Depression........Its real

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DU99 said:
.. he locked himself away in his bedroom for hours.
I must have had depression for a long time in my younger years. It was pretty taxing on my wrist ;)

But seriously - my bro inlaw is having a pretty rough time atm. Recent brake up with his girlfriend has made life harder because, as many have mentioned and he has told me a few times, he just needs someone there to talk to, get things off his chest. Which I guess we all do at times. He's a very passionate bloke who can get really stuck into any hobby he has on the go, and we've tried to help him out financially to get stuck into his hobby/ies - he can't hold a job down for long so never has much spare cash. He's on meds, but as he is often out of work, and is passionate about getting drunk, this "hobby" clashes with the meds and makes matters worse. Vicious cycle.

Wow. Brilliant thread.

Ongoing sufferer (a bit manic-depressive), early self-harm, back on meds at the moment to introduce a "baseline" - handy, as I'm changing jobs.

ya it not good Iput a mate in the ground one his 18 berthday found a work mate hanging on monday he was ok when I drop him of friday gess not wish thay had talked to me

I lost a few mates to depression. One last year actually. She was a good chick. Good miner. Good luck with the fight guys. Dont give up.

I don't know the torment or the pain. But I will do what I can to help those stuck in the darkness. I'm sure it's worth the fight.. I hope those of you tracked by the black dog find the light and strenght to move forward.

Cheers.

Suffered pretty badly years ago, then got retrenched. Did the whole psychiatrist, meds thing & got to talk about it.

I think accepting your condition & realising there is treatment out there goes a long way to recovery. Having the right people to help you through it is the most important asset you can have.

I am now in a much better place, new job in a completely different industry, great bunch of mates & a close family behind me.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Great thread Stu.

I have been lurking this thread for over a week now and wish to share my experience.

I have suffered anxiety and anger for 2 years now, which took its toll on my family and job this year losing both within weeks of each other. In march i tried to take my own life after a blew on the phone from my former partner and her family and a 2 day binge. If it wasnt for my neighbour and his quick thinking i probably wont be here to tell my story. I spent a bout 10 days in hospital and bombed me out on anti-depressants and sedatives. I started seeing a psycologist at the start of the year when things were unfolding.

2 weeks after i was discharged i tried it again, on a binge i started ringing family members and friends to say thankyou for their support and everything else they had done for me. I didnt think about it at the time but everyone i had rang interpreted the calls as "Goodbye". within half an hour of me attempting i had an ambulance and my brother on my doorstep and had another involuntary stay in hospital for a week.

Sorry to be graphic with this post, Im still not out of the woods yet and theres still no light at the end of the tunnel. But I can vouch that talking and seeing a psychiatrist regularly does help, even writing thoughts and feelings down in a book helps to a point. I hung up the biab bag in feb and have looked at it once since then.

Up to now im on a pretty regular med regime that keeps me calm and off edge and stops the evils telling me what to do.

Dont believe that admitting you have depression makes you less of a person because it doesnt.

If anyone feels they need a chat PM me and i'll reply with my mobile number. Dont take the path I did.

Cheers.

Stay well bro, you have lots of mates, remember that.

A good book is "The Happiness Trap" by Russ Harris. It has very useful and practical stuff for both depression and anxiety..... absolutely worth your time and energy to read.
Cheers
BBB

About time I got around to adding to this ..

My depression is a chronic long term form. This is possibly one of the worst.

Being a sufferer you do not even realise that you are a sufferer, a classic catch 22. To me everything seems ok. But to every one else it is not. The problem is that you keep going day to day as if everything is ok.
As a sufferer you tend to live day to day. And every days seems to be the same. The reality is that you loose interest in things. Your hobbies, family, work, food and enjoyment. Things that others find enjoyable just dont seem interesting, in fact nothing really does. You know your freinds and family are there, in the room, but its like you dont particularly care what they do or even why. In fact it would not even matter if they where not there. It is hard when you have younger kids as they want to do things and you just dont really want to. My ex told me I was "Boring" because I didnt want to do anything. the problem was that I didnt find anything enjoyable. And when I did did it was short lived. I could go out for a BBQ, have a good time, but when it was over, it was like "yeah it was OK". You just go back into your own world. You tend to become anti-social in some ways. I get the feeling that I dont fit in, even if I did, and didnt really want to talk or associate. Some days I would be happy as larry with a group of freinds and the next day just didnt feel like talking to them for no particular reason.

When I was first put on anti-depressants I felt unbelievable. For the first time in years I wanted to do things. I felt great. and I could see what I was like in the real world. Unfortunatly after a few years the meds lost their punch and I started slipping .

Now for the fun bit

My first medication was an SSRI ( selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) call Citalopram. this is a fairly safe widely used anti-depressant. Worked great, but if you missed a day or two the withdraw effects where terrible...I really fealt scatty and like shit. I felt great when on it initially. My whole body would tingle and feel alive. I could not stop wanting to do things. I was on this for about 3-4 years

The GP and Phsyc then put men onto ans SNRI ( serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) called cymbalta when the first basically stopped working. FARRKK....I hated it, gave me terrible headaces and nausea... 3-4 weeks of that and I was ready to kick it. I was a mess for those weeks.

Now I am on a NaSSa ( noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant ) ( similare to a tetracyclic antidepressant ) called Mirtazapine, which is slowly starting to kick in

The feeling being in on the meds is like chalk and cheese. You become normal, so to speak, and life in general seems a lot more fun. You find that things become enjoyable and worth doing. Its like being on a strange drug that seems to open you up. The only prob is when you miss a day. It does not take long for withdraw symptoms to appear. Talking 12hrs. I felt vague with wierd pulses in my brain.. very hard to describe. It wasnt like you where back in depression mode just wierd.

Now not all meds are the same. There are several classes of antidepresents and they all work slightly different. SSRI & SNRI work by stopping the brain from absorbing seratonin and/or norepinephrine/noadrenaline or by antagonizing the receptors as in Nassa

The main thing is that there is help and the modern drugs do help. Its just finding the one that works.

Unfortunatly ( or maybe fortunatly ) my meds have stopped me from wanting to drink. I enjoy a few beers/wines etc but dont really feel like getting drunk. Maybe its cause I am older or just the way the drugs work. Either way I dont care casue they make me feel good and thats all that matters.

Nice post DucboyStu. You are right that getting the meds regime right is very important and what works for one will not necessarily work for another. Good to see Avanza is treating you well ;) ... The same principle applies when finding a psych or counselor, finding the right one can make a big difference and try not to get discouraged if you do end up with a tool, move on and find another.

I don't recommend books often but the one in my above post is seriously worth a read. It does not matter if you have a major depression episode or cyclothymia which I'm guessing you have, the contents will be of help.
Watch the weight gain bro ..... mirtazapine can (emphasis on can) slowly increase your weight.
cheers
BBB

Mirtazapine seems to be working. Last 6 months have not been good due to circumstances and drug changes.

All meds have side effects. I have noticed the Mirtazapine makes me want to eat more than usually when I do. This because seratonin works mainly in the digestive tract.It does not make you hungry but interferes with the stomach sending the "I am full "message. It also makes you sleep well.

actually the side affect of eating is not a bad thing for me. Whilst I ate healthy I didn't really eat enough. They prescribe Mirtazapine for cases of anorexia.

And I am not skinny...but not fat....

Depression does interfere with the way you eat

This is the first time I have ever posted anything like this and I thank Stu and others like Wallace for being so frank and honest.

My experiences with depression in the community (friends, neighbours, etc) go back to some of my earliest memories. My neighbour gassed himself in his car when I was about 8 and my under 10 footy coach shot himself and his two kids. Since then the "big s" has been probably the biggest reason for my attendance at funerals over the last 20 years. I don't have enough fingers to count them and they have all been male.

Personally I believe depression has been around for ever but similar to ASD (autism) is just now being diagnosed or recognised and treated seriously. I have had periods where I have needed meds but it wasn't my choice - my wife said I needed help with my "moods". I didn't realise that me mood was so low and was affecting my family. I was on them for a while but felt I didn't need them after 18 months or so. They were shithouse for the first 2 weeks and the same coming off them for 2 weeks.

Depression hits me for a lot of reasons: money problems, work, relationship pressures, etc. I found a few things helped - playing team sports, reading books on Buddhism, being more open with my wife and friends about how I feel. Reading this thread has brought me to tears (of happiness and empathy) knowing that other people have been through similar experiences and that there is a community of "booze hounds" so willing to share, help and discuss.

I have been pretty good lately but I am aware that the next down time is around the corner. I am lucky I have a supportive network. Thanks for reading my post and I hope those who are in a similar position seek help in times of crisis.

ratchie said:
Mirtazapine does make you hungry which is good for me at the moment, after along term relationship breakdown due too us both becoming severly depressed caused by my (ex) partner having a couple of heart attacks over xmas.
Mmmmm..not so correct. Affects different people in.different ways. I am not so much more hungry...but when I eat i tend to not feel full.

But this is not the jist of the thread :)

Ducatiboy stu said:
About time I got around to adding to this ..

The reality is that you loose interest in things. Your hobbies, family, work, food and enjoyment. Things that others find enjoyable just dont seem interesting, in fact nothing really does. You know your freinds and family are there, in the room, but its like you dont particularly care what they do or even why. In fact it would not even matter if they where not there. It is hard when you have younger kids as they want to do things and you just dont really want to. My ex told me I was "Boring" because I didnt want to do anything. the problem was that I didnt find anything enjoyable. And when I did did it was short lived. I could go out for a BBQ, have a good time, but when it was over, it was like "yeah it was OK". You just go back into your own world. You tend to become anti-social in some ways. I get the feeling that I dont fit in, even if I did, and didnt really want to talk or associate. Some days I would be happy as larry with a group of freinds and the next day just didnt feel like talking to them for no particular reason.

Good thread

You have taken the words out of my mouth stu..I also suffer from Depression and anxiety

I'm unemployed due to illness and injuries so that does not help.
I think the media has helped to put the spot light on depression and anxiety which I think helps us men folk to talk about it more freely..
This is a terrible forum to state this but I think alcohol has a lot to do with it! well in my case for sure, the more hung over I am the more depressed and anxious I get.
I aren't giving up the grog in a hurry so I just avoid drinking too much :lol:

Chins up everyone...Cheers Dave

PS Im on the meds too....

I have found myself in new and uncharted waters. Just been put on Meds. Wife and I are sleeping in seperate beds. I was at a really low point late last year. Have a good G.P. with 24 hr access. I have not brewed in over 7 months just seemed to lose intrest in all activaties. Am now starting to look forward to things however I'm unsure as to which way things will go. Hanging in limbo is the most difficult.

Finding support on a forum such as this is a great help. Knowing I'm not alone.

Admiting I have an issue was such a great help. I don't know how long I have been suffering.

Guys talk to your G.P. Go once a year for a check up and a chat(when you are not sick). If your G.P. dose not seem to be asking the right questions FIND A NEW ONE.

Damien.

They are testing ketamine at the moment and have found that in clinical trials after 40 mins on a drip symptoms were shown to be reduced, would be a great thing if folks didn't have to wait days / weeks for meds to work

Latest posts

Back