Ebay - Handyimports Stockpots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is where the 2 parts are welded and where my pot leaked
View attachment 43874

Can you confirm if your pot had the 4mm extra base or if yours did not have the 4mm stainless rim at the bottom?
I ordered two of these and received one with the 4mm base (as per the advert) which was made quite well and had no visible welds.
The other pot did not have a 4mm lip at the bottom and that had some very clearly visible welds and it was 1cm taller and a few mm thinner than the other pot.
As I needed identically sized pots and didn't like the look of the rather sloppy weld I returned one of them and I am awaiting a new pot with a 4mm lip at the bottom.
It looks like they have 2 different quality grades and the one with the lip they advertise on Ebay is definately the better one (from my experience).
I have attached the pictures I took from the different pots. Pot A is definately showing weld marks and the manufacturing is quite rough.
Post B is very smooth and shows no sign of a weld so hopefully it will last.
I am keen to establish where to get more Robinox pots for $350. I have one already and they are definately better quality than the HandyImports Pot B model....

Thanks

Roland

Attachments

• Pot_B___Pot_as_per_the_one_I_ordered.JPG
    Pot_B___Pot_as_per_the_one_I_ordered.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Pot_A___Sloppy_finish.JPG
    Pot_A___Sloppy_finish.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Pot_A___No_sandwich_base_at_bottom.JPG
    Pot_A___No_sandwich_base_at_bottom.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Pot_A___Visible_Weld.JPG
    Pot_A___Visible_Weld.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 19
A couple of other things that I experienced...

The replies from Tony were a lot quicker when I was interested in buying something.
I sent him a few emails to ask why there were two different pots delivered, and one clearly being not as well manfactured and I received no answer. When I started using Ebay to complain about item not being as described I got an answer.

He initially told me that the warranty offered via the Ebay advert means that the , until I highlighted that they sent me an incorrect item which isn't really a warranty claim. I suspect if you push the fact that the item was not usable for the purpose it was intended for, you are unlikely to have to pay for both legs of the postage.

I still haven't heard from him in relation to replacing mine which was picked up by his courier on Wednesday so I will be chasing it up on Monday.

Can you confirm if your pot had the 4mm extra base or if yours did not have the 4mm stainless rim at the bottom?
I ordered two of these and received one with the 4mm base (as per the advert) which was made quite well and had no visible welds.
The other pot did not have a 4mm lip at the bottom and that had some very clearly visible welds and it was 1cm taller and a few mm thinner than the other pot.
As I needed identically sized pots and didn't like the look of the rather sloppy weld I returned one of them and I am awaiting a new pot with a 4mm lip at the bottom.
It looks like they have 2 different quality grades and the one with the lip they advertise on Ebay is definately the better one (from my experience).
I have attached the pictures I took from the different pots. Pot A is definately showing weld marks and the manufacturing is quite rough.
Post B is very smooth and shows no sign of a weld so hopefully it will last.
I am keen to establish where to get more Robinox pots for $350. I have one already and they are definately better quality than the HandyImports Pot B model....

Thanks

Roland

the problem pot had the 4mm sandwiched base

and as for customer service, i just rocked up to the warehouse with the pot and discussed the story face to face,

they were very fair

they list a phone number and address on their listings if you get any grief

mine might have been an isolated problem, but then again it might not be, jyo had some rust as well

best to see if anyone has been using for a while to see if my problem is isolated

as for $350 robinox, best to negotiate face to face with someone who sells them, i bought 3 so that helped

check your pot where i have marked, these little divets on mine were rusted/starting to rust

this is where it was leaking from

weld2.JPG

Mine didn't have any spots of rust when I got it, however it is not to say that they didn't clean them up as part of a QA to ensure less returns of their pots.
I filled it with water all the way to the top and there are no beads or signs of it leaking which is a great relief.
Did your leak at all with cold water or did you have to stretch the metal a bit first with a burner before it leaked?

What a PITA - I might see if I can get a refund instead of getting another pot sent to me.
Rocking up is something I would do if they were in the same state.

While I had a pot in the past which leaked from the handles, I wouldn't have thought that they could be so incompetent that they couldn't weld the base to the sides but it looks like I need to lower my expectations.

I was originally going to get two pots fabricated down here and it was about $500 per pot for 140-160 liters with 2mm thick bases and 1.6mm thick sides. Since I want to use electric, that would have been a better option as it included the holes for my heating elements as well as the fittings for my valves and sight glass.

i bought a 98 litre one , with the intention of buying 3 for my new brew build

i noticed a ring of rust all around the inside about 20mm from the base

i thought ... stainless steel should not rust ...

i then proceeded to test if my rambo burner would boil 80 litres

anyway, after 30 mins i noticed some water bead outside the pot ..... go figure ... bloody thing leaked !!!!

crappy welding and treatment of the weld that my untrained eye didnt notice at first

the vendor was very fair and offered a replacement, i opted for a refund instead as i was unsure whether they would all be like that, and obviously if i drilled a hole the vendor would not accept it back if the next one was faulty as well

i ended up getting 3 robinox 98 ltr for $350 each

i was happy to pay $350 instead of $289 for a pot that didnt leak

Where did you get your robinox pots?

Did your leak at all with cold water or did you have to stretch the metal a bit first with a burner before it leaked?

i only noticed the leak after sitting on the burner for half an hour, i dont know it leaked with cold water

by the way, after an hour on full bore the rambo couldnt quite boil 80 litres, i gave up after an hour

What a PITA - I might see if I can get a refund instead of getting another pot sent to me.
While I had a pot in the past which leaked from the handles, I wouldn't have thought that they could be so incompetent that they couldn't weld the base to the sides but it looks like I need to lower my expectations.

I was originally going to get two pots fabricated down here and it was about $500 per pot for 140-160 liters with 2mm thick bases and 1.6mm thick sides. Since I want to use electric, that would have been a better option as it included the holes for my heating elements as well as the fittings for my valves and sight glass.

might not be necessary, test it before drilling etc, see if anyone has put some mileage on these and see how they stood up

sounds like a decent price considering the size & fittings

Hi all, I'm new here. happened to stumble across this thread searching for information on that handyimports ebay seller. After reading the thread I thought I'd shop around for a Roband 50 L pot and found a place that sells them for $150 ?!

http://www.abes.net.au/Catalogues/Roband-Products.html

anyone dealt with this supplier? I thought maybe the Roband 'Forje' pots might be a different product to Robinox considering the drastic price difference.

Cheers.

I bought two 70L Robinox Forje by Roband pots for around $300 each and asked a mate to weld fittings on them, he did a superb job and they are robust, awesome and well worth the cash. One is a mash tun and one is a kettle. Beautiful, quality stuff.

Later on I decided I needed a HLT and someone pointed out the Handyimports and as they were a fair bit cheaper I decided to give it a punt. Asked my mate to weld some more bits on it but this time the welded points rusted quite a bit. Plus there are areas that weren't welded around the inside that are rusting and the pot itself is thinner and just feels a fair bit cheaper.

Bottom line, I would have prefered to fork out the little extra and got a Robinox/Roband/Forje.

Hi all, I'm new here. happened to stumble across this thread searching for information on that handyimports ebay seller. After reading the thread I thought I'd shop around for a Roband 50 L pot and found a place that sells them for $150 ?!

http://www.abes.net.au/Catalogues/Roband-Products.html

anyone dealt with this supplier? I thought maybe the Roband 'Forje' pots might be a different product to Robinox considering the drastic price difference.

Cheers.

That looks awesome! The pots I bought were 70L but they were pretty much double that price...

Actually - I'd be curious that they were actually that price - check this out:

Forje SS pots

I've not heard back from bakery equip yet, however I found out an interesting nugget of information.

Handyimports ad states that the pots are induction ready, yet induction requires magnetic metals. Their pots are actually 18/10, or AISI 304 stainless (10% nickel makes it non-magnetic somehow) on both sides of the sandwich alu base... it is not magnetic and won't work on induction cookers.

Robinox pots are 430 stainless on the outside layer, no nickel in 430 so it's magnetic, plus the actual body of the pot appears to be a single spun disc, like this:

no idea why the ebay seller ones were welded together..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe you have to laugh, all my enquiry did was alert them to fix up their prices on the website, which is now gone from the cheapest supplier to the most expensive.

Hehe you have to laugh, all my enquiry did was alert them to fix up their prices on the website, which is now gone from the cheapest supplier to the most expensive.

Wow! Gone from $150 to $385 for a 50L pot!

You local hospitality supplier (assuming you have one) will be able to get them in for you for a fair bit less.

Check out these guys - It might even be cheaper if you visit them and offer to buy 3 at a time.
You could almost get a 98l Robinox for the price the other mob wants.

http://www.allquip.com.au/home/index.cfm?f...amp;startrow=11

If anyone knows of an online mob that does a better price, I would be keen to find out as I might be in the market for two of them.

check out haryy1609 on ebay; note his shop name B)
I got a Alu pot from him which worked out almost 3/4 of the Allquip price

QldKev

check out haryy1609 on ebay; note his shop name B)
I got a Alu pot from him which worked out almost 3/4 of the Allquip price

QldKev
Couldn't find him on there. Did he have stainless ptos or only aluminium?

Rebirthing an old topic.

Looking at getting one of these in the next few weeks. How is everyones holding up a year on?

Mine is still going strong, no rust, no leaks. I've done plenty of brews in it and I'm very happy with it.

cheers

nifty

Latest posts

Back