Brewing a saison for noobs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like WY3711 with 85/15 - 90/10 pils and rye and then tropical fruit US hops late in the kettle.

Not to style but who cares? Certainly not me while I'm savoring every drop of it.

Does 3711 throw much krausen? Just wondering if it needs a blow off tube...

I brewed my saison last night, and made a last minute decision to leave out the 0 min hop addition and to add it dry instead, just because I no-chill. Was this a wise decision? or is dry hopping out of style? Obviously if it tastes good, then I won't be too bothered.. but just wondering if it will be to far out of style to be considered an actual saison?

Just checked BJCP guide lines...

" A saison is sometimes dry-hopped. Noble hops, Styrian or East Kent Goldings are commonly used. "

I used Perle...

Stillwater Artisanal Ales make some excellent farmhouse ales and saisons

Matplat said:
Just checked BJCP guide lines...

" A saison is sometimes dry-hopped. Noble hops, Styrian or East Kent Goldings are commonly used. "

I used Perle...
Perle should work fine, my saison is bittered with perle

dannymars said:
Stillwater Artisanal Ales make some excellent farmhouse ales and saisons
Whatever their saison in the yellow can is (I think I remember that it has a bloke with a moustache and maybe an eyepatch on it?), it is amazing. Got given it for xmas last year and it disappeared quickly

Just tasted my first gravity sample after 6 days, down to 1.006 from 1.054. Gotta say it did not taste great, a bit solventy and possibly some band aid in there too. Obviously there is a heap of conditioning to happen, but my FV samples usually taste better than that. Im just not sure if this is just a saison thing and these flavours will clear up?
3711 pitched at 20 then allowed to rise to 25, i made a 1.5l starter with a fresh smack pack and decanted off the starter before pitching into 20l of wort.

I just dumped a batch with those flavours. It was definitely infected as it was meant to be a pale ale!

Being a saison you would expect some funk but I wouldn't have thought you would get band-aid.

I only got the band-aid at the very bottom of the sample, which was the yeastiest bit, so manticles comment may come into play there...

I will be patient I guess, but I won't dry hop until i'm sure it isn't infected.

I had thick krausen within 8 hours so would be surprised if it was...

I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm still getting over my first infection and my therapist says that talking about it will help.

I ended up wasting about 60g in dry hops and now have a hop bag that I'm sus on.

Looking forward to hearing how good it turns out.

Well, after another 5 days in the FV, it cleaned itself up enough to warrant dry hopping. No band aid anymore, but still some smoothing required.... down to 1.003 will bottle in 2-3 days

Is Saison a style that is best drunk fresh? or will the alcohol content (7%) dictate a more lengthy conditioning period?

Matplat said:
Is Saison a style that is best drunk fresh? or will the alcohol content (7%) dictate a more lengthy conditioning period?
You need to adjust the recipe depending on how quickly you want to drink it as it can be made for a quick turnaround.
Saison, traditionally, was a longer conditioned style made during the quieter Autumn to Spring period on the farms for 'Saisonniers' - seasonal workers - during the summer and harvest.

Danscraftbeer said:
Were do you find that on the shelf? I've never seen it and whenever I've asked for Saison you get a blank confused look of (never heard of it :unsure: )
Well I found in in Noosa but I've not seen it lately, perhaps mail order?

Matplat said:
I like my Saisons aged, in fact the best I have ATM is around 20 months old.

My third effort at a saison has just fermented out to 1.006 at 23 degrees using Danstar Belle Saison. Added 15g of dried orange peel and 10g crushed coriander seeds with 10 mins to go in the boil but can't detect either flavour at all. The yeast totally dominates which isn't unpleasant just not what I was gunning for. Might do over with a different yeast, perhaps a liquid one. Suggestions?

Would you call this a Saison???

Not sure what I was aiming was for.

Grumpy Summer Galaxy

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 40.0
Total Grain (kg): 9.423
Total Hops (g): 70.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 16.0 (EBC): 31.5
Bitterness (IBU): 35.5 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 65
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
7.976 kg Pilsner (84.66%)
0.997 kg Wheat Malt (10.58%)
0.250 kg Roasted Barley (2.65%)
0.200 kg Crystal 120 (2.12%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Galaxy Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (0.2 g/L)
10.0 g Nugget Pellet (8.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (0.3 g/L)
10.0 g Summer Pellet (5.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (0.3 g/L)
20.0 g Galaxy Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
20.0 g Summer Pellet (5.3% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Safbrew T-58

^ dark farmhouse ale.

Done my first saison via no chill that started fermenting today.

85% pils
13% Vienna
2% wheat

Mashed at 67c for 60mins

Bittering with Warrior to 20ibu and a cube addition of cacscade to 7ibu

Pitched Rehydrated Danstar Belle Saison for 3 days @ 20c, will raise to 28c to finish ferment.

Got an interesting aroma from the ferment inside the fridge, much more spices compared to ales I always make.

Will post back the results.

Latest posts

Back