EZ Water Calculator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soay4698

Reaction score
Hi

For people who use http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/ how do you set up your grain pH values for the various malts you use? Is it simply just soaking a sample of grain in distilled water for 15 minutes and then taking a pH reading?

Thanks
Rob.

Hi

I am trying very hard to predict my mashing pH value using various calculators and always coming up with different results.

Using Brewers Friend online calculator, is it better to enter the Lovibond values for each and every grain entry. For example, Maris Otter 4kg Base Malt 2.5, Brown Malt 0.676kg 48.8, Black Malt 0.242kg 491.1. If I do the predicted pH is 5.43 with no water treated at all but if I leave these values out then the pH is 5.86.

Murphy's water report results were Ca 98 Mg 17 SO4 121.28 Cl 41.39 pH 6.7.

Thanks
Rob.

Soay4698 said:
Hi

I am trying very hard to predict my mashing pH value using various calculators and always coming up with different results.

Using Brewers Friend online calculator, is it better to enter the Lovibond values for each and every grain entry. For example, Maris Otter 4kg Base Malt 2.5, Brown Malt 0.676kg 48.8, Black Malt 0.242kg 491.1. If I do the predicted pH is 5.43 with no water treated at all but if I leave these values out then the pH is 5.86.

Murphy's water report results were Ca 98 Mg 17 SO4 121.28 Cl 41.39 pH 6.7.

Thanks
Rob.
I've always come closer to what BF predicts than EZ. They often land about 0.1 apart with same additions for me (EZ always the higher one).
I always add degrees Lov to BF so can't comment on differences there, but with all figures punched in, it's often very close to my actual measured pH.
Have you tried adding Lovibond figures for roast and crystals only (not worrying about base malts)? That Black malt is the one that will be affecting the pH drop the most, and I doubt the MO lovibond will do much. Not sure about brown.
You may have noticed that EZ doesn't ask for colour with base malts - only crystal and roast. - I will try to remember to leave the base colours out of BF next time and see if it lines up exactly with EZ.

Latest posts

Back