Fat Yak(tastes Like Crap)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banora brewer

Reaction score
Hi, just cracked open a fat yak and it tastes like crap. Anyone else have this problem?

Can you be a bit more descriptive of what crap is? I had some fresh the other day and was best it's ever been

Just bought a 6 pack and finding mine is the same...Very bitter

I have just got back from Echuca where I have been working - not a lot of great beer choices up there in the Pubs so I did have a few Fat Yaks draught and they were fine - easy drinking , balanced, good malt body nice hop aroma and flavour etc

problem must be in the bottles then.

Yes mate, I , and friends, have had the same problem. The first time I have ever been angry enough to voice a complaint to a manufacturer.

This is a copy of my email, and CUBs :angry: response;

enquiry Well done guys, you've really destroyed your best beer and all my hard work convincing everybody I know and meet to try it! Fat Yak is now fucked! Sorry, won't be buying any more.You worked hard for market acceptance and then dumb it down, why?

Thank you for contacting us at CUB and for bringing your concerns to our attention.
We have not changed the recipe of production method of Fat Yak.

We are proud of the quality of our products and we take great efforts to ensure our products meet our customer's expectations.

Our production lines are world class and include many processes to ensure the integrity of our products. Standard procedures on our production lines include inverted rinsing of bottles just prior to filling, capping or sealing immediately post filling and numerous checks to ensure weight and content standards are met.

Should you continue to have quality concerns, please retain a sample of the affected product and contact us on the toll free number listed below so we can collect and analyse the product.

Please contact us again should you have any further queries we can assist you with.

Kind Regards,
CUB - Consumer Relations
1800 007 282 | www.cub.com.au
"Enjoy Responsibly"

Yep, it tastes like crap.

My local has it both on tap and in stubbies.
Personally I believe it tastes better on tap, probably due to being in the glass and the whole aroma thing.
Either or it is a bloody beautiful drop IMO.

I've had it within the last 6 months and thought it was completely drinkable if unremarkable. I tried the matilda bay lager...my gf and I bought 14 stubbs of various lagers from Dans to do a taste test (we are narrowing down what beers she likes so I have something to aim for), and I hate to say but the matilda bay bo pils came last. Funny given that in a blind test out of all of them my gf (and I - but it wasn't blind for me) ranked pilsner urquell number one. Compared to the various other bits and pieces (Gage Roads scored pretty well - middle of the field, even higher for their mid strength pils), it was rubbish. It made the fat yak seem like an extravagantly well crafted beverage.

edit: tried to attach a humorous gif file but it did't work.

+1 for it tasting better on tap. But i dont think it's because it's in glass as i pour everything into a glass before i drink it.
I dont buy it at my local bottlo anymore due to every bottle i get lacking the hop character you get when it's on tap and fresh.

I had it on tap at 1 place and it must have been fresh because it was delicous, hoppy, you could taste fresh cascade.
Had it at another more TAB/old man pub and it was sh*t. I probably got a pot of beer thats been sitting in the lines for a month.

otherwise could it be a sterilising thing in the bottling line? heating the hops and bittering them?
I doubt CUB would be set up for any kind of Hop aroma in their beers.

Had one last night at the Platform Bar, Brisbane as an alternative to the usual orange, chill hazed and frozen offerings

:p

Very nice.

defrosted it first for 10 minutes.

Had one last night at the Platform Bar, Brisbane as an alternative to the usual orange, chill hazed and frozen offerings
Hmmm, SHI not good enough hey? ;) I'll nb. the pre- ordering requirement though, ta! :p

Bottled stuff has nothing unusual about it here, at least as of a fortnight ago, but our stock could be a bit dusty by the time we get our mitts on it.

Edit: Typo...

Hmmm, SHI not good enough hey? ;) I'll nb. the pre- ordering requirement though, ta! :p

Bottled stuff has nothing unusual about it here, at least as of a fortnight ago, but our stock could be a bit dusty by the time we get our mitts on it.

Edit: Typo...

I was too pissed to climb the hill, having been on the turps with TidalPete, Batz, Screwtop and roboscot since 10 AM :chug:
IH next Wednesday if you are still on.

General annoucement: International Hotel Spring Hill Wednesday 4 till late session anyone interested to sup Rudy's brews (five bucks a pint)

:party:

When Fat Yak was first released I loved it. Over the past twelve months I have found that both bottled and tap beer its not that good as what it used to be.

I've tasted Fat Yak in NSW, ACT, SA, VIC and WA, now I'm wondering is its a storage problem i.e. too hot, too long, too cold.

Personaly I stopped buying Fat Yak about November last year.... No more for me.

My 2 worth

Cheers
C :icon_cheers:

Bottles have a finite shelf life, which is exacerbated by poor storage conditions. Don't judge a beer based on a badly stored and handled bottle.

I find it pretty one-dimensional. Like a caricature of a craft APA. Carlton Draught + hop cordial. But that's just me.

I have just got back from Echuca where I have been working - not a lot of great beer choices up there in the Pubs so I did have a few Fat Yaks draught and they were fine - easy drinking , balanced, good malt body nice hop aroma and flavour etc

problem must be in the bottles then.

Agreed.

Had it once of a many times on tap, it must have been really fresh, and it was a very well balanced, fresh tasting hoppy great beer - IMO [That time] an awesome beer.. Luck of the draw it seems...

Never had a 'great' one from a stubby tho!

IME.

Hell I wouldn't mind a bitter fat yak, bought a carton last week and it was fruitier than the missus' cocktail. Nothing like the taps.

Latest posts

Back