Brewing a saison for noobs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nosco said:
So I brewed Raison D' Saison from Brewing Classic Styles coz I have liked just about all of the recipes I have tried except I used Wyeast 3711 French Saison. I hind sight I should have went with a lower ABV and simpler recipe as was suggested to me but what evs. Its only been in the ferm for 5 days. Pitched at 20c and "ramped" to 24c over the 5 days. Maybe a bit too quick a ramp but its all experimental for my first saison. First time using my Better Bottle as well.

I use the Biabicus spread sheet coz thats what Im used to and the expected FG is 1.015. Og of 1.066. Its already at 1.012. It looks like its finished and starting to drop out. Ill leave it for the usual 10-12 days and then CC. I have heard of saison yeast staling and then firing up again. Should I expect the gravity to drop even lower? Definitely not a summer session beer :p

PS If I adjust the attenuation in the spread sheet to an average %80 then it gives me an FG of 1.012. So maybe it has finished I just have to let it clean up.

Edit : tastes great so far.

3711's a bit of a monster, I've used it a bunch of times its rarely finished above 1.004 no matter the starting gravity.

nosco said:
Just reading the Wyeast descriptions and its the Belgian 3724 that stalls at 1.035ish. Definitely gotta try that one next but sounds a bit fickle. I like the sound of "very tart and dry on the palate with a mild fruitiness."

Edit on taste description
I have a saison on tap at the moment that was fermented with the yeast bay saison blend and it is very tart and fruity so lift be worth a shot if you like that style.

Here Hare Here said:
3711's a bit of a monster, I've used it a bunch of times its rarely finished above 1.004 no matter the starting gravity.
I'm with HHH on this, I would doubt that 3711 is finished at 1.012, each time I've used it the FG is normally around 1.002.

The krausen has dropped and there doesnt seem to be any activity. Its still really cloudy and the airlock is still going slowly. So maybe its still got a ways to go. Ill take a reading on the weekend.

Long time since i used an airlock.

Yep i did the exact same, raison d'saison with 3711 except i left out the extra sugar, im glad i did because it went down to 1.002 which put it around 7%... not my favourite beer i must admit, just not sure about that tartness... which is a shame considering i paid $14 for the yeast which may not get reused....

Ive got some champagne bottles i was going to use for the blonde. Wondering if i shouldnt use em for the saison? Could i keg the saison to carbonate and then bottle? Being lazy plus i might not have the time to bottle straight out of the ferm.

Champagne bottles would be a good match... french yeast, french bottles! I also have found that despite being poured with high carbonation as per the style, it loses it very quickly in the glass.... not really sure what thats about.

It isn't something I've noticed. Any issues with other beers as it could be glassware related.

14426570686_236b74ec86_c.jpg

As predicted above my saison has dropped to 1.006. If it gets to 04 it will make it %8 which is ok.

Not as fruity tasting as the last sample but less sugars would acount for that i guess. Seems to have developed a bit of funk as well. Cant wait to get it carbed and see what its really like.

Ill leave it another 4 or 5 days and cc. Or at least as low as my little ferm fridge can cc.

The St Stefanus belgian blonde i got from Dans mail order special didnt have much head retention at all. I clean my glasses ocd style. I really liked it which is what got me wanting to do a bblonde. Others on this site didnt agree with me on the St Stefanus though :D

Latest posts

Back