Depression........Its real

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
They are testing ketamine at the moment and have found that in clinical trials after 40 mins on a drip symptoms were shown to be reduced, would be a great thing if folks didn't have to wait days / weeks for meds to work
i'd be surprised if that had any longer term effects though, the effects of ketamine seem to dissipate quite quickly from what i know. You'd have to be constantly on the stuff, but i might be wrong. Interesting nonetheless.

The notable effects may dissipate in a short time frame but an adjustment to chemical reactions within the grey matter may last longer,hhardly am expert on the matter but following the trials with interest…

Cheers

Ketamine?

**** me.

Reading an interesting book at the moment on the evidence for and against brain chemistry being the main/sole cause of mental unwellness. Will be able to comment further when I've actually completed but I like the fact that the author is not dogmatic, did not start out with a particular barrow to push (initially simply researching historical methods of treatment) and has a credible background (PhD, University professor etc).

I believe the UK and possibly US are trailing MDMA (ecstasy) as a treatment with PTSD with some considerable success. I think it's telling that the drugs people choose to use recreationally look as though they may have clinical benefits, just as drugs that are indicated in a clinical context clearly have recreational benefits.

Great thread and kudos to everyone contributing.

Myself I suffered with some anxiety and depression, got to the point where I thought all of my good friends hated me, it is bizarre to think back on it and I am just thankful I am on the other side. I haven't told many people about it but when I did it helped immensely.

Probably couldn't be any more public now as my username is my last name but oh well, I hope anyone who needs helps seeks it and recovers from any shitty periods in their life.

manticle said:
Ketamine?

**** me.

Reading an interesting book at the moment on the evidence for and against brain chemistry being the main/sole cause of mental unwellness. Will be able to comment further when I've actually completed but I like the fact that the author is not dogmatic, did not start out with a particular barrow to push (initially simply researching historical methods of treatment) and has a credible background (PhD, University professor etc).
I recall listening to a podcast regarding the links between gut flora health and the brain in particular with regards to anxiety and depression. It was from radio national, either 'the science show' or 'all in the mind'. I'd be interested in this book, is it along those lines?
My partner suffers from IBS and her father is severely depressed and also has gut issues.

Hi Everyone,

I've also been struggling with this "cancer" for a very long time. I've tried all sorts of medicine. They all have their pro and cons. Avanza did make you want to eat constantly, slept like a rock, had jetlag for 2 months, and did not feel like any alcohol. Lexapro seems like quite a mild one.

I think the medicine does make you more "normal", but it is not the end of all means. Although I still drink allot, I try to monitor it more closely as it does have a negative effect on me. I try to keep busy, otherwise I find myself analysing everything too much.

Not trying to be too deep, but a Docter by the name of Windfried Sedhoff wrote a book on depression. He himself was a sufferer. He talks about humans having basic needs and they need to be met, self needs, family needs and community needs. In short, if any of these needs are not met, then the balance will be gone and you will not be happy.

Cheers

Stu and I have been friends for going on 10 years now ans we have discussed our depression over the years.

I am the same as Stu...... long term cronic. Its always been there, never really been good and bad times...... just all grey.

I have also spent my life not enjoying anything, not interested in going on holidays, socializing, doing anything at all really except the hobbies i took up to immerse my mind in to distract myself from my true feelings and try and find some pleasure.

I have moved from town to town, job to job running from it.

I remember one night about 14 years ago going, sitting in the middle of the Highway at about 2am, in the north western town of Moree, waiting for a truck to come run me over. A truckie pulled up and dragged me off the road. We sat in the gutter and had a chat and he really helped me. That was the first time i really started to realize there was something wrong with me. I just didnt really know what or how to deal with it.

I wallowed around in my grey cloud for years and years, always wondering why people seemed to enjoy going places and doing things. Wondering how people could smile so much. Where was the fun? It was just survival and existence for me. mixed with the ever present thoughts of "what's the point" it was not fun but i always seemed to find a positive good enough to keep me going. Somehow my mind found a way. I was lucky enough to be in well paid jobs and i tended to immerse myself in work and a hobby to keep my head level. I would take the hobby to the max, pushing for the best i could do to gain inner happiness.

A lot of the time the only time i really felt alive was when i was risking my life in a fast car. I look back at some afternoons driving home from work in my WRX a couple years ago on back country roads..... My kids are lucky to still have a dad!

I think i knew i was depressed, but there was never any real recognition of it in society or help offered. None! My survival was an amazing feat of self preservation and i think this is probably the case for most long term depression sufferers, where you never see the goods and the bads to be able to separate them....... its just all blurred and muffled and grey.

Recently i almost lost my family and when they left i finally swallowed my pride and took myself to the doctor for help. We are all back together now and my recovery is getting along ok.

I have found the meds to be good and bad.

On the good side they have leveled my head and sort of allowed some color into life. I enjoy things more, don't feel the need to drink as much. I was at a birthday party today with most people drinking a lot. I had 4 beers and stopped, not even feeling like another. I now notice the wife and kids are there and take notice of what they are doing, their feelings, and involve myself in life with them.

On the flip side, they don't change who i am. I am still an anti social recluse and really struggle to get myself motivated to want to go out. Its like habit. Its who i am now and i really have to work hard at going and doing things, especially social events where i wont know many people. And i HATE it!

Its like the fog has cleared and i don't like what i see, and have not developed the skills to change it. But i tell myself its early and now that i have made the step to admit the problem and take the problem on, i will get there.

I dont think i will ever be a social butterfly but i enjoying what i have is better than never seeing it at all!

I want to thank you guys who have posted about living with chronic depression. I've been learning things from what you've said.

I've always been a guy who is willing to help out a friend in need or trouble, but what if they don't know they are? What if everyday is always dark? How can they talk about it or ask for help working with it? I didn't know what it was actually like and you guys have woken me up to it a bit. Hopefully I'll keep learning more.

Hopefully out of what you've said I can be a better friend to my friends who might be in the same boat you guys are. Thanks for helpin' me out.

know that you have it is the hardest. Its not like you wake up one morning and go " I am depressed". The problem is that it is gradual so don't noticed. Like getting fat...you don't realise until you get told

Ducatiboy stu said:
know that you have it is the hardest. Its not like you wake up one morning and go " I am depressed". The problem is that it is gradual so don't noticed. Like getting fat...you don't realise until you get told
Totally agree and what makes it even harder is that some days its not as bad as others so you almost feel like you can see a light at the end of that tunnel but the next day you are back in that dark dark hole.

Only yesterday I felt so run down and empty I didn't even want to get out of bed. Got out of bed at 1pm, moped (not with a mop but you know what I mean) around the house until 4pm and then didn't get off the couch until I went back to bed last night. The frustrating thing is the day before I was feeling good, went to the movies with the wife no problem at all. Today I'm still feeling a bit average, at work so that keeps the mind distracted but still feel like I could curl up under my desk for the day.

Will see how I go the rest of the week, I'm off on holidays Thursday (going to WA) for a week but not sure if that will be good or bad since I never like leaving "home" and usually get home sick before even going.

Wow, good thread.

Tony, thats a really succinct description of what my Dad has told me. He's got depression - mis-diagnosed as bi-polar and has been through a bunch of different meds to try and iron it out. I'm stoked that you're getting it together.

Dad has described the same sort of feelings. It's taken me a very long time to understand how he feels. To be completely honest, I'm probably only scratching the surface of what he deals with, but I'm learning more and more. It took me even longer to get out of the mind-set of "Dad, harden up, get off the couch and get over it". He's told me that depending on the meds, he is just apathetic and doesn't care. No highs, no lows (we don't buy Bose). I still find that hard to accept and keep pushing him to get active and do stuff.

The question I have is this; does excercise work? Like most people, I feel a hell of a lot better, more positive, happier and considerate when I excercise - which I do a couple of times a week. Does this help with folks who suffer depression?

Cheers - Mike

Yes it does. So does diet and sunshine. Its not just the meds alone than can help. From what I am gathering its is a chemical imbalance. Only your body can produce the chemicals involved. Meds only control how these chemicals are absorbed or breakdown. The main chemicals are seratonin, noradrenalin, dopamine and something else.

I may be wrong on a few things so don't take it as correct

Very interesting topic and one I can talk about with some experience.

Depression has been rife in my mother's side of family going back generations. My mum, aunties and sister were/are all on antidepressants. I wasn't spared either.

Spent all of my teenage years with incredibly low self esteem, suicidal thoughts a daily occurrence for over 10 years. It culminated when I was 21 when my girlfriend and I broke up on the same week I was fired from my job (unfairly, but that's another story).

I went to the doc and was prescribed Cipramil. One side effect I just could not get over though was the complete inability to climax.. with a partner or by myself! I certainly did not want to live if I could not do that so I gave them the flick and haven't been on anything since. Tried to improve my diet and started exercising and felt a lot better. A good diet and exercise definitely help... this along with therapy can definitely lessen/remove the need to be on antidepressants.

It's interesting about the studies they are doing on MDMA, having managed a popular nightclub in my early to mid twenties and being exposed to every drug you've heard of and some you haven't, I can speak with some (a lot of) authority on it as well.

Simply put - MDMA makes you a better person. It opens your heart immeasurably- emotionally that is, and you learn true compassion and love, respect and understanding for your fellow humans on such a huge level that is just not possible without it. And long after its effects have worn off, that compassion and love and understanding remain. And when its produced and dosed correctly, its safer than aspirin. The problem is, long term high recreational doses coupled with crooks making it instead of pharma companies - that's what makes it dangerous.

Interesting about the studies on ketamine too.. that just made me a space cadet.

But simple things that can help -

A good diet.
Exercise.
Getting out in the sun. Simple stuff like gardening.
Talking to people about how you feel!

I've lost 2 very close people to suicide.. and its made me realise that its NEVER EVER the answer. It's a permanent fix to a temporary problem.

Mike, i have found the meds just level you and allow you a clear(er) line of thought. enough so to be able to start making better decisions.

The certainly don't cure you. If anything they give you a kind of false sense of security at first thinking..... wow i feel great, and then you kind of start to level out and see both what you have missed in life and also the work ahead.

Exercise works, but you have to be able to get yourself up and motivated to exercise. Unfortunately motivation is not the strength of a person with depression. Catch 22.

Everyone is different and suffers differently so what works for one will not for another. I think the one thing that is common with all sufferers is that to make change (not get better.... you don't just "get better") you need to set your mind to do it. You need to make a conscious decision to change and do things differently and try to improve your life.

The meds help you level your head enough to get to this point.

I was talking to a friend on facebook one night.... just having a rant and a vent about all my problems and fears, and she said to me......

Tony........... you cant keep doing the same thing and expect a different result!

for some reason that slapped me in the face.

I was told on a chat with a brewer in here that went through it. He said the meds are like a crutch. You can't just walk around with a crutch. The crutch will help up up but that's about it.

As far as the MDMA goes, there could be truth in that. When I first started I felt like I was on speed. Still love that nice tingling feeling when.the meds **** in

Exercise helps with sadness, I wouldn't say I'm depressed but I have had a few sad days but getting out on my bike and going for a good ride makes me feel better and it seems to last for the next day, getting fitter also makes me feel better.

cheers steve

My wife uses exercise to help with her depression and anxiety (as well as meds) and it seems to help her but just couldn't seem to get myself in that same mindset.

It works with some people but not with others, pretty much look for something that works for you.

Back