Different wort aeration kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SBOB. At one stage people used Lead in house paint, Asbestos in cigarette filters, Mercury in polish for household silver...
Should things never change?

Why is this so hard to get your head around, what's the motivation. we have several existing systems that are safe, comply with modern standards and do the job well.
If I were to suggest that it was all about the extra $50... well go back to page 12 or so and start again.
Frankly your in intransigence in persisting that demonstrably unsafe equipment is just fine is approaching the level of trolling.

SBOB said:
I think it's better to compare people against the median instead of average, it's more accurate as there are those really dumb ones bringing down the average...
And the really bright ones that push it up... Life is pretty good somewhere in the middle, if your on the low side of the line, you don't have to prove it!
Mark

MHB said:
I strongly suspect that the O2 bottles will have in the fine print a warning about them only being suitable for very specific connection to the sellers own equipment. I'm sure that there is someone reading their bottle to prove me wrong.. please do so, but I will be surprised.
I just went & checked my Tradeflame bottle. Nothing on there that states it should only be used or connected to any specific equipment or brand.

MHB said:
SBOB. At one stage people used Lead in house paint, Asbestos in cigarette filters, Mercury in polish for household silver...

Why is this so hard to get your head around, what's the motivation. we have several existing systems that are safe, comply with modern standards and do the job well.
If I were to suggest that it was all about the extra $50... well go back to page 12 or so and start again.
Frankly your in intransigence in persisting that demonstrably unsafe equipment is just fine is approaching the level of trolling.

And the really bright ones that push it up... Life is pretty good somewhere in the middle, if your on the low side of the line, you don't have to prove it!
Mark
You're the dumbest smart person I know Mark.

Crusty said:
I think you'll find they stopped selling the oxygen cylinders due to a lack of sales. It certainly wasn't due to any safety concerns.
I spoke with them on the phone about it a couple of days ago.
I should have bought my kit 12 months ago, as it would have been safe then....

MHB said:

Mark
Th

MHB said:

Mark
The problem here, once again Mark, is the need to start pushing the boundaries with your comments because you simply disagree with what you yourself deem to be unsafe. You have absolutely no proof whatsoever, nor can you give one form of proof that the reg in dispute is unsafe. All the disposable regulators lack some form of compliance branding, be it use no oil, compliance numbers etc. The reason I kept pushing back at you & your comments was you were questioning what the sellers & or distributors, tradies etc, have told me on the phone. Why do you persist & have a go at people that disagree with you.
All these regulators have to meet some form of compliance otherwise they would simply be withdrawn from sale & illegal to sell. So please, please stop pushing the unsafe line, you got no proof about their safety whatsoever.

I've sent out a worldwide warning to all these home brewers that use the little brass Bernzomatic regulators.
Stop what your doing now, your gunna blow yourselves up.
Warning: The following video may be so dangerous that it's advised to stop what your doing now.
Viewer discretion is advised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coldspace said:
So does the brewman regulator fit theses trade flame bottles?
The Tradeflame bottle has a standard M10 thread.
I'm not sure what the BR is but at a guess, I would think so.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
yeah, I think you're wrong mate. And I can support it. My company doesn't have an ISO subscription at the moment but this is handy

https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:5171:ed-3:v1:en

On the left you have the TOC you can expand Section 5 down to 5.1.2. There you see a dedicated section for Oxygen.

That standard covers many... you want Oxygen specific. ISO 5171 marked means stuff all for meeting oxygen requirements.

The way you reasoned is the danger. We're looking for "USE NO OIL" on the gauge.

And here

http://www.wikapolska.pl/upload/DS_PM0106_GB_4027.pdf

A data sheet applying the safety pattern of ISO 5171 and the "USE NO OIL" symbol.

Check again mate.
Does the Cigweld regulator tick all the required boxes?
It's rated for oxygen

What are the requirements (if any) for any equipment attached to the low pressure side of the regulator?
i.e. plastic lines, s/s dip tubes, air stones, plastic flow meter devices, clamps etc?
Does any of this equipment on the low pressure side pose any problems?
All of this equipment is probably the most easily contaminated by handling, cleaning, sanitizing etc

Genuine question : not shit-stirring :D

The Air Stone is made entirely of 316 Stainless, the ones I plumbed up used Barrier Line. This has a Nylon internal layer with a Polyethylene outer. Nylon (other than Teflon is about as good as you can get).
Could use solid Nylon but its about as flexible as 8-Gaug high tensile fencing wire, made the whole thing fairly unwieldy (yep was tested).

I wouldn't choose inexpensive PVC (CVT - Clear Vinyl Tube) just a bit too reactive and prone to leaching flavour's for my taste. Tho it is probably chemically safe - Nylon is better, the pressure rating on the Barrier line was a hell of a lot higher, so it was one of those cover your arse choices. Safe working pressure on 6mm line is 6 Bar (600kPa), 50% more than the reg puts out. This type of line is also much more resistant to the cleaning chemicals used in brewing so it was I think the best all round choice.
Good Reference - Coastal Pneumatics
Mark

Honestly beer line probably wont be a problem, as I was in retail at the time, take all care and be ready to spend time saying "well your Honor its was like this..."
I think we both know you're a thoughtful and careful brewer who isn't going to do anything too silly, the line you have isn't really an issue, a lot better than most people would choose.
Mark

Exile said:
I have emailed Wika the makers of the Gauges asking if these gauges where safe with oxygen and the reply was.....

[SIZE=12pt]All pure oxygen bottles are required to have a gauge “cleaned for oxygen’[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]This is because any dirt grime or oil will cause a spark and potentially an explosion.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]This gauge is not[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] “clean for oxygen”[/SIZE]
So what's the deal, is the gauge on the Brewman reg ok to use?

It is factory fitted to the regulator, which is sold as a dedicated Oxygen Regulator, with the standards to which it complies written on the regulator.
So YES! it is safe to use - not safe to abuse, as with all industrial equipment keep clean, use according to instructions, and think before doing anything out of the ordinary.
Mark

That doesn't seem right to me. The regulator is stamped EN 2503 and O for oxygen so that's all good, but the gauge is just stamped ISO 5171, and ISO 5171 states that oxygen-compatible gauges need to be stamped with USE NO OIL and OXYGEN as well.

Exile even emailed WIKA who made the gauges and they said they're not for use with oxygen. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/77928-different-wort-aeration-kits/?p=1397214

Here's a picture of a gauge made by WIKA that IS approved for use with oxygen for reference.

PIC_PR_111_31_de_de_25737.jpg.png

Well, this has been a fascinating thread so far.
369 posts to date, all about jury rigging a system to save at most the cost of a batch of beer?

I have put one of Brewman's system on my wish list for Christmas. Couldn't be arsed doing it all for myself and running all over the place for separate bits and pieces.

Almost too scared to use my brewman o2 kit now. I just hope there are no loud noises next time i am using it, might wear the brown undies just in case.

warra48 said:
Well, this has been a fascinating thread so far.
369 posts to date, all about jury rigging a system to save at most the cost of a batch of beer?

I have put one of Brewman's system on my wish list for Christmas. Couldn't be arsed doing it all for myself and running all over the place for separate bits and pieces.
I don't think it's about saving a few bucks. Part of the reason people looked in to the Bossweld regulators was the flow meter. It also appeared to be safe and why wouldn't you save the money if it's just as good. Now that we've uncovered all this information from the standards, some of us have pointed out that the Brewman one might not meet those requirements either, so really you have to splash out for the full C-size kit if you want to make sure.

Back