Fat Yak -- Thin Yak?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattSR

Reaction score
I know I shouldnt admit this, but I just bought a 6 pack of commercial beer, my favourite Fat Yak, and it tastes like shit. Almost like they've added water to the brew.. This beer used to have a malty rich flavour but its crap now..

I guess its another reason to more brew more of my own :)

Has anyone one else noticed the same thing?

This beer used to have a malty rich flavour
[/quote]

really??? When?

Got a 6-pack the other day... Seems ok to me. Ok.

I got a slab of them a couple of weeks ago when we were away & I didn't have access to home brew. They were fine.

I got a slab of them a couple of weeks ago when we were away & I didn't have access to home brew. They were fine.

Are you rich Hatchy?
Fat Yak is awesome, Have tried to get close to brewing a similar beer and I'm not there yet.

IMO it has changed i had it when it first come out it was much better.

Are you rich Hatchy?
Fat Yak is awesome, Have tried to get close to brewing a similar beer and I'm not there yet.

If we were ever going to be rich the honeymoon has put a stop to it. The slab of fat yak was before we started on the micros. That's when things got expensive.

Edit to add quote.

If we were ever going to be rich the honeymoon has put a stop to it. The slab of fat yak was before we started on the micros. That's when things got expensive.

Congrats, marriage tends to make men poor. No more micros or cartons of Fat Yak for you.

You've seen my supply of grain & hops mate, not a massive concern for now.

Congrats, marriage tends to make men pour.
Corrected.

I don't recall Fat Yak being particularly malty, but I did hear that the recipe was changed for the worse some time ago. Haven't tried it in ages... I wonder if the UniBar still has it on tap?

I know I shouldnt admit this, but I just bought a 6 pack of commercial beer, my favourite Fat Yak, and it tastes like shit. Almost like they've added water to the brew.. This beer used to have a malty rich flavour but its crap now..

I guess its another reason to more brew more of my own :)

Has anyone one else noticed the same thing?

+1 - 100% agree. It used to be great. As with all beers (little creatures ETC) once it catches on they change it for mass production and to make more $$$. It is happening with everything these days and it shits me no end.

RIP Fat Yak.

I wonder if the UniBar still has it on tap?

Ahhh, the good old UniBar....Those were the days.

When i was at Adelaide Uni, all the UniBar had on tap was Coopers Pale and maybe West End or VB. That's how my long association with the green label got started. Many a sunny afternoon spent on the balcony with a pint of CPA in hand.

If only they'd had something like Fat Yak or any of the little creatures stuff on tap then. That'd have been awesome....

The orginal batches, not sure how many, were from the Garage in Dandenong. It is now brewed at Cascade in Tasmania and is pretty lackluster. On tap it's bearable but any bottles I've had recently have been pretty average. That could also be because I buy them from crap bottle shops when I'm povo though.
Alpha Pale Ale on the other hand is one of the best "craft beers" brewed by a major brewery in Australia in my opinion.

I remember the first time I had Fat Yak from tap. It was like an angel had pissed on my tonsils. Had it from a bottle the other week and was disappointed. On the other hand I had Big Helga from a tap a few months ago and it was difficult to drink. From the bottle during an Octoberfest party it was very nice.

Do some of the smaller breweries have some sort of consistency issue?

Do some of the smaller breweries have some sort of consistency issue?

More like "accounting" issues.

I had some on tap a few weeks ago, great beer, and so far never had a bad bottle.

was in a pub in Kiama a couple of weeks ago.
Had a fat yak on tap...it was fine.

Then I had a little creature pale ale on tap and Kapow!!! heaps more balls .

IMO it has changed i had it when it first come out it was much better.

Totally agree

Although having them make a lot more of it, and sacrifice some quality, mean more and more often there's something to choose from in pubs rather than having to drink caaaaaaaaaaaarlton

i dont buy anything from matilda anymore.. all starting to have that megaswill feel about it, the alpha is the only beer in their range drinkable imo

i dont buy anything from matilda anymore.. all starting to have that megaswill feel about it, the alpha is the only beer in their range drinkable imo

I agree, IMO fat yak is there simply to undercut any micro that wants to sell kegs, this is CUB's way of maintaining control on the taps, the bottle market is a bit harder for them to control but matilda bay sure is undercutting other microbreweries on price on that front too. I asked my local why they couldnt put a real craft beer on tap, such Mountain Goats Hightail Ale, they answered that they would have to sell for a dollar dearer a pint. Conclusion: Fat Yak = Tap Wars, control for supremacy

I feel it a double edged sword to drink matilda bay beers, do you reward & encourage CUB for making better beer than VB /Carlton etc or are you just allowing them to squeeze micros out?

Tastewise, it really aint great & very inconsistent, both hopping rates & freshness are always very variable (is that just bad brewing or an attempt to look like a micro unrelated to it's big brother?)

Back