Eskys As A Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakey

Reaction score
:icon_drool2: Was thinking of using a rectangle willow 25L cooler as a mash tun but a mate advised me against using one because they are not meant to have hold hot liquids in them. If anyone has any wisdom on using esky as a mash tun it would be much appreciated. :icon_cheers:

As far as I know most modern eskys at least are designed to hold hot or cold temps. Don't have a willow though, mine is technice.
Cheers

not meant to hold liquid? what dose ice turn into when it melts?? you should be careful with boiling water as they are not built to hold boiling water but 75c is fine so no need to worry

not meant to hold liquid? what dose ice turn into when it melts?? you should be careful with boiling water as they are not built to hold boiling water but 75c is fine so no need to worry

sorry i meant hot liquids

yeah figured that after re reading it lol you should be fine if there was a problem the many on this forum that use them would say. I have heard of boiling water warping the plastic but never mash temp water.

sweet i was only gonna use a 25L willow cause im on a budget and have one at home i was going to convert untill i can afford something better

Mate, hundreds thousands tens of thousands of people mash in an esky.

would a grain /hop blocker be good enough or should i go with some sort of manifold or false bottom?
On a budget so making a false bottom may get expensive

sweet i was only gonna use a 25L willow cause im on a budget and have one at home i was going to convert untill i can afford something better

Lakey, i also use an Esky as a mashtun. They are great.

HOWEVER.

That 25L one your thinking of, i think i know that particular esky as i have a 25L blue willow. It's got a handle that closes the lid onto the esky itself yeah?
If so, i wouldn't use that particular esky as the lid is really thin and easy to warp. Mines warped and has never had hot liquid in it. The walls are very thin and i'm not sure it would be a good choice.

I know by your quote above that you are trying to get by until you can afford something better, but i'm not confident of telling you that this particular one will be fine.

If someone who has that particular esky uses it for a mash tun, then believe them over me, but compared to the Coleman esky i have, the willow is not close to being comparable in thickness or strength, and i feel like you will lose a lot of temp with it.

More than happy to be corrected.

As a general rule, esky's are a great choice, it's just i'm not sure about that particular esky....

Cheers,

Nath

good way to keep heat in a bit more is cut some styrofoam to fit in the esky tight but not to tight that you cannot get it out. once you put the mash on just push the foam down to the top of the liquid.

:kooi: Cheers big nath yeah i thought it might not cut it as a mash tun, i might start searching for a descent second hand esky brand cooler or the like.

would a grain /hop blocker be good enough or should i go with some sort of manifold or false bottom?

Lakey make a cheap copper manifold and run it to a ball valve. Thats what I done when i first started in the same size esky. Then when i upgraded to my current mashtun I used the same ball valve. you should be able to make the whole thing including the ball valve for under $30.

Cheers

I use a25 litre willow with copper manifold. Works a treat and has done around 30 batches. no probs with heat loss for 60 min rest. Go for it I say.

Daniel

If you're thinking of the one on special right now, it'd be fine. I think you'd be better off with a larger esky though. I use a cheap "Keep Cool" 38 litre jobbie that had some deformation of the internal plastic (ie no longer perfectly shaped) after the first mash but its seen a hundred or so since with no problem.

:icon_drool2: Was thinking of using a rectangle willow 25L cooler as a mash tun but a mate advised me against using one because they are not meant to have hold hot liquids in them. If anyone has any wisdom on using esky as a mash tun it would be much appreciated. :icon_cheers:

I use a 25L willow as my mash tun. The walls buckle a little but nothing too bad. It holds the heat ok.

Regarding a manifold, if you are on a budget why not try using a grain bag. The site sponsors sell them for about $20. I've made about 10 batches using my old esky and a grain bag. It might not be the best method but its pretty cost effective, free esky, $20 grain bag and you are up and mashing.

I use a25 litre willow with copper manifold. Works a treat and has done around 30 batches. no probs with heat loss for 60 min rest. Go for it I say.

Daniel

Likewise with 2 of my mates. They use the 25L Willow with a 1/2 inch copper pipe manifold and it works well for them. My 44L Willow is kicking along nicely, it's only had 25 brews through it but I've poured about 20 litres of water into it at 90 degrees before and it survived ok. :icon_cheers:

Round eskys are more dimensionally stable at higher temps (around 75-80 deg C) than square eskys ..... obviously at higher temps the plastic softens and deforms easier. so round esky (due to their configuration) can better withstand wall pressures because of their shape

I recommend round eskys over square eskys

i use my esky as a mash tun and an esky! been doing it for a little over 12 months now. when a brewday is in plan, i just screw the manifold onto the brass bunnings tube and away i mash! when its party time i unscrew the manifold and give it a good wash out. Mates still ask if the ball valve on the esky is a bit of overkill instead of the original plastic bung.

cheers!

Round eskys are more dimensionally stable at higher temps (around 75-80 deg C) than square eskys ..... obviously at higher temps the plastic softens and deforms easier. so round esky (due to their configuration) can better withstand wall pressures because of their shape

I recommend round eskys over square eskys

Yep, good call. I found this out straight after I'd built my square one :rolleyes:

The other way to sort out a manifold is to use stainless braid from a second hand dishwasher hose (check out a local repair shop or the dump) and a few bits from your local garden irrigation supply supplier.
Add that to a length of threaded brass tube, a flange nut and a cistern tap and you're in business.
Manifold_2.JPG
My manifold set me back about $10 - added to a $20 esky from Trademe/ Ebay I had my first mashtun.
Another option for an insulated mashtun is find whatever container you want to use and add a spray can of insulating foam sprayed around the outside - very effective and pretty cheap if you use a cleaned out vinegar container from your local takeaway as I did!

Latest posts

Back