Erlenmeyer flasks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattymoo

Reaction score
I'm looking at one of these to use with my soon-to-be-built DIY stir plate:

http://stationery.auspost.com.au/conical-erlenmyer-flask-2000ml.html

Looks like a good price for a Simax flask from what I can find, unless anyone has other suggestions.

My question is, are there any disadvantages for the Narrow Mouth vs Wide Mouth flasks for yeast starters? I plan on just using some foil on the top rather than a stopper/air lock.

Also...who knew that Australia Post sells lab equipment these days? Pity they can't spell the product name correctly.

narrow neck is a pain in the ass to spoon in your LDME when making a starter, wide mouth is easier for that but otherwise they will function the same.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
narrow neck is a pain in the ass to spoon in your LDME when making a starter, wide mouth is easier for that but otherwise they will function the same.
Solution to this is boil your starter in a saucepan, chill in the sink and then decant. Also don't have to worry about boil overs (unless you use that fancy foam control stuff).

Good price, might have to get one of those and upgrade from a 2L plastic juice bottle!!

Brilliant find matteus! I have been looking for a 2l one but neither G&G or KK have them.

Sounds like a good option then. I normally do batches of starter wort in mason jars in the pressure cooker so will only be adding liquids to the flask anyway.

Do you think I can use the same flask (2000ml) for stepping up from smallish volumes by just adding sanitised wort as the yeast grows, or do I need to have a smaller flask to begin with? I'll be starting with about 5-20ml volume of yeast slurry at a guess, not from slants.

matteus said:
Sounds like a good option then. I normally do batches of starter wort in mason jars in the pressure cooker so will only be adding liquids to the flask anyway.

Do you think I can use the same flask (2000ml) for stepping up from smallish volumes by just adding sanitised wort as the yeast grows, or do I need to have a smaller flask to begin with? I'll be starting with about 5-20ml volume of yeast slurry at a guess, not from slants.
You'd be better off with a smaller flask for stepping. If I reculture or step up from a small vial I usually start in my 500mL flask with between 200-300mL and step up from there (usually to 1L and the 2L).

JD.

$21.50 delivered, that good enough for me, just smashed one of mine.

Batz

JDW81 said:
You'd be better off with a smaller flask for stepping. If I reculture or step up from a small vial I usually start in my 500mL flask with between 200-300mL and step up from there (usually to 1L and the 2L).

JD.
Thanks JDW81. Ideally I'd like to re-purpose one of these 250ml Simax "plant pots" that we already own for use as a smaller flask:

image.jpg

I love the idea of a laboratory-themed pot plant but these things really aren't practical without drainage holes.

Obviously I have no idea of their previous usage so they may well have harboured horrible nasty stuff in the past. Is it possible to clean something like this enough to ensure that it's food safe? I'm guessing the answer is no...

Postage stays the same if you order 2. Might be a good idea to have a spare me thinks.

NealK said:
Postage stays the same if you order 2. Might be a good idea to have a spare me thinks.

Doh!

NealK said:
They sell autoclavable reagent bottles as well, so I picked up a couple in the same order for capturing yeast from the fermenter. Not a huge selection of sizes though.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I spoon my LDME into a 500ml measuring jug and dissolve before pouring it into my conical, making up the final volume, and boiling.

Seriously, that is bizarre. I'd never have looked to Aus post for this sort of thing.

The 2l conical is just fine. I use a 3l narrow neck al the time and just drop LME into the boiling water. Two butter knives and a little patience works just fine.

How long before they are all sold out?

matteus said:
Thanks JDW81. Ideally I'd like to re-purpose one of these 250ml Simax "plant pots" that we already own for use as a smaller flask:
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
I love the idea of a laboratory-themed pot plant but these things really aren't practical without drainage holes.
Obviously I have no idea of their previous usage so they may well have harboured horrible nasty stuff in the past. Is it possible to clean something like this enough to ensure that it's food safe? I'm guessing the answer is no...
You can always get glass to as new condition. Just clean with sodium percarbonate, pbq or whatever and boil water in it to sanitise, or autoclave or bake in the oven.

Seriously WTF Auspost!...

I'm going have to stock up :)

Are Simax deemed one of the 'better' brands or one of the more budget brands?

Nice find Matteus! This was the size I've been looking for to complete the set.

@DJ, all of mine are KK cheapies and while they have bubbles and imperfections I still have all of them. Surely these couldn't be worse!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Are Simax deemed one of the 'better' brands or one of the more budget brands?
AFAIK Simax are definitely one of the better brands, along with Schott. I would have liked to buy from a local HBS, but the products from G&G, KK etc. look to be the cheaper brands. However with glassware that may go straight onto a gas burner I have a strong preference for the higher quality stuff.

Anyone with lab experience is welcome to chime in!

BTW, I have no affiliation with any of these products or retailers.

Latest posts

Back