Fcuck you Tasmania

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers LB.
Yeah, the wages are the biggest let down in that game. As a senior tech on the floor I could make as much if not more than the advisors who were working from 7am to 6pm and dealing with irate customers all day. I can't see it improving in the near future. Cars are getting more complicated but its becoming a supply and fit industry where untrained TA's replace components under instruction. I know of one place that employs 2 master techs and the rest of the workshop are award rate trade assistants without any qualifications. But it is what it is and while I love working on cars it ain't gonna secure my future. Just wish I made the move 10 years ago but I'm still a ways off 70!
And to stay on topic, I love Tasmania and can't wait to visit again. Except for Queenstown, that place was kinda spooky.

I tend to agree that good tradesmen dont get the pay they deserve, its sad to see the person in the office getting the same as you and they sit in a nice airconditioned office and doesnt get filthy dirty and have to work in some really shit conditions. It takes years to become a proficient tradesperson, way more than the 4 yrs you do as an apprentice, you do as much, if not more training and skilling than some of those that go to Uni. Of course the skill sets are different, and a Doctor will always earn more than a mechanic, and for some, Uni just isnt for them.

Some people are paid to think, some are paid to do. Take it as you may, but there are far fewer thinkers than doers. And I don't mean the ones that sit in an aircon office and tick boxes. That's supply and demand for you, the bloke working out the business program is gonna take a cut off each worker's product, typically the better ones will manage more product and take a larger cut. It doesn't mean the worker shouldn't get paid more if he/she works harder but the tradesman's bargaining power is weaker because there are more of them, how many ways are you gonna split that pie!
After a while in any business running it's course though the office workers are just bean counters for the most part.

I suppose this is all part of the bigger problem/s but can't see how it impacts so much on the future of forests and minimising clearfell in Tasmania.

practicalfool said:
I suppose this is all part of the bigger problem/s but can't see how it impacts so much on the future of forests and minimising clearfell in Tasmania.
Yeah, c'mon bribie. Hurry up and start the "Tradesmen are a pack of cnuts" thread!

We don't clear fell except for plantation forests, which are planned for that reason. Selective logging is what it is ask about. The notion that we just go in and chop down forests is nothing but pure propaganda. Selective logging had been going on for a long time, and supplies the toner industry, not the wood chip industry.

billygoat said:
He's already had a whinge about Australian tradesmen, he has had a whinge about most things.
Yeah....had it in my mind somewhere he's done that already. If only everything was like northern pomgolia 50 yrs ago.

So lets pick on someones ethnicity, that pretty a constructive way to advance the argument

full acceptability towards wannabe Aussies (fatwa): not a bad an ideology

Elz said:
So lets pick on someones ethnicity, that pretty a constructive way to advance the argument
Welcome to the conversation.

In the words of Mohandas Gandhi "He started it".

But why stop at an ethnicity.......check out the whinging pom's "Problem with the way australian women speak" thread (or something along those lines) that recently popped up in the off topic forum. Riveting stuff. Didn't see you pop up with with your SJW opinion then?

Or the times when I (and he) have been modded when I've called out his racist bullshit, intentional or not (Why can't Rolf Harris sing his original lines to "Tie me kangaroo down sport"? Why?). Or when (memorably for me) I got some solid opinions from my wife who works with disabled kids about a very stupid pic he put up in the no topic thread. Replied with said facts, and.....basically got modded again.

But when someone made some disparaging comments to one of his mates via PM a few years ago about how old people shouldn't be able to use the internet.....**** me was there a stink, whinging pom left the forum and all (for roughly 10 minutes). Agism at work!!!

If you're going to dish it out (and this is all no topic stuff......doesn't affect the meat and bones of the forum in any real manner), you'd better be able to take it. And lately there's been a lot of cut and paste TUMBLR style activism from gramps about where I live, spouting opinions about shit he has no real idea about. So pardon me for making what can be perceived as a bigoted reply to someone who's comfortable making bigoted/racist/misoginist remarks online at will.

I know stu.....I seem so nice.......but I'm actually a vindictive prick with a really good memory.

Yeah yeah my dads bigger then your dad and sticks and stone wont break my bones! Does this really warrant a valid view for the society we live in, haven't we moved past this mindset? i am aware that many on this forum view the world from a black and white perspective; but many of us see any form of racism as an " unAustralian" (friggin love/hate that term). Really not acceptable in any form. Mods really lacking in pulling people up on this forum; taking the piss NOT an acceptable point of view
Cheers
Elz

Back