Difference between Ale and Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bL@De

Reaction score
Besides the yeast what differences need to be known in order to do an ale? I have only ever done ale's but wouldn't mind trying an lager.

I have found the ultimate place for brewing, in the pit :) A nice cozy 16 degrees C even though it's 40+ degrees above the wood. The only trouble is room down there but that's a small price to pay when you can brew all year round.

Any help would be appreciated.

In short;

Ale - a beer brewed at temperatures between ~15C and 26C
Lager - a beer brewed below 15C (normally around the 11-12C mark), then stored at cold (0 to -1C) temperatures for seven to twelve weeks.

Of course there is more to it than that, but that is pretty much the long and short of it.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

Thanks guys, I'll do a little more reading and see what I can come up with, no doubt I'll have some questions for you again shortly.

Bloody beer fridge decided to pack up :angry: Low on gas so the little brother has a job to do when he gets home...good to have a refridgeration mechanic on hand when you need one.

Back