paper funnel for narrow mouth flask

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mb-squared

Reaction score
A few days ago I saw a post by someone asking about Erlenmeyer flasks and he was told by several people to avoid the narrow mouth flasks because they were too difficult to work with. This got me to thinking that perhaps my way of making a yeast starter isn't so common after all and that it might be useful to some if I posted a few pics of how I go about it. So here goes.

First, I start with a plain piece of paper and a ruler.

DSC07001.gif

Then I use the ruler to make some folds, kind of like making a paper airplane.

DSC07002.gif

DSC07003.gif

Once the creases are in place, then you can wrap the paper around and form a cone, albeit with a very small point. So I cut that off.

DSC07007.gif

DSC07008.gif

Then, with the flask and the paper funnel in place, I zero my scale

DSC07009.gif

add however much malt extract I need to add (in this case, 150 grams)

DSC07010.gif

With this funnel, the extract goes in as fast as I can pour it.

I then use the scale (since it's right there anyway) to tell me when to stop adding water. In this case I wanted 1.5 litres, so 1500 grams plus the 150 grams already in there. I overshot by a gram it appears.

DSC07012.gif

Then I put some foil on and boil it for 15 minutes. The foil is sterilized this way and I keep it on the whole time it is on my stir plate.

DSC07013.gif

I realize this is all very basic stuff for most of you, but perhaps it is helpful to a few of you.

All the best,

Matto

I did this for a while, but just with rolling the paper. The creases you mention are a great idea.

Most recently I got a brewing funnel from my LHBS. Great for putting fruit into carboys and this sort of purpose too.

This week I found the funnel left at a friends house. I decided to use a brown paper sandwich bag with a hole in one of the corners. Similar concept, but one step easier IMHO.

Ah yes, cutting a corner out of a paper bag would work a treat too.

Latest posts

Back