Schott Bottles To Giveaway

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RdeVjun

Reaction score
Gooday AHB Folks,
I have about 8 crates of surplus Schott bottles to give away. There's a mixture of 500ml and 1000ml with red and blue lids, they're autoclavable borosilicate glass and quite tough. They are very popular in laboratories with an endless number of different applications. Schott bottles can be boiled and then cooled while sealed, which has distinct advantages for storing sterile starter wort and working with yeast in general. I use them for harvesting yeast cake, rehydrating dried yeast, preparing starters- this sort of thing. A few other folks on the boards here that use them can comment on their utility, I think they're just brilliant and like a tough, sealable Erlenmeyer Flask with a screwtop lid.

I would prefer to send whole crates to home brew clubs, yeast ninja/farming groups for distribution to members. However, individuals are of course welcome to PM me if they want some, to be fair I'd be limiting the number for each individual, and the cost of freight would be their own responsibility, although I'll package them up appropriately of course.

Also there are a few boxes of surplus 5L glass bottles, about 4" neck, probably a dozen bottles all up. They're not very thick- walled (I accidentally broke one with ease yesterday), photos to come next week.

If you're wondering, I work in the public sector, all of these bottles were used for sampling surfacewater in a now- complete research project. Labs now supply prepared bottles and so these surplus bottles would otherwise be dumped, they've already been granted a reprieve from the industrial bin and I have been given the authority to dispose of them constructively. This sort of giveaway would just about be a first for the public sector, its notorious for wasting stuff by just tossing perfectly good equipment like this...

When I get a feel for the number of takers, I'll divvy them up evenly. So, you know the story- first in, best dressed! :icon_cheers:

I'd be interested in a few of the 500ml and 1000ml bottles, please keep a few set aside for me. I'll swap you for some of my recent beers if that suites :)

Wow, thanks RdeVjun.
I'd love a couple of the 5 litre and 1 litre ones if still available.

Beers,
Doc

Oh dear, PM overloading!!.. With the PM sending limits, I can't reply to everyone straight away, so please be patient, but I will get to you eventually!

I will tally up requests and divvy the Schotts up fairly, if you haven't specified a preference for size, either do so or you may get a coin toss deciding for you. If you want both, then it'll probably be an even split unless you've specified.

Thanks for your responses everyone, I'm rather glad to distribute government surplus constructively far and wide amongst the community for once instead of adding to landfill. (Makes me really mad the atrocious waste I've seen...)

PM sent
I would love some 1L and 500ml bottles.

I can also combine shipping for anyone in the inner west if people are keen.

It is crazy re: waste. Think of how many places on the earth that a couple of crates of schott bottles would make a huge difference (and not for brewing).

I can also combine shipping for anyone in the inner west if people are keen.

I've also sent a PM. As you say, can combine for Inner Westies. I'm happy to act as distribution point (if we're lucky :) ) or you can. Either way is fine with me.

Folks, the giveaway is pretty well fully subscribed now.

So, sorry to anyone if you didn't make it in time... I should've left posting of this until later in the day to be fair to central and western areas of the country, a thousand pardons for that and I hope you'll forgive me.

I'll be in touch directly with a PM for everyone who has expressed interest, if you don't quite get the quota you were after, I apologise, but I've been rather overwhelmed with takers. I didn't realise how quickly these would go...

Packaging will be for free, for freight I should be able to do something very cheap and pickups for locals should be available from next week.

:icon_cheers:

Wow, thanks RdeVjun.
I'd love a couple of the 5 litre and 1 litre ones if still available.

Beers,
Doc

I would go a couple of the 0.5 and maybe 2x 1litre. Wana split the shipping Doc?

If there's any left over, I'd be happy to act as collection point for WA brewers. Unfortunately we're the late risers! Personally I'd be interested in 1L.

Damn it, why did I have to go and call my parents and get stuck in a long conversation...

Totally missed this.

Me too, bloody work!

Sorry lads, early bird & all... I'll add a few more names to the late arrivals page. Who knows, another crate just might be squirreled away somewhere unobvious...

Cheers,
RdeV.

Back