Drinking my first saison...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're used to 3724 don't bother with belle saison IMHO. Nothing wrong with belle saison but 3724 has much more character IMHO

Just a pic of the first one I did. Tastes amazing, very happy with it. Had a theoretical OG of 1053 and has finished at 1002, so ~7.3% ABV by the time I carbonated with 12g/L dextrose (should be 3.3-3.4volCO2).

The recipe was:

66.3% Pilsner (Dingemann)
18.4% Munich II (Weyermann)
0.6% Carafa Sp 1 for colour
14.7% Adro's special clear candi syrup - SG without the sugar was 1041, added at 1.021 (after 20 points of fermentation)
1.053 original gravity (theoretical)

17.1IBU of Czech Saaz at 60min (actually a touch of Northern Brewer was in here to hit my target IBU)
10IBU Czech Saaz at 30min
3.7IBU Styrian Goldings at 15min
Theoretically 30-31IBU

Added 0.75g/L fresh orange peel (Navel orange) with 5min left in the boil.

I fermented with 3724. Had a healthy pitch at just under 19°C, then rose to 23°C gently over 2 days, then let rip in Gladstone's summer for the rest. The candi syrup was added with some krausen left, but it didn't re-kraus at all. Total fermentation time was 20 days.

The beer below:
saison-21.jpg

Smell is very Dupont, spicy, peppery but with some slight breadiness probably from the Munich II and very slight funkiness more noticeable when it warms. Taste is amazing... orange is actually hard to notice but it's bitter, peppery, lemony, spicy, slightly flowery (the candi syrup?) and is very dry and tart and then the funk comes in. Very very drinkable, goes down very easily.

I would call this a success...

I had a crack at a saison recently and overall have declared it a failure. I'm putting it down to it being too hot up here (the banana flavour in this beer was huge) and that the brew shop didn't have enough pilsner malt so I went half pilsner, half lager.

Looking forward to having another go when it's a bit cooler. I have no temp control at this point.

NickyJ said:
so I went half pilsner, half lager.
Umm what?
While I have seen pilsner malt I have not seen lager malt.
How is it different?

NickyJ said:
I had a crack at a saison recently and overall have declared it a failure. I'm putting it down to it being too hot up here (the banana flavour in this beer was huge) and that the brew shop didn't have enough pilsner malt so I went half pilsner, half lager.
Looking forward to having another go when it's a bit cooler. I have no temp control at this point.
Which yeast did you use?

Back