Gladfield vs Weyermann German Pilsner malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whistledown

Reaction score
I buy my grain by the sack and have noticed a sharp increase in the European products over the last year or so. I have always used German malts for my lagers/pilsners and English malts for my ales. How do the Gladfield malts compare with these. Any other suggestions welcomed.

I use Gladfields over the Wey stuff and have for a few years now. It’s great, I love it.

Sorry don’t have anything more scientific than that.

have you done a comparison or just chosen gladfield based on price
No side by side but have brewed a batch with wey then charged to Gladfields for same beer after that and was just as happy with the result. I didn’t choose based on price more so the closer location of Gladfields meaning it is going to always be fresher here in Aus. Price is a secondary benefit.

I use Voyager or Gladfield for most of my brewing, however I still tend to grab a bag of Marris Otter for English beers and wheat by the dack I go for whatever is cheapest

I've done comparisons back to back with a few brands and my palate wasn't good enough to be able to tell the difference

I have found the Voyager malt has slightly more protein

Main thing I go for is malt that provides consistency, Malteurope and Joe white while they both have done good brews I found more variables between bags then I like.

Coopers is another malt that if you have cost effective access too wouldn't be a bad option

My favourite is the Weyermann Floor Malted Bo Pils
One of the things I like about Weyermann in general is its consistency. I have copies of old COA's (certificates of analysis) that go back well over 10 years; they vary by fractions of a percent.
But have never tasted malt as good as the FMBP.
Mark

Agree with MHB. I love WFMB. My most recent batch using this is a Hefeweizen, and it's the best one I've made since I started brewing 16 years ago.
I can't compare it to the other malts, as I haven't used them.

Latest posts

Back