Dedicated Herms Guide, Problems And Solution Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same thing on my MT, HEX and boiler haven't had an issue with melting or smelling like it's going to catch fire. It's an electric keggle.
Not cheap but worth it to get ramp times down.

Tex083 said:
"Not cheap but worth it..."
Like disconnects, hose, silicone, cleaners, taps, couplers, controllers, HERM-IT, elements, pots, stirplate, oxygen... damn this hobby, dead-set.

TheWiggman said:
Like disconnects, hose, silicone, cleaners, taps, couplers, controllers, HERM-IT, elements, pots, stirplate, oxygen... damn this hobby, dead-set.
Everytime my wife mentions how costly this hobby is I subtly suggest that I'd love to buy an old clunker, restore it and then stick a big ass Whipple on it and get it to run 9's. I then inform her how much my Mopar mad mates spend on their hobby and what they think a 'cheap' price is. Always seems to bring things back into perspective.

DRAINING YOUR COIL:

Hey Hermers, I did my first brew on my new HERMS rig on the weekend - Nev's HX and coil and I cannot speak highly enough of its performance. By no means a sales pitch but after running a RIMS for a few years I can see how this system is an option - If you wanna weigh up the pros and cons of HERMS v RIMS I can give you the answers but NOT what I am asking here...

SO, You have done your brew, run some PBW through the coil, then some water and you remove and it to drain? Up ended it drains.. a little. I just gave it a 'swirl' and a lot of water came out, it even made the 'glugging' noise.....

So, I have an idea, my coil has cam locks at each end - what about I make a fitting - cam lock to c02 and blast out the coil with c02 - is anyone doing this?

How do you drain it? surely water or any liquid sitting stale in the coils is not good?

Thoughts?

I don't do it. Probably should. I always recirc with hot pbw after the mash. Have tried draining also flushing with compressed air but it never drains fully. I figure the same water also sits in my pumps after a brewday so I just make sure I recirc hot water before a batch and every few brews flush the system with 80c plus pbw liquor.

As a helpful to your situation
. Can you not get the hex to boiling? Wouldn't heat evaporate anything in the coil?

I reckon a blast of co2 would help as long as you were careful. But if you go to this measure surely you should do the same to any part of the system where water can sit. (I say this because my pumps are fixed and retain some moisture after a brew)

Hmm, thanks heaps guys, There is no other spot liquid could settle, my rig all breaks down and drains/flushes easily - just nervous about the coil.

I will run the fitting and repot back.

Sincerely, thank you for the replies....

Changing teams is a hard haul... but my PID runs it the same, so am a step ahead.

GO team herms. :ph34r:

I have been flushing with hot water I'm also using a counter flow chiller which I have been pumping through but no pbw I figure it's not much but my cfc is pretty long I'm interested to hear more on this Im not sure co2 is the solution for many brewers but would take much to incorporate either but is it needed ?

I just disconnect it, take it outside, put lips around the discharge then blow hard. Easy as bro.

Ok, had coil upside down draining for 2 days now and made a fitting for C02 blast.... Gave it a blast and got some more water out - not a lot a few dribbles but feel better, then after purged capped it with cam lock dust covers - so assume it is full of C02 for storage.

I think it would have dried right out with another day or 2, so really an unnecessary step but, hey, it cant hurt I guess...

Thanks for the help, all.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back