Electric Power For Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just about to say that ausdb, most electricians will either give you HWS elements or sell them for $5ish each. Just remember not to go above 2400W unless you have the ability to wire that much power. Also the tip/dump sight has stacks of HWS. Some of these places will let you go and scrounge a few. Take a socket set and screwdrivers ;)

Cheers, Justin

ok, so if i'm reading this right (feeling very slow today)

1) i can use the elements out of a kettle but on two different circuits to prevent my house burning down and put them into my boil kettle and turn one off once the thing is boiling away

or

2) i can visit my friendly hot water person and get one (or 2) of a hot water element (2400w) and put that into my boil kettle.

my main concern is how do i get them wired? do i need a sparky or can i zap my self whilst doing it? or do they come pre wired and ready to plug in?

thanks for humoring me :)

bonk said:
my main concern is how do i get them wired? do i need a sparky or can i zap my self whilst doing it? or do they come pre wired and ready to plug in?
If you have to ask this question, then you already have your answer. Get an electrician if you don't even know what the first step is, becuase the old saying "it's better to be safe then sorry" doesn't apply to electricity. With electricity "it's better to be safe than dead!".

Cheers
MAH

chiller said:
However I would say the boiling wort is probably more concern than how you get it to boiling as far as safety is concerned.
Spot on Chiller. A stable brew stand is more important than gas or electricity, because 20ltr-30ltr of boiling wort is serioulsy dangerous.

And in terms of burns, electricity could be more dangerous. I've seen Chillers NASA burners in action and when they're lit, you can see and hear that a big pot of wort is being heated. With electricity it silently bubbles away and apart from the steam you wouldn't know that something was happening. This makes it pretty easy to accidently burn yourself on the outside of the pot etc due to lack of visual and audible cues.

Keep the kids away from brewing no matter if it's electricity or gas.

Cheers
MAH

MAH,

thats what i was thinking, might have to have a chat with my local friendly sparky or stick with my burning stick of boiling ;)

reply from Helios:

Part No. SM24 is for heating clean water. Part No. TS20 may be more suitable
except that the screwed fitting is brass. To manufacture a TS20 with
stainless steel plug would cost approx. $200.00 plus GST and 2 weeks
delivery.

ahhhhhh yeah $200 i dont think so

from thermal products :

The only thing I can rccommend that is easy is a portable immersion unit.
Here is the part number and prices listed below

Part Number = SG3
Your Cost = $86.00 + G.S.T. (This price does not include freight charges)

Scewed fitting on mine is brass too Ben

Ben said:
Part Number = SG3
Your Cost = $86.00 + G.S.T. (This price does not include freight charges)
HI

Bought one of these this week for $84 inc GST from MMEM

Cheers
Pedro

Hey there batz....your HLT looks great but one important thing you seem to be missing from your setup is an earth connection, or I just cant see it? Does the element you are using have an earth stud on it? If not, perhaps you could weld a threaded stud onto the keg and connect your earth to that? It is vital that you have an earth on this sort of equipment, particulary if your power circuit isnt on an elcb. Also to anyone doing the same thing I would go to a 3600W element and install a 15A power point where you intend to use it. These power points are higher rated than the normal 10A ones and have a larger earth pin. You should be ok with the standard 16A circuit breaker on your power circuit but if you have trouble with it tripping (these elements use 15A) you can upgrade to a 20A breaker. You will need to make sure your extension lead has 2.5mm cables and a 15A male plug. Cheers

OMG ! :rolleyes:

Yes I have been called batty many times , but to wire up an electric element on a stainless container , fill it with water , without an earth?
No I am not stupid , it is earthed , it was wired by a registered sparkie , it draws ( being 2400w , we put a meter on it , 8.2 AMPS)

Having said that it is wired 15 AMPS , with the correct plug and I have a 15 AMP socket fitted for it :angry: :angry:

Batz :ph34r:

Batz said:
No I am not stupid
Well perhaps I am

Re-reading this perhaps my reply was a little harsh brettinoz

What I meant to say was:

Yes it is earthed and thankyou for your concern :)

Batz :p

I know you arent stupid...just going on what I could see. Can be an oversight for people putting something like this together thats all.

Pedro, who is MMEM and what is this SG3?? does it hand over the side of the boiler or somthing?

I might get some prices on cheap water heating elements, the longer style to limit the watts/area (if not i will use the kettle style, i just rather not have such high power/area)

Ben my is 1.25" BSP

I bought the bush and machined the thread off , and also machined it a little shorter

The bolt in would work out cheaper I suppose , you would neen some thick rubber gasket to take up the curve of your keg. I came get you that if you go that way.

Ben said:
who is MMEM and what is this SG3?? does it hand over the side of the boiler or somthing?
Hi

Quick reply as I am on the way out
www.mmem.com.au supply electrical goods
The SG3 is an over the side 2400W immersion heater manufactured by Stokes.

Cheers
Pedro

pedro or others , is there any pics of these SG3 Immersion heaters, i have tried google and stokes and the MMEM website but no luck!

I just want to see the element size and then try to see the watt/area ratio

Latest posts

Back