Fcuck you Tasmania

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
practicalfool said:
- do sex changed people prefer trans-sexual or trans-gender as a term? I mean, the whole acronym GLBTYP (or something like that) doesn't quite explain it.
The ones I have met are just happy being called by there first name....

So you are saying that 'these people' aren't english. These variables do not make your ethnicity. Is a white english person whose religion is islam not also pom. point is you do not have to be white anglo blah blah blah to be considered a pom. Again its all the thin edge of the wedge, but an important concept to protect/argue for etc.

Elz said:
So you are saying that 'these people' aren't english.
No, I'm saying that the whinging Pom trope applies to a narrow range of English people. Generally not the black and/or Muslim ones. In the same way that the laconic but dumb Aussie trope doesn't apply to Australians of Vietnamese ethnicity. They're no less Australian, just not part of that particular stereotype.

Also, you realise that ethnicity and nationality are not always the same thing, right? Most English Muslims are not ethnically "English".

bites tongue.. Time ...to...move...on... .last post on this subject, honestly! So your ethnicity is bound by your religion? News to me, i thought it is how person associates their individual ethnicity and how it relates to there nationality. Not bound by religion. Is Tony Abbott a Catholic or an Aussie? I pretty sure most would say Aussie ( maybe other adjectives also come to mind) Enjoy your night, nearly half way through the bottle of Turkey!!!
Cheers all
Elz

Elz said:
. Is Tony Abbott a Catholic or an Aussie? I pretty sure most would say Aussie ( maybe other adjectives also come to mind)
Yeah.....you could take " CaTholic or aN aUssie"........and work out what he is.......just saying....

Dont want to upset his fan club, small as it may be....someone likes him

Prince Imperial said:
But those variables you refer to (Muslim, black, Irish) are further examples of structural disadvantage, so it has everything to do with it . The "whinging Pom" stereotype applies to Anglo-Saxon Protestant Englishmen. I can see how someone in that demographic might be offended by it, but I'll reserve my sympathy for victims if racism for whom the impact is more than hurt feelings. Like Mike Brown.
Was just about to get really offended, but remembered I'm an atheist. Phew

If you're going to bite your tongue, then bite it. If you're going to keep talking shit, then don't pretend you're not. Ethnicity, nationality and religion are three separate things. Tony Abbott is both Australian, Catholic and ethnically Anglo/Celtic/Saxon (unsure exactly). I reckon the half a bottle of turkey hasn't done your powers of logic/reasoning any favours mate. I'd drink the rest slowly.

The great thing about religion is there are so many to choose from.....and you can switch when ever you like.......bit harder with skin colour thought...

Having visions of him leaping overboard & swimming the last few hundred meters, then talking to the press in budgie-smugglers & a life-savers cap.

That was fun.

Seriously shits me that anyone could equate calling anyone a whinging Pom with racism. I lose nothing when it's said to me, and it changes nothing. It doesn't even denote that the person saying it has anything less than respect. It's completely harmless, and certainly does not denote that the speaker considers themselves superior to me which in my book is the threshold for something to be racist (or any other ist)

And anyway, my iPad's predictive spelling keeps changing whinging Pom to whoring Pom. Which is nice.

Prince Imperial said:
Having visions of him leaping overboard & swimming the last few hundred meters, then talking to the press in budgie-smugglers & a life-savers cap.
Does your work offer free counselling for this sort of shit?

Prob cost an extra $7 to see a doctor to get a referal to a shrink....

Back