Dry Hopping Basil?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have thought about this idea a few times.
Absolutely love basil, but wouldn't be too sure what style of beer it would best compliment.
Though if you were to boil it you might get that 'sweaty' aroma that a few Thai dishes seem to have...not sure if thats a good thing or not.

Though if you were to boil it you might get that 'sweaty' aroma that a few Thai dishes seem to have...not sure if thats a good thing or not.

Thai basil is a different kind and has a really different aroma, not to mention the plants looking vastly different (I grow both kinds and a few other specialty ones for cooking). I wouldn't put Thai basil near a brew - it's far too pungent/acrid and far too many aromatics - better to put it with some chilli when you stir fry some chook. :D

I wouldn't boil common basil. The dry hopping idea with the blanched leaves I'm guessing would give the more interesting flavour and not cook off the aromatics.

Cheers - Fermented.

The latest Zymurgy has an article that includes using herbs in a brew, and they recommend Thai Basil in their Raspberry Basil Oak aged Porter. Apparently the best way to go about it is to macerate the basil in some neutral spirits, like vodka, and add them to secondary. I am sure that regular basil will also work well.
Hope that helps
Trent

I would love to get a look at that article. Sounds interesting.

Is the maceration warm/hot or room temperature? The heat would drive off some of the volatiles which give the acrid, alkaline notes I would guess.

Cheers - Fermented.

Well here's the result of 15g of basil at flame out, other than that it has hallertau, golden promise and wheat and German ale yeast.

It has a nice basil aroma on the nose, with a nice refreashing finish, good for the summer.

CRIM0560.JPG

A recent Brewrin Network show had a guy making a Triple with a hit of thai basil and rice insead of candy sugar

Latest posts

Back