False Bottom For A Rectangular Esky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slight

Reaction score
I recently drilled a hole in my 25l esky about an inch from the bottom in order to attach the tap in easily. The manifold I use now doesn't quite touch the bottom of the esky so I'm missing out on quite a bit of extract which is giving me low efficiency.

Has anyone made a false bottom for a rectangular cooler? It would make it easier to get all the liquor out.

I can't help you with the false bottom but for my manifold I just bent a piece of copper from the tap down to the esky floor which I attach SS braid to so the manifold sits flat on the bottom. As long as you have some tube on the outlet lower than the bottom of the esky it siphons it pretty well all out.
MashtunBraid.jpg

How thick is the copper and SS braid?

Last time I tried to use braid it just constricted and nothing came through.

Slight said:
How thick is the copper and SS braid?

Last time I tried to use braid it just constricted and nothing came through.
The copper is regular 1/2" copper and the braid is from an "easy hooker".

I have never had problems with the braid crushing and I don't recall anyone else ever reporting it. In fact the first time I ever tried the SS braid I stuffed one full of stainless steel scrubby (thinking it would crush), I only ever tried that stunt once.

Mind you I only have 5-6kg (dry) of grain sitting on it.

I hear ya Slight! I was thinking exactly the same thing too.

I was going to build a false bottom for mine by making a stainless perforated platform, with say 5mm hole size and then lining it with some termi-mesh. Only problem is, the termi-mesh cost about $80 /m2. So building a copper manifold was heaps cheaper.

In the mean time I'm gonna keep my eye out for any off-cuts that may be floating around, might still be able to do it that way.

cheers

vlbaby

Don't let me damp your enthusiasm for the false bottom, I have never tried one myself but the problem I hear reported most with them is grist making its way underneath if it is not mounted securely.

I am doing larger size partial mashes using about 3-3.5 kilos of grain per mash.
The size of the SS braiding I am using is relativley short compared to some others. I have done 3 mashes with this one and have not had a problem so far. I do not think I will have a problem at all when i need to use between 5 - 7 kilos of grain.

cheers

Tun.JPG

Is it OK to ask here?

I need to know if a 28 litre esky for $14 is reasonable.

A large commercial discount chain has them. I think they are from a nation that the World Bank is currently exploiting.

Is this a reasonable mash capacity?

I may be buying a few as Seasonal gifts.

Weizguy,

You might find 28 litres a little small and restricting after a couple of brews.
In theory with a grain to liquor ration of 3litres/kg you could mash around 9kg but it would be fill right to the top.
Where it would become restricting was if you wanted to batch sparge.
I'd look for something bigger if you can find it.

Beers,
Doc

posted this elswere but this is what i use at the moment

Doc said:
Weizguy,

You might find 28 litres a little small and restricting after a couple of brews.
In theory with a grain to liquor ration of 3litres/kg you could mash around 9kg but it would be fill right to the top.
Sort of related to this thread, I have been eyeing off a 32L rubbermaid esky. I brew only 6 times a year and at that only 22 L batches of 5kg of grain with mashout for 1050 OG wort (Which promash says will have a total volume of 25 L). A 32L esky is adequate for a batch sparge isn't it, and if i wanted to ramp the OG to 1080 plus on the rare occasion, i could reduce the batch size couldn't i, which is not a problem as i drink only 3 stubbies of beer a week on average. So in short for a person with my needs 32 L is fine isn't it?

Cheers

Will

the pics i just posted are of a 33 liter esky.

I make 25 liter batches of 1.050 beer and its only 2/3 full

that much beer will last you almost 6 months.

man... no ofence intended here but why not just buy a good carton of premium beer now and again.
I spose its better when you make ityour self though hey :D
Christ i usually have 2 firmenters running hot all the time

G'day there Weiz. Good to run into you the other day at Mark's HBS...

I use a 47 litre esky to mash in. For your average 23 litre brew it is a touch too big, but only a touch. The grain bed is deep enough to filter and I have plenty of 'head room' to expand in volume in the future. I batch sparge and find that I fill my esky to 2/3 at least, which would sugggest to me that a 28 litre job might be pushing it. Either way, give it a go.

Shawn.

Hi Slight,

I used to use a rubbermaid with a manifold and I used to tilt it so that the tap is at its lowest before I cleared the wort and sparged.
This used to let most of the wort run out of the mash tun.
I now use a false bottom in a s/steel vessel with the outlet tube coming out of the bottom of the mash tun and I can drain every drop of wort from this set up.

Cheers

Tony said:
man... no ofence intended here but why not just buy a good carton of premium beer now and again.
I spose its better when you make ityour self though hey :D
Christ i usually have 2 firmenters running hot all the time
A Premium taste is something premium beer lacks. I've figured my brewing problem out, i come from a hospitality background and i found i like making beer more than drinking beer. There was a stage i was considering studying to brew beer, as i am still to hit full time work (ie uni bludger).

I love the research aspect, and the search for the best value components, and the "feeling" that i am saving money from making my own beer.

My proper AG setup is slowing coming into realisation

PS I have only had my 2 fermenters going at the same once, and one of the batches was a half batch LOL!!

Will

Sounds like U need some brew buddies to keep those fermentors at capacity.
More data for your research.
Biology graduate - Newcastle Uni - X-uni bludger - currently a public servant providing IT support.

Weizguy said:
Sounds like U need some brew buddies to keep those fermentors at capacity.
I have a stack of mates who brew, just not with me. The problem that gets up my nose is that they are content with K and K, when i am up and onwards to AG. 1 guy in particular makes absolutely disgusting beer and for that matter wine ie try pineapple wine. The problem is he's got to ambitious and hasn't got the basics down pat, i'm too nice to say anything about his products. Makes a good drain cleaner.

I can't really speak though, i haven't got the heart to tip out beers which whislt still drinkable don't get my tick of approval and therefore nobody else should drink it. Got about 4 crates of the stuff.

Not that i want to stop the chit chat, but need some answers for my "research" i take it that a 32L esky is more than fine for my limited drinking capacity!!

Cheers

Will

Yep, sounds like U have a good size mash tun 4 the job you do. :)

...and in my case, I could do double batches at up to, say, 1050 OG, or a decent barley wine (up to 9 kg grain, and boil down to preferred OG). I use a separate lautering vessel (old fermentor) with a false bottom. Saw the idea in an old Ausbeer mag. Sounds like we both done good. :eek:

Party on, Will! :chug:

Back