double batch HEX'd BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cke11y

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have had an idea for my ultimate brewing rig for a little while now, and have spent some time recently drawing it up.

I enjoy brewing, but am a perfectionist, so removing the stress of hitting temps perfectly, etc, lends my personality to electric. But I really enjoy BIAB, and don't want a 3V system. Part of the reason against 3V is I want to be able to brew different sized batches (small and large) in various pots without upgrading the whole system ( a disadvantage of most 3V systems in my personal opinion). The other design issue I had was the need to try (home wiring capabilities allowing) to brew 2 batches simultaneously, so I can brew substantial amounts in a relative short time.

a BCS controlled (auto ball valve) hard plumbed HEX with both HLT and CLT will be at the heart of my system, with twin CCF chillers as the exchange mechanism. This will allow both brews to be heated or cooled simultaneously or separately depending on what stage they are at.

Temp control with the BCS will provide temp control peace of mind and make double simultaneous batching relatively stress free.

I have attached a pic, and would appreciate feedback negative or positive. I understand it is complex, but this is also in my nature - the build and project are exciting for me. This will also become almost a feature piece in my home bar, so a shiny piece of automated brewing equipment that can tick away while I watch the cricket with mates is important.

Cheers

CK

Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 6.29.05 pm.png

This isn't the 2nd coming of Bandito is it?
Before I scrutinise too much - all I see is the mashing system. Where is the kettle/s? Also, why the cooling? Normally heating's all that's required, and with good cause. If you're considering using the CLT to chill the boiling wort then disregard it - it'll need to be HUGE to do what you want it to for a typical 23l batch.
Genuinely keen to see this progress.

Why not put your coils in the HLT/CLT and use two less pumps and a load less valves then heat the HLT/CLT and recirculate your wort through it back to your pots, way less engineering and headache

Hey wiggman. I have no idea what the bandito is. Should I look it up?

Both the left and right hand vessels are for separate biab batches. So they are HLT/MLT/BK in my eyes. As for the cooling. It is simply to cool wort to pitching temp in an automated way. It's a fair bit of engineering for this purpose granted but an all in one system is the desired result. Dump 3 bags of ice in there and it will work fine. That works fine for me now.

Rehabs! This is the reason I wanted to post for feedback. Good thinking. To do this I would need 2 coils in each HLT and CLT in order to be able to heat or cool both batches simultaneously. This isn't an issue and would mean 2 pumps could be used. I was trying to minimise the amount of items wort flows through though to aid clean up, and this reconfiguration would produce twice as many coils that wort travels through. But maybe that's no big deal?

Thanks already guys. Appreciate the feedback.

I'd just use one coil in each, when you ready to chill drain the hot water used for heating and dump cold water and ice in there and keep recirculating and then just run cold water slowly through the thing to chill, might not be the most efficient way of chilling though, personally I'd use a plate chiller and divert through that to chill but it does create one more item to clean though,

I use gas and circulate through a pump and plate chiller with a pilot light and temp controller which fires a solenoid, simple and it works have a look at the Brutus setup with two pots and two pumps basically two BIAB rigs on the same stand you can do a big batch in it or two BIAB batches which is what I am about to build with two 100L pots, then you can have temp control but not the extra kit and its easy enough to do it with electric elements

That makes much more sense.
I'd be surprised if a single vessel carries enough 'coolth' to be able to chill the worts to pitching temp, assuming your pic's to scale. I haven't done the maths to argue either way.

Considering the intent of your system (two different batches at the same time), if you used the coils in the HLT then this would be limiting. Both vessels would have to be heated to the same temp at the same time.
I think the dual exchangers idea works better because you could cut off the flow to individual exchangers to stop heating. Wort should pump all the time, hot water would turn on or off depending on your control temp. You'd always keep the HLT a few degrees hotter than your hottest mash step temp. The temp of the HLT will be a major consideration when going to mash out.
Some proportional valves would be ideal but I'm hoping you're an electrical/software/PCS engineer if you're heading into that territory.

Sticking with 4 pumps, I would use the 4th pump to circulate water in the HLT while chilling is not in progress.

Regarding Bandito - this legendary thread: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/41265-fully-automated-brewing-system-design/
It's brilliant.

Yep true wiggman. Having it such as my diagram will provide allowances for more 'finessing' of each individual batch and perhaps provide more control. Money and setup drama aren't massive concerns. More of a consideration for me is relative futureproofing.

I'm no engineer or sparky. But dad and my best mate both are :)

I will insulate the CLT somehow. And a future consideration if viable is perhaps glycol use in this tank? I don't know much about this, and is very much a future issue. In the meantime I'll just smash plenty if ice in there.

I am keen to finalise this design and start modifying vessels, as well as getting bcs circuitry finalised and componentry ordered.

Gonna digest that thread. Looks pretty cool.

Digested the thread on what was basically a dick length competition and example of online bullying.

I am interested in automated temp control. Perhaps some CIP gear too. Certainly won't be bastardising pill dispensers for hops additions. But if that makes someone happy then power to ya!

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back