Electric Power For Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If interested Helios prices, these are the screw in elements, and some bolt on style ones. at least the prices are getting better

Ben,
Price for heaters as requested
http://www.helios.com.au/Elements%20Indust...y_sel_main.html

Screw in (Alloy 800 element) 280mm length 120 kW/m^2

RHM24 1"bsp $55.00
SM24 1.25"bsp $78.00
SXM24 2"bsp $80.00

Bolt on -temp 0 to 100 degc

LBY24 $54.00 - Alloy 825 (330mm length - lower watt/area)
RDM24 $45.00 - Alloy 800 (265mm length)
Prices do not include GST

Is 0-100deg hot enough? or should one go for the screw in style?(0-250deg)
otherwise the bolt on Alloy 825 with its 330mm length giving low watts/area and resistance to corosion with the better alloy would be a good option

Great stuff Ben, one would think 100deg would be enough but given the wort has disolved sugars in it the boiling point will be slightl above 100degC but you would hope that it would still achieve a boil. May be worth putting the question to these guys themselves.

I just emailed them for a price on the RM24 and the HC2 temperature controller. I have a gas fired boiler but I want to make a new HLT from a keg so I shouldn't need the flash alloy elements. I can post the price of the controller if anyone is interested.

Ben said:
is there any pics of these SG3 Immersion heaters, i have tried google and stokes and the MMEM website but no luck!

I just want to see the element size and then try to see the watt/area ratio
Hi Ben

I haven't got a photo and I don't have a digital camera handy. I can get a photo for you later in the week.

Cheers
Pedro

Inspired by this thread, we dashed up onto the roof and ripped the 3600W element out of an old solar heater that has been sitting decommissioned for 15 years when it proved too expensive to run.
I fitted it to the HLT and did a test run with 25 litres of water and was at 72C in 25 min. which is better than a two ring burner but slower than the three ring.
However, there is a trap for young players. I had to fit the element 50mm. above the curved tank bottom and when checking temps in various spots I found that generally the water was at the 72C everywhere above the element, but the seven litres below was at 32C. So, If you do this exercise and are drawing your water from the bottom of your tank, make sure you give it a good stir or your strike temp calcs could be rather puzzling.

Just for this reason I have a windscreen wiper motor powering a stirrer on my HLT

interesting i would have thought the heating would have created a lot of movment in the liquid as the heat rises sucking the cold liquid onto the element

there goes that theory. Wonder if the boil is similar

even better get a nasa burner mash water heated up in 15 minutes

Sorry to bring this tread up again fella's but I went and got one of those 2400w immerson elements from Tobins on Friday :D . Tested it in a 30ltr fermenter and it works well but as Tony pointed out the temp below the element in deffinately a lot cooler, so you'll need to stir up the liquid in your hlt and throughout the boil. I was thinking about mounting the element on an old mixer I have and make the element itself do the stiring, just an idea...

no issues with the wort burning onto it? my kettle one is coated in crap, very hard to clean.

also will it boil your boiler? (eg wort)

Yet to be tested Ben. I'll let you know how I get on after this weekends experimental brew.

I figure i'll have to soak the element in something fairly costic to clean it after use. How does everyone else clean their elements?

Back