Discarding Spent Grain & Fermentation Trub In The Garden - Acidity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would the ph rise after a couple of days of being out in the weather? I can't think of a good reason aside from moisture in the air at ph7 mixing in with the grain. Maybe. I do know that chooks won't touch it for at least two days.

Spent grains, trub and yeast sediment are all very high in nitrogen, which means they'll fire up biological activity in a compost heap or in the soil. That's why they soon turn sour. They will temporarily depress pH but have only a slight lasting effect on soil pH, easily counteracted with lime or wood ashes. They should be espeially useful in compost if the other ingredients are low in nitrogen, such as sawdust, dead leaves and straw. As Partial Man said, mix well. I dig them directly into soil well in advance of planting, mostly where leafy greens or sweetcorn are going in. In fruting plants such as tomatoes I found they encourage too much top growth and discourage fruiting.

I've seen no effects on worms, but it's possible. Probably the hops, which are toxic to so many forms of life other than us lucky few.

Look up the history of the word cloaca; it's a gem.

Not For Horses said:
. I do know that chooks won't touch it for at least two days.
I dumped 10.5 kilo of spent grain in the chook pen at probably 50 deg c and they were into it full on cant get enough of it

Not sure if anyone has raised this yet as I'm reading on the tram on the dodgy iphone app, but apparently hops can be poisonous to dogs. If you google that you'll see there are reputable studies confirming it. So best not chuck spent hops where the dog can get them.

Kevin Hawley said:
Not sure if anyone has raised this yet as I'm reading on the tram on the dodgy iphone app, but apparently hops can be poisonous to dogs. If you google that you'll see there are reputable studies confirming it. So best not chuck spent hops where the dog can get them.
My hops go into the wheelie bin for this exact reason. Spent grains go to the chooks, but I'm not prepared to risk the hops being eaten by my dogs.

Plus they give my bin a nicer smell.

Back