• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Difference between Ale and Lager

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

bL@De

Reaction score
Besides the yeast what differences need to be known in order to do an ale? I have only ever done ale's but wouldn't mind trying an lager.

I have found the ultimate place for brewing, in the pit :) A nice cozy 16 degrees C even though it's 40+ degrees above the wood. The only trouble is room down there but that's a small price to pay when you can brew all year round.

Any help would be appreciated.

PMyers

Reaction score
In short;

Ale - a beer brewed at temperatures between ~15C and 26C
Lager - a beer brewed below 15C (normally around the 11-12C mark), then stored at cold (0 to -1C) temperatures for seven to twelve weeks.

Of course there is more to it than that, but that is pretty much the long and short of it.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

bL@De

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll do a little more reading and see what I can come up with, no doubt I'll have some questions for you again shortly.

Bloody beer fridge decided to pack up :angry: Low on gas so the little brother has a job to do when he gets home...good to have a refridgeration mechanic on hand when you need one.

Latest posts