Different wort aeration kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where has jamil z advocated against oxygenating wort? I've listened to a the brew strong podcasts about it, and he certainly didn't discourage using it.

The most efficient way is the bunnings trade and go oxygen tanks. You get 2.1 m3 of oxygen. You only need 1 minute of oxygen at 1l per minute. $69 and a refundable $200 deposit.

It will last 2100 brews 23l brews.

For $69 you could do a brew every two weeks for the rest of your life and you wouldn't run out. 3 cents a brew

The Bunnings bottle is clearly a very reasonable option, but I think you should give a full costing: -
Deposit $200, Gas $69 A decent O2 Regulator call it $50+, Airstone, Line and Clips say $20, maybe a stainless wand, a bit of petrol money...
Call it $350 give or take, up front. Not unreasonable really and a good option for some people, certainly for anyone that has other uses for O2 and has an accessible Bunnings.
Its a relatively a big bulky system which may or may not matter but the compact systems based on disposable gas bottles have some advantages to. Like a lower up front cost and better portability and stashability.

Up to us all to decide which is going to be the system that fits our personal needs best, not a Right/Wrong type of thing, just a personal choice.
Mark

Where has jamil z advocated against oxygenating wort? I've listened to a the brew strong podcasts about it, and he certainly didn't discourage using it.

I'd be interested to hear if JZ has changed his tune on O2 as well. I've listened to pretty much all of the brewstrong podcasts, and as far as I can remember he's always been an advocate. He may have released something recently which I have missed, but it would be a big about face for him, given the importance he placed on it in many of his podcasts.

Is it possible he was referring to avoiding O2 in sour beers/wild ferments?

JD

From memory he has said that it may not be necessary to use an air stone, or at least it wont be much different without one, and that yeast or the wort can get O2 from the surface of the wort. Dont quote me here :D

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Aussie Home Brewer mobile app

JZ's advice also takes in the gravity of the wort, not necessary on wort below 1.060 or there abouts but advises to oxygenate the wort if it is in the high gravity. I believe it has something to do with how long the oxygen will stay dissolved in the higher gravity wort.
For the more academically inclined there is lots of reading matter in the Wiley on line library.

Latest posts

Back