Double yeast pitch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Native Brew Co.

Reaction score
This is only my 2nd time brewing an amber ale. Its from a 20L fresh wort kit and after pitching the original 11gr of yeast not a lot happened after a quick active ferment which lasted about a day. I let it sit for 5 days thinking it would come around, then decided to pitch a second lot of yeast and again which didnt really do anything. I also dry hopped about 50gr of hop pellets about 2 weeks in, and now its been 4 weeks.

Lifting the lid it smells like a mellow hoppy smell mixed with the alcohol smell, and there is a layer of something on top.

Does this sound ok or is this a bad thing?

I have a feeling it is just the hops floating back up but Im very new to brewing and its hard to tell somethings.

Thanks in advance chaps!!

What temp are you fermenting at? What hydrometer reading are you getting?

A gravity reading will tell you if its ready, there is generally always a bit of something sitting on top, especially if you dry hop.

Your FG is wrong, the SG can't increase after fermentation. It's reading about 1.007 in the photo. It's done I'd say.

Latest posts

Back