Straining hops / trub into fermenter - grain bag!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mofox1

Wubba lubba dub dub!
Reaction score
I was looking for an easy way to strain the hops and trub from my cube, plus the contents of a side mini-boil before going into the fermenter.

I've previously either:
  • not bothered (this method still wins the least effort award)
  • used a strainer (clogs, occasionally overflows or falls in)
  • a splatter guard (failed horribly)
  • a grain bag stretched over the top (clogs, also falls in if not secured tightly enough)

This time I just lined my FV with the (biab?) grain bag before tipping the cube in. The mini-boil went straight from hops in, flame out, stir 1 min, pour into FV - I didn't have to chill it (the cube was previously sitting in my ferm fridge at 15o).

Then it's just a matter of lifting the bag and waiting for the mostly clear wort to drain and you're done.

Really, really, easy, and the only additional thing I had to do was a thorough clean/boil/starsan of the bag before use. There was still fine trub/hop material at the bottom of the fermenter, but only about 1cm, instead of 3-6cm (for the heavy cube hopped brews). This also has the benefit of very quickly cooling the mini-boil to keep all your fresh hop aromas from disappearing or adding to many extra IBU's.

This probably ain't news to the seasoned brewers and/or been mentioned before, but hell, it worked a treat for me.

Darren said:
Furthermore, If you do manage to get a "clean" plate it is by no means a stable or permanent culture. The yeast will die within a month or so as they can only acquire nutrients from their immediate area.

If you're pouring chilled from the cube why not try a new sanitised stocking stretched over the mouth of the FV and retained.

I can see it now, nylon stocking bulk buy...

Nothing suss hahaha

superstock said:
If you're pouring chilled from the cube why not try a new sanitised stocking stretched over the mouth of the FV and retained.
Single use?... I use a lot a water for cleaning/sanitising, but I do try to cut down on other waste.

I'm assuming that the holes are smaller so they catch more solids, but I'm pretty happy with the 1cm of hop/trub material that did get through - although I guess the less material the easier it is to collect/wash yeast... hmm.

So, are there many stocking boys out there? :ph34r: :lol:

Haha I was a stocking boy on the weekend. Used my hop spider to try and drain some of the trub.
It worked ok. I just used a small hop bag to strain it through. Got clogged fairly quickly and I had over flow but I may revisit it again when I work out a slightly better way.

mofox1 said:
So, are there many stocking boys out there? :ph34r: :lol:

Guilty :ph34r:

I put a colander large enough to sit in the mouth of the fermenter within the stocking and pour through it. Wash it out with my mashing bag and it is good for next time. Usually give it a rinse in the sanitiser and squeeze out before use (not sure if necessary but makes me feel thorough). Works well and captures more than a grain bag does.

Killer Brew said:
Guilty :ph34r:

I put a colander large enough to sit in the mouth of the fermenter within the stocking and pour through it. Wash it out with my mashing bag and it is good for next time. Usually give it a rinse in the sanitiser and squeeze out before use (not sure if necessary but makes me feel thorough). Works well and captures more than a grain bag does.
sound neat...do you get any overflowing/splashback around the FV lid? What size colander do you use? (pics?) I assume it is wider at the top than the fermentor opening and thought that the stocking covered colander might restrict the flow to the point where the wort overflows?

I've tried using a hop sock to filter the hops when dumping into the fermenter with some success and some failure. At The Reject Shop in town I found a $5 strainer that looked to be a good kitchen accessory for you know, straining 2 minute noodles. I've used it a few times on the fermenter and I can't think of a handier way to do it.

Sanitised strainer ready for action -
1.jpg

Immediately after tipping the cube -
2.jpg

After letting it sit for a while, clearly plenty of hops kept out -
3.jpg

If you leave your cube upright on a bench (so that it is higher than the FV) for a couple of days you should be able to just siphon the wort out and leave a lot of the hops and trub behind. You might lose a little extra wort but it seems a little more straight forward than trying to strain.

If you leave your cube upright on a bench (so that it is higher than the FV) for a couple of days you should be able to just siphon the wort out and leave a lot of the hops and trub behind. You might lose a little extra wort but it seems a little more straight forward than trying to strain.
I used to do something similar when I had taps on my cubes. I'd sit the cube on a trolley bench thing while I went about preparing the fermenter etc. then just open up the tap and drain it. Once all the sludgy shit started making an appearance I turned the tap off. The taps don't fit properly in my new cubes though so I've just gone back to pouring them in. Maybe I'll investigate Wiggman's process to keep more of the crap out because it does get stirred up when I pick up the cube to tip it into the FV. I haven't tried cube hopping yet but it might help keep out some of the break material.

I have been through all that, hop sock, strainers, wife's tights, best thing now is the helix, cheap and no more worrying about any matter going into the fermenter. Love it.

I've recently been chucking a lot of home grown hops in the cube which I'd rather keep out of the ferment.

Since I have a glass carboy, I use a big oil funnel from an auto shop which I sit a sieve in. Works a treat.

Latest posts

Back