boom, as a lot of auto mech left for the mines and the money. We had to up the rates to keep mechanics. I left not long after, due to the pay, 50 hour weeks for $32000/year - no thanks. There are only a few people making money in the car indsustry, and it aint the mechanics.

Latest posts

Back