English Styles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey brau do you think the same grist would work for other english hops as all addittions? eg. EKG, Fuggles,ect.

what where your hopping rates for the later additions about .5g/L ?

cheers
-Phill

Can't see why not.
I've done it with fuggle(yum) , Challenger(purty good),Goldings<(not my cup of tea).
hopping rates of 1 gm per litre for flava,aroma for a good blast of hops,1/2 a gram p/l would be fine methinks.
Iv'e got a feeling that Voosher uses a similar grist when trialing a new hop,and he a brit ale tragic.

Cheers Brau, might have to make up a couple of small batches to try out different hop types, all in the name of beer science

-Phill

The crazy thing is many british people don't seem to realise that anymore. Theres this stigma around cask ale that it's "strong stuff" and "served warm", even by people who see it in the pub every day. I guess it just comes down to the fact that the majority of beer drunk there is tasteless icy cold eurolagers now. The view is a lot more prominant in major cities though.
I think it's true all over the world though. There's this weird kind of black magic around alcohol, whenever anyone tells of an unusual drink they had somewhere in the world, or of a friend who home brews, it is always 'rocket fuel' and somehow more potent than any other drink known to man. Certainly I think people tend to assume that dark beers must be 'thick and strong'. I've given up trying to tell people that 'actually, Guinness isn't particularly thick OR strong'. I just nod in tired apathy now.

It's also a shame that Aussies tend to have such a narrow view of alcohol content, and that 'mid-strength' can only be some kind of ill-fated attempt to come to a new-fangled compromise - when for certain styles of beer, 3.5% has been the ideal alcohol content for centuries. Most breweries here (even the good ones) tend to stick to a pretty constant 5% for all styles, regardless of how authentic that may be.

Can't see why not.
I've done it with fuggle(yum) , Challenger(purty good),Goldings<(not my cup of tea).
hopping rates of 1 gm per litre for flava,aroma for a good blast of hops,1/2 a gram p/l would be fine methinks.
Iv'e got a feeling that Voosher uses a similar grist when trialing a new hop,and he a brit ale tragic.

Sorry. Just spotted this post.
Brau knows me too well sometimes.
Simple grists to see what different hops or yeasts do for a beer.
Depending on the hop, the yeast, the gravity and caprice it's generally either 99% Maris Otter and 1% Choc or all Maris Otter.
Standard hop schedule is generally equal quantities at 60m & 30m to an appropriate bitterness and 1g/l at 10m and flame out.
Works for me.

Can't see why not.
Brauluver - a quick query re: the above hopping schedule - is that per lt boil volume or per lt final volume...the difference in volume is probably naff all that late in the boil but I have been trying to improve my english brews.
cheers

Marmalade Ale

I tried an ESB that tasted like bitter orange marmalade

wondering if this dry pale ale style could work:

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % When
UK Pale Ale Malt 8.50 kg 90.4 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Flaked Corn/Maize 0.50 kg 5.3 % In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - Invert Sugar (Golden) Syrup 0.40 kg 4.3 % Start Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
UK First Gold 8.0 49 g Pelletized Hops 60 Min From End
US Willamette 4.5 10 g Pelletized Hops 30 Min From End
US Willamette 4.5 10 g Pelletized Hops 15 Min From End
US Willamette 4.5 10 g Pelletized Hops At turn off

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When

Yeast
Wyeast 1968-London ESB Ale

Marmalade Ale

Tangent

I get these notes when I use a lot of Styrian Goldings late. Might be worth a thought. In fact I plan to make a bitter in a few weeks that will be all NZ Styrian Golding flowers and late hopped with Styrian Goldings plugs.

Hopefully the "marmalade" will run free. :beerbang:

Warren -

I've made a belgian red beer with real bitter oranges. This mighn't seem on topic but when one of the guys at a case swap tasted my english bitter done with progress for bittering and first gold for flavour he assumed it was another one of my fruit beers....

I'd consider using some of the willimatte for bittering and save some of the first gold for flavour to get more of that taste. That's possibly because I like the hop so much though...

Marmalade Ale

My top Marmalade hops are:
Styrian Goldings
Challenger
Target
Willamette

I'm with Warren on this one - Styrians give a gentle but distinctive marmalade tone and the current harvest are awesome.
I have to do an all Styrian/simple malt ale
:chug:

Maybe vanilla marmalade from SG, but definitely marmalade from challenger.

Gotta say I am seriously disappointed at the poor hopping at some of the recipes.

English brewers have hop backs and whirlpools for a reason. whence you boil the crap out of a beer you pump to a whirlpool/hopback and add the flavour/aroma hops ans whizz it round lots.

Any hops added prior is simply the way you would hop a lager. As my MASTER Bass brewer has thought me, Late Hops mean LATE - they are not boiled!

Boil, shut your heat off and grab a big spoon dunk int hops and stir, its the only way to get proper flavour profiles as my experience shows!

Are there any Stones Bitter fans out there??? I have a grist book from Bass that speaks volumes... ;-p

Scotty

I'm going to back up Scotty on this one. The IPA I'm drinking now (although not a bitter, sure) had 2 hop additions only. One at 60 mins to bitter (quite assertively) and another, large addition of EKG after flame-out in the whirlpool. There is so much hop flavour and aroma I can taste it a good 5 mins after finishing a pint. This beer really opened my eyes to whirlpool hopping!

Whatever you do, don't do this in your comp brews!! ;)

Whatever you do, don't do this in your comp brews!! ;)

It's exactly how i do my english bitters - in the kettle, 10 mins after flame out.
Why not in the comp brews PostModern? Or is that why my bitters have never done well in comps ;)

cheers Ross

Brauluver - a quick query re: the above hopping schedule - is that per lt boil volume or per lt final volume...the difference in volume is probably naff all that late in the boil but I have been trying to improve my english brews.
cheers

Final Volume(ie volume into fermenter)

English brewers have hop backs and whirlpools for a reason. whence you boil the crap out of a beer you pump to a whirlpool/hopback and add the flavour/aroma hops ans whizz it round lots.

Hear ya Scotty! :beerbang:

Hopback be thy friend. For me the aroma is good OTOH the hop flavour is out of this world. B)

Warren -

I didn't consider flame-out hopping and keg hopping to be boiling.
Thanks for the tip on Challenger.

FFS why didn't someone tell me about Challenger before!?
Awesome!
3x 1st times today.
1st Challenger experience :super: :)
1st Golden Promise (man that's so light in colour!)
1st time I've had a few beers with Dr.Gonzo and not crashed and burned :lol:

Back