• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Brisbane Area, Doing A Livingstone Order Who's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrissyBrew

MashMaster
Reaction score
www.livingstone.com.au
have good prices and postage is a flat $15.00 regardless of how much you are ordering if a couple of people want to go in for an order for lab get in touch.

So far I am looking at:
Magnetic Stirrer Bars
MSB40X7-8 40 x 8mm $3.96
MSB50X8 50 X 8mm $4.95

Test Tube Rack
A10433 50 position hole diamter 18mm $7.70 (poloyproline autoclaveable 134*C)

Thermometers
44-1-5-3 Red Spirit, -10 to 110*C Resolution 1.0*C $4.40 (great for calabration)

Glassware
Reagent bottle, Borosilicate Glass, Graduated with Screw cap and Pouring Ring Simax (cheaper version of Schott Duran, which is also avaiable)
DB0250S 250ml $5.50 (I will be getting 4 of these, they also hold a stir bar ok)
DB0500S 500ml $6.71

Flasks, Erlenmeyer
417119500 500ml $4.51 (I am down for two more of these)

Petri Dishes Dorosilicate Glass with Covers
49203080 80 x 15mm $1.27 (I am down for 10 of these)

Face Masks
TEC6001 3 ply ear loop blue 50 in a box $13.75 (for yeast plating, you can get better efficency but the price goes way up)

Latex Gloves
GLPF1000L 100 IN A BOX powder free $8.75

I am thinking abut some disposable syringes with needles
20.37 for a box of 100, if anybody is interested in splitting it. (i have it in mind for smack packs and the like). Either that I I should go for a glass syring and reuseable needle.

I am also thiking about 70% isopropry alcohol 5L for $37.40 would want to split this, but not sure if it is at a good price (warrants further investigation)

gday mate, im after some stuff from there, but i need to work out what i want yet, when are you looking at ordering?

have they a store in Brizzy? or interstate/mail order only....

Have ordered a few times off Livingstone. They have cheap lab gear. They are based in Sydney, no other offices.

Watch the thermometers, they have 1 degree graduations, but are not necessarily accurate to one degree. Check yours in a solution of water and ice slurry.

Make sure when buying syringes, there are two styles, and you need to purchase separately, the correct style needle. Syringes are great for accurately measuing out your sanitiser if using iodine or phosphoric acid.

Alcohol, 70% ethanol and 30% water is the ideal ratio for sanitising

A few other items I have bought:
100ml erlenmeyers, these fit straight in the pressure cooker with 50ml of wort, covered with alfoil, ideal for the very first step from the petri dish

1 litre erlenmeyers, can cook straight on the stove top, they also have larger sized, but as the volume increases, so does the price

squeeze wash bottles, those bottles you chased each other round the lab having water fights

sterile plastic petri dishes, about $2-3 per 20

test tube brushes, great for cleaning bores of airlocks and bungs

various sized beakers
measuring cylinders

Is there a good supply place in Brizzy that anyone knows of - would rather go in & buy off the shelf a few items...

there is a place in brendale Ross, but its not off the shelf, and it seems they only sell in bulk, i have tried to get some stuff of them and they are jsut a pain in the a$$

livingstone have been good to us brewers

ozbrewer said:
there is a place in brendale Ross, but its not off the shelf, and it seems they only sell in bulk, i have tried to get some stuff of them and they are jsut a pain in the a$$

livingstone have been good to us brewers
[post="76642"][/post]​

Do you no Esco in Kedron? They distribute for www.serrata.com.au

I have done a bulk buy through livingstone before with no trouble. But yes they are mail order only. There stuff is online, plus I have their hardcover catelogue.

The Syringes I am looking at have a needle and are disposable, but they are only 3ml (maybe I should look at something with a greater capacity) but if I am thinking of sucking yeast from smack packs, I could suck up some sterile water, stick the smack pack, lightly flame the needle cap and put in the fridge for storage, or just use it to stick the smack packs.

TO ADD TO THE ORDER:

Test Tube Brush
TTB22x100 18 x 100mm $1.87

TO THINK ABOUT FURTHER?
Something for dosing/measuring
Not sure if I should get some large capacity disposable Syringes (no needle) for filling test tubes etc, or some reusable soda glass ones. Or should I bite the bullet and get a pipette pump and some pipettes.

Thermometers
They do have a -10 to 50*C red spirit thermometer that has 0.5*C resolution, for $4.40 Maybe the accuracy of those would be better?

Large Capacity flasks
I have a 1L and 2L flask, but I must question unless your putting them on a stirrer I dont see the benefit over a reagent bottle except for a price saving, which I think is false economy as the reagent bottles are a lot thicker and more durable, (plus you get a led you can autoclave). Although for the 2 L size I think a flask is going to be way cheaper.
Prices for Reagent bottles with Screw Cap and Pouring ring
DB100S 1000ml $8.96 (I had one of these but dropped it!) however did not fit into my pressure cooker
DB200S 2000ml $18.26 (yep they surely do jump in price for large capacity bottles)

THINGS FOR EVERYBODY ELSE
Flask erlenmeyer
417119940 1000ml $10.45
417119950 2000ml $13.31

I HAVE THIS UP IN THE BULK BUY FORUM SO IF A MODERATOR COULD CLOSE THIS THREAD.

Done.

Beers,
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back