dry malt versus liquid malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintlee

Reaction score
kind of a newbie question. Is there any distinct advantages using liquid malt over dry malt or visa versa? Or can they be interchanged at certain ratios?

Hey clintlee,
I use both.
I find it easier to tweak a recipe with small amounts, like 500g, of malt when its dry, for larger amounts I usually use liquid.
I have read that the LME can sometimes go bad, maybe give some off flavours, but I have never experienced this…..hope I never do ! (always check use by dates on tins). There is also good variety with liquid malt.
DME stores well, is easy to use.

Its ultimately up to you anyway, try both and find out what works for you.

Have fun with it mate !

UB

Dry malt is usually noticeably cheaper. A kilo of dry malt is roughly equal to 1.5 kilo of liquid.

Much like Unclebarrel, I use liquid for the larger amounts in a recipe (like the base for an extract recipe or the basic fermentable in a Kit brew) and keep my dry malt for smaller amounts. Mainly because it's much easier to store containers dry malt once opened than liquid malt as liquid malt can pick up an infection with far greater ease once opened than dry malt.

Depends on the malt extract but in terms of gravity (sugars added to the brew) 1 kg dry is approximately equal to 1.25 kg of liquid. Or the other way around, 1 kg of liquid is approximately equal to 0.8 kg dry.

When I did extract used Dry Malt as I found it much easier to handle and store. Used to buy 20kg bags now about $125 then store it in 20 1kg bags vacuum seal or zip seal.

After using both Im definitly a dry malt fan. I take a sterilised 20l bucket with lid to the brew shop and get them to put in whatever quantity I nexd for brew day. No storage no waste and fresh malt each time and cheaper/Kg than buying 1 Kg packs. I brew 4 batches at a time so its a reasonable saving. I have also found if you have good plastic containers (one for each brew up) dry malt keeps well so two brew days can be put in to save a trip. Flour buckets from local bakers are good or your brew shop probably has them.

Cheers

I bought a 20kg bag with a mate, worked out to $7.35 per kg including freight as apposed to $11.95 from the lhbs. 10KG each should last a few brews

Latest posts

Back