Erlenmeyer flasks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great prices! be keen to hear people's feedback on this.

Have also used the cook sod perc in the flask to clean them (up to hot, not boiling) - come up very clean!

Does it matter whether we use a large flask for a small starter? eg: 500ml in 3L or similar? I already have too much brew stuff :)

Cheers Matteus, bloody bargain. Picked up a couple of smaller ones too, for $5... Why not?

Maybe there was a drug shipment they intercepted.

Are Simax deemed one of the 'better' brands or one of the more budget brands?
Better by far than the Chinese flasks offered at cheaper prices these days, much thinner glass, much lighter & of better quality.
That's a good find alright! :super:
Does it matter whether we use a large flask for a small starter
Depends on the amount of yeast you pitch in your starter.
Ideally you need 100ml of starter wort for every 10ml of yeast. 100ml of starter in a 2000ml Erlenmeyer would not be enough for the stir bar to work efficiently if you get my drift?
Erlenmeyer bases are slightly concave.

It must be weird when something like this is posted on AHB, warehouse guys never pack an Erlenmeyer, come Monday they have a few dozen. WTF?

Batz

I get Glacier Brand from wiltronics 2L for 16.50 +postage - narrow neck.

LDME gets put in via a funnel and is boiled on my gas burner - never had a problem (with my second one!)

Slightly :eek:fftopic: but I tried to boil water in a "borosilicate" reagent bottle to sterilise it for capturing yeast and it cracked at the base and leaked water all over my sink within a minute on the flame. Are they not supposed to be directly heated? Makes me paranoid when using my flasks on flame now with more volume and my puppy loving to stand next to me when doing so....

JDW81 said:
Solution to this is boil your starter in a saucepan, chill in the sink and then decant. Also don't have to worry about boil overs (unless you use that fancy foam control stuff).
If you've got a flask and a gas stove/burner why not just boil the wort in the flask itself? Saves faffing about with saucepans.

Borosilicate is designed to be used on bunsen burners and things like that so I wouldn't have thought heating it on a gas stove of whatever would cause any issues. I only use the smallest burner on mine so it doesn't annihilate the flask with flame and have never had any issues. Either it wasn't borosilicate or it was already weakened somehow and that heating tipped it over the edge.

Great spotting Mateus, I have stocked up on a few of these

Thanks

Rocker1986 said:
If you've got a flask and a gas stove/burner why not just boil the wort in the flask itself? Saves faffing about with saucepans.

Borosilicate is designed to be used on bunsen burners and things like that so I wouldn't have thought heating it on a gas stove of whatever would cause any issues. I only use the smallest burner on mine so it doesn't annihilate the flask with flame and have never had any issues. Either it wasn't borosilicate or it was already weakened somehow and that heating tipped it over the edge.
+1 I funnel the DME into flask, add water, boil then cool in flask which is now perfectly sterilised from the heat/steam.

Edak said:
+1 I funnel the DME into flask, add water, boil then cool in flask which is now perfectly sterilised from the heat/steam.
Be wary of boil overs and they are hot as trot to handle without a handle.

^^ confused myself with that response.

Look like a good deal. Considering they're from Australia Post I would have thought postage alone would be $20.

TheWiggman said:
Look like a good deal. Considering they're from Australia Post I would have thought postage alone would be $20.
They do offer insurance but I reckon if its broken there is only one company to blame!

Stir plate completed and seems to be working well with my 250ml flask.

image.jpg

Now just waiting for the 2l flask to arrive. Has anyone else received theirs yet?

Ordered 2 on Sunday night and they were definitely showing as in stock. Still no sign of them.
Looks a bit shit really when you order something from the Australia Post website that is in stock and they can't deliver it in the same city within a week.

Yeah, still no sight of mine. Almost forgot about them.

I ordered 3 sizes on Sunday, no sign of them yet.

No sign of mine either.something did come today will find out soon but it better not be the flasks cos the other parcel was WAY more important!!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
No sign of mine either.something did come today will find out soon but it better not be the flasks cos the other parcel was WAY more important!!
Swedish Super-Sucker 2000?

Latest posts

Back