Dry Hopping Basil?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Sinclair

Reaction score
Has anyone dry hopped basil? got the stuff in my garden, love the aroma but not sure if it would work in a receipe or what kind of receipe? Has anyone tried it?

Has anyone dry hopped basil? got the stuff in my garden, love the aroma but not sure if it would work in a receipe or what kind of receipe? Has anyone tried it?
I haven't tried it, but like the idea. I would think a stout would be the style to try it with, the aniseed flavour from the basil would compliment the roasted malts.
Open a couple of low hopped beers and jam a couple of leaves in then reseal. Leave for a week and taste, this way you are experimenting on individual bottles not a full batch. Keep us updated on your experiments.

That's a good idea might try that on some bottles i already have but they are a red ale might open them up stuff in some leavess and see/taste what happens.

Cheers.

adding Basil to your beer may make it go Fawlty.

Also Basil tends to be paranoiac misanthrope.

Pumpy :)

I have added fresh ingredients to a beer only once, in the form of flower petals. They started to rot fairly quickly, and would most likely spoil the beer. I would say from my experience it would be better to dry them before putting them in.

Give it a try in a few bottles though, and if it doesn't work try dried basil.

Im planning to do something similar in a pale type beer.

Going to use Basil and Honey.......... about 10%

Id say add it late in the boil........... say 5 or 10 min from the end and leave it behing like the hops.

No issues with rotting hops in the fermenter which will happen.

cheers

Edit: check this out

http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/07_45.html

Im planning to do something similar in a pale type beer.

Going to use Basil and Honey.......... about 10%

Id say add it late in the boil........... say 5 or 10 min from the end and leave it behing like the hops.

No issues with rotting hops in the fermenter which will happen.

cheers

Edit: check this out

http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/07_45.html

Thanks for the link Tony looks interesting.

How'd you think it would go in this receipe

3.4Kgs of Golden Promise
1.8 of Wheat
Craft brewer German Ale yeast.
Hallertau 30grams full boil and 10 grams at 15mins?

Dry Hopping Basil?

200_fawltytowers.jpg

Could any herbs be used? Corriander?

I've been tempted to drop a few shavings of ginger root in before...

I would be tempted to blanch the basil leaves for about five seconds in boiling water and then into iced water quickly to knock out any unwanted microbes, etc but not kill off too much of the aromatics. Crush lightly to make the oils, etc from the leaves more available to the brew.

Try taking some leaves or grass from the garden and leaving it in water for a week. What you will see under the microscope will possibly surprise you - a unicellular extravaganza and more, hence the blanching suggestion.

Lotsaluck!

Cheers - Fermented.

I would be tempted to blanch the basil leaves for about five seconds in boiling water and then into iced water quickly to knock out any unwanted microbes, etc but not kill off too much of the aromatics. Crush lightly to make the oils, etc from the leaves more available to the brew.

Try taking some leaves or grass from the garden and leaving it in water for a week. What you will see under the microscope will possibly surprise you - a unicellular extravaganza and more, hence the blanching suggestion.

Lotsaluck!

Cheers - Fermented.
Good points, pehaps i'll try it at the end of the boil, in the wheat beer receipe i listed above, but i really want to get that aroma coming through and make full use of the oils..

Latest posts

Back