Erlenmeyer Flasks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, I must be a bit dense. I thought people were culturing yest in these flasks. Why are they being subject to such extremes of temp ? Am I missing something ??

mika_lika said:
I'm sorry, I must be a bit dense. I thought people were culturing yest in these flasks. Why are they being subject to such extremes of temp ? Am I missing something ??
[post="126606"][/post]​
You boil the wort inside the flask and then cool it. Since you're not doing a transfer, it cuts down the infection risk.

mika_lika said:
[post="126606"][/post]​

No, you're not dense, just overlooking a preparatory process ;) - as Oblomov points out, we need to build a medium to culture the yeast in so we effectively make a micro wort out of malt extract, boil it briefly and then chill down to yeast pitching temps - the borosilicate flasks can handle flame and thus you can boil, chill and pitch in the one vessel.

Cheers,
TL

The erlenmeyer flask method seemed like a great idea so I got me some flasks & boiled away the dme & water.

I think I may have a further risk of infection. When boiling it always foams up & boils over, even with 1lt wort in a 2lt flask.

The coopers light dry malt im using doesnt seem to disolve completely & theres bits of undisloved malt that get picked up by the foam & coat the flask sides, rim, foil & then down the outsides.

I have used LHBS purchased dme before that had a more crystal appearance & im pretty sure that stuff dissolved completely. maybe the coopers dme is the problem?

How do you guys go, anyone get that happening? & is it a concern?

I used the Coopers dme and had the same thing happen. It looked like tea leaves floating around in the wort. I didn't want to risk it, so tipped it and used normal HBS dme.

nifty

You guys aren't getting the floaties confused with coagulated proteins are you?

TL

Not sure TL, can you educate me as to what coagulated proteins are?

I've only had the floaties with the Coopers dme, never with other brands.

nifty

What is the consences on sealing a Erlenmeyer Flask while doing a starter, Glad wrap, Bung or foil?

Derrick

Crazy said:
What is the consences on sealing a Erlenmeyer Flask while doing a starter, Glad wrap, Bung or foil?

Derrick
[post="126869"][/post]​

I use foil for when boiling the wort and chilling the wort, but when it comes time to pitching the yeast I use a rubber bung with an airlock.

vl.

I use foil for when boiling the wort and chilling the wort, but when it comes time to pitching the yeast I use a rubber bung with an airlock.

vl.
[post="126883"][/post]​
[/quote]

Cool I was just wondering as out of my three flasks they have two different sizes for the bung and neather seems to be standard.

Derrick

Necro alert. I just had my 3lt Schott Duran flask break and am now in the market for a quality flask again. Does anyone know where I can get one without pawning off a well worked kidney.

Slightly OT, but when I was making up a bunch of agar - the quickest way to heat it was to bung the beaker in the microwave. No need for hot plates/gas or mucking about.
Just do a few test runs to work out how long on which power level to get it heated without boil over.

Thanks Nullnvoid will have a look. Might upscale and get 2 x 5 lt flasks while im going. I know keg king do them cheap but was after something a little better.

I have had great success with Mad About Science. Good prices and the flasks have been great. All there stuff is great.
From their web site , the flasks are not European made and especially not German , you get what you pay for. I can get German made Schott Duran or cheaper Czech made , they're superior flasks.

Any links Roosterboy. I would rather buy quality.
I'll check out if I can get competitive freight to QLD. Freight is often the problem unless you process large numbers and can do a deal with a freight company.

I'll check out if I can get competitive freight to QLD. Freight is often the problem unless you process large numbers and can do a deal with a freight company.

I regularly use http://www.transdirect.com.au/ which provides a range of quotes from various freight outfits, as they're freight brokers. PM me your name and email, and I can "refer" you, and you'll get 20% off the quoted price of your first freight consignment.

Latest posts

Back