Erlenmeyer flasks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, don't like the sound of adding that into my beer given I don't filter and probably won't ever.

Hop oil/resin version sounds more natural, although don't quite understand the comment about yeast nutrient, if you add it in with the LDME before it boils is the antifoam still useful? What about an old coopers dry yeast sachet adding a pinch of that into the boil, any impact? I'd love to be able to boild a 2L starter in my 2 L flasks, at the moment even doing 1L in them is hairy and messy.

Why don't you just use a pot with the flask? Place the flask in a pot with some water in it and apply heat. Set and forget to a certain extent.
You can also throw in some salt to increase the boil temp as is done with pasta.

Beerisyummy said:
Why don't you just use a pot with the flask? Place the flask in a pot with some water in it and apply heat. Set and forget to a certain extent.
You can also throw in some salt to increase the boil temp as is done with pasta.
It would never get a proper boil I don't think. You think how long it takes to get water/wort to the boil when direct heat of up to 450 deg C from the hotplate is applied. You are limiting the direct heat to the normal boil temp of wort at most with your salt addition.

My 2c anyway.

Parks said:
It would never get a proper boil I don't think. You think how long it takes to get water/wort to the boil when direct heat of up to 450 deg C from the hotplate is applied. You are limiting the direct heat to the normal boil temp of wort at most with your salt addition.

My 2c anyway.
I guess that a proper boil is not actually needed in this case. It's just for nuking any nasties that might be in the water right?
If you're using extract for a starter, I see no point in a rolling boil. High temps over time are what you want IMO.

Sure, but I still think it'll take ages to get above 80 deg C (not tested, just my assumption).

Not really. I used to boil my 3L flask on the gas stove, but lately I've been without. In the meantime I've been heating the flask in my HX pot.

You just lift it out now and then and give it a swirl, or leave it in for longer. It gets up above 90c pretty quickly.

It's not perfectly sterile, but it's a good way to stop boil overs.

Latest posts

Back