Did I Just Ruined My Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernieg

Reaction score
G'day Fellas,

I'm fairly new to home brewing (this is my 4th brew so far).

Yesterday I started a brew using a kit (Brewcraft Bavarian beer). I did everything by the book: dextrose, kit tin, 2 litters of boiling water, mixed it well, added 20 liters of water, checked it was at 22 degrees C, added the yeast, mix again, close the lid, put the airlock on top...

and then I realized that I didn't take a sample to check with the hydrometer. So I open the little faucet to get a sample and about a drop or two of the water in the airlock got into the fermenting tank.

Usually that wouldn't be a problem I imagine, however, I believe the water in the airlock could have been water that had a bit of sanitizer. While preparing to start the brew I had a big jar of sanitized water (3% Hydrogen peroxide diluted with water).

At that precise moment when I saw that water from the airlock dropped into the fermented I thought "Oh sh*t".

I decided to leave it there and wait to see.

Now it has been over 12 hours and the airlock ain't bubbling...

Could it be that the hydrogen peroxide affected the yeast and therefore there's no fermenting happening?

I used a wheat yeast (safale k-97).

Any ideas?

Thanks very much in advance,

Ernie

Usually that wouldn't be a problem I imagine, however, I believe the water in the airlock could have been water that had a bit of sanitizer. While preparing to start the brew I had a big jar of sanitized water (3% Hydrogen peroxide diluted with water).
Hi ErnieG

As long as your airlock has sanitised water in it then a little bit in your brew shouldn't affect it. Lesson learned, hopefully there is no problem.

The lag time in your airlock beginning to bubble could be one or many things, inlcuding improper seal or inadequate amount of yeast/poor yeast health.

To get a good start for your yeast I suggest hydrating theyeast prior to brewing (do a search there's heaps on this) and oxygenating your wort before pitching i.e. stir/shake the cool wort (less than 25*C) vigorously for 10 mins.

If there is no apparent activity after 24 hours (there is no krausen forming) then I would suggest hydrating another yeast in cool boiled water and pitching that. My airlock hasn't bubbled for nigh on a year but I'm too skingy to replace the seal....so don't worry too much about the airlock bubbling :) .

Good luck

I agree with everything Brewer_010 has suggested/commented on.

You should be fine.

As an additional suggestion, I would recommend using Iodophor (an Iodine based sanitiser) in your airlock instead of hydrogen peroxide. Only a drop is required; it's odorless, tasteless and if you spill a drop or two into your beer, it won't hurt you (or your beer, of course :p )

reVox

I agree with Brewer_010!

- Hydrate your yeast. I have pitched non hydrated yeast and had to wait close to 72 hours for any visible sign of fermentation. Hydrated yeast kicks in within 6 hours for me, and is usually violently active.

- Make sure your lid is tight, but not so tight you wont be able to open it again.

- As Charlie says. 'Relax and have a homebrew.'

Francis.

Hi ErnieG

As long as your airlock has sanitised water in it then a little bit in your brew shouldn't affect it. Lesson learned, hopefully there is no problem.

The lag time in your airlock beginning to bubble could be one or many things, inlcuding improper seal or inadequate amount of yeast/poor yeast health.

To get a good start for your yeast I suggest hydrating theyeast prior to brewing (do a search there's heaps on this) and oxygenating your wort before pitching i.e. stir/shake the cool wort (less than 25*C) vigorously for 10 mins.

If there is no apparent activity after 24 hours (there is no krausen forming) then I would suggest hydrating another yeast in cool boiled water and pitching that. My airlock hasn't bubbled for nigh on a year but I'm too skingy to replace the seal....so don't worry too much about the airlock bubbling :) .

Good luck

Thanks very much fellas. I'll let you know how this goes. Yesterday night the airlock started bubbling, so I guess the fermentation process has started.

Cheers once again

Ernie

As an additional suggestion, I would recommend using Iodophor (an Iodine based sanitiser) in your airlock instead of hydrogen peroxide. Only a drop is required; it's odorless, tasteless and if you spill a drop or two into your beer, it won't hurt you (or your beer, of course :p )

reVox

Hydrogen peroxide is completely odourless & tasteless & breaks down into just water & oxygen. I know 1 homebrewer who adds it to has brew to oxygenate it & kick off the yeast (not recommending). So will work equally if not better than Idophor :)

cheers Ross

Hydrogen peroxide is completely odourless & tasteless & breaks down into just water & oxygen. I know 1 homebrewer who adds it to has brew to oxygenate it & kick off the yeast (not recommending). So will work equally if not better than Idophor :)

cheers Ross

good to know :)

If you are really worried, get rid of your airlock.They are highly overated.

I just put a peice of tape over the hole, have been doing this for years without problems

I have always used a piece of clear plastic hose that pushes neat into the grommet then run the end down into a coke bottle half filled with water with a teaspoon of sodium met...

Does nicely for me..and if you get an over active yeast flare up it doesn't matter. :D

the only down side is forgetting to pull the hse out before tapping off...

i ve had an extra 1/2 a litre of water/sod met. end up in the beer a couple of times.. :eek:

Sqyre... ;)

Back