Ebay Keg setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damo007

Reaction score
Hi All, sorry if this gets asked all the time, I've been out of the home brew gig for awhile but really want to get back into it. I've been looking around at keg set ups and found this on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Home-Brew-Keg-Set-Tap-Twin-Kegs-Draught-System-kegging-equipment-/290942565839?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item43bd873dcf

you can also get one with a pluto gun, not sure which to go for at this stage.

Is this a good set up? or should I been looking else where, and what should I be looking for?

Cheers

Damo

bit exxey but if you cant be arsed getting all the bits and bobs separately, and of course, it's covered by a warranty, it aint too bad if you have the spare folding

Can pick up Kegs ~$50-60
Regulator ~$80
Disconnects ~$10
Line ~$10-20

bits and bobs probably all up ~$200

of course you still need Gas with it too...

Cheers

Also that tap is FAR from commercial quality
they corrode pretty quickly and leave nasty floaties in your beer

Damo007 said:
..."

Hi All, sorry if this gets asked all the time, I've been out of the home brew gig for awhile but really want to get back into it. I've been looking around at keg set ups and found this on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Home-Brew-Keg-Set-Tap-Twin-Kegs-Draught-System-kegging-equipment-/290942565839?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item43bd873dcf
Before buying, I'd confirm with the vendor whether or not you're getting new or old kegs.

Very ambiguous ad this.

The title of the offer reads "New Home Brew Keg Set & Tap..."

The product description then says "2 x Used 19L Stainless Steel Kegs",

followed by "This is a very special keg set as it features two new kegs".

So are they new kegs or old kegs?

If you are after used 19L corny ball lock kegs craftbrewer has the cheapest at 60$ ea for 2 or more (unless you live next to a decent lhbs).
Their line good to.

For a micromatic Reg and ball lock disconnects try mybeershop.com.au

Edit to add:
Or if you dont mind pinlock kegs go for the keg package at mybeershop.com.au fir $290.
(im not related to either seller)

Alrighty, thanks for your replies. I shall have a read on the pin v ball lock kegs and continue looking.

Damo

Pin lock vs ball there isnt any real difference except the keg size.
Basicly i you can fit them in your fridge and you are happy for your disconnects to be pin lock they are perfect.

Ball lock (pepsi)
-Tall and thin
-You can mix up the posts
-They come with a pull ring safety valve.
-They are popular because you can fit more in a fridge (pending your individual fridge size)

Pin lock (coke)
-Shorter and fatter
-You cant mix up the posts.
-You can change the posts to ball lock on some kegs.
-The over pressure valve isnt pull ring, ie you have to press down on the gas post to vent the keg. This is eaisly fixed by getting a new lid.

I've been looking at mybeershop and it seems the pin locks are more readily available, so i'm thinking I'll just go with one of their setups.

cheers

Damo

maxim0200 said:
Ball lock (pepsi)

-You can mix up the posts
Is this for the second hand pepsi corneilius only? I have two new keg king kegs and I broke a liquid QD by putting it onto the gas post when I first got them and thought that was also the reason they have a slit in the hex nut part of the post for the gas so that you can distinguish the difference. The poppets inside also seem to be a difference size to me also?

From my basic amature reaserch (so take it with a grain of salt;)) yes pin locks are way more avaiable mainly because most people (myself included) buy pepsi ball lock kegs.
The coke kegs are verry cheap by comparison with no real difference except the dimentions, a bargin if your happy with the dimentions.

For impartially, homebrewingisfun also has pinlock kegs (ebay number 121194132692).
Also Kegking also has them Neither have the package with micromatic regulator.

Is this for the second hand pepsi corneilius only? I have two new keg king kegs and I broke a liquid QD by putting it onto the gas post when I first got them and thought that was also the reason they have a slit in the hex nut part of the post for the gas so that you can distinguish the difference. The poppets inside also seem to be a difference size to me also?

I dont know sorry but the gas has a smaller flange on the post than the liquid (and as you said the mark around the hex nut).
Im 99.99% shure the poppits are fully interchangeable, if they arnt then i have 5 kegs one full of beer that are screwed... Lol

Out of interst what brand (if any) was the QD?

maxim0200 said:
I dont know sorry but the gas has a smaller flange on the post than the liquid (and as you said the mark around the hex nut).
Im 99.99% shure the poppits are fully interchangeable, if they arnt then i have 5 kegs one full of beer that are screwed... Lol

Out of interst what brand (if any) was the QD?
Keg King... but from what I hear that's half all the problem. At the moment I don't have leaks or problems, but next time I do think I'll bite the bullet and get John Guest fittings all round.

Im not shure JG make a ball lock disconnect do they?
Ditch the chinese made ones and possibly try the brand name corny american made ones, they have the round top (about $30/pair) or the german made cmb ones (about 20$/pair)

Latest posts

Back