Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welly2 said:
Same version. 2.3.7. See attached.

attachicon.gif
Bitter.bsmx
@welly2

According to beersmith on my pc your profile is correct and gives me exact mash and sparge volumes.
(although i don't have "Adjust mash vol for losses" ticked).

Have you changed the grain absorption in the advanced settings tab to 0,7669 fl oz from 0,96 ?

nfragol said:
@welly2

According to beersmith on my pc your profile is correct and gives me exact mash and sparge volumes.

Have you changed the grain absorption in the advanced settings tab to 0,7669 fl oz from 0,96 ?
I'll have a look when I get home, thanks for checking in to it though!

nfragol said:
@welly2

Just checked it on my work computer, that did the trick! It's absolutely bang on now. Thanks very much. This profile should go back to the developer of Beersmith to include with the software.

Sorry welly2, nfragol is right I should of added that to the comments section of my post.

Anyone with a Grainfather and a Mini mill with fluted rollers ? If so what size gap are you using?

A.B. said:
Anyone with a Grainfather and a Mini mill with fluted rollers ? If so what size gap are you using?
Have the same set-up. Settled on 0.9mm for all Barley grists. Mash Efficiency varies between 75 and 82%, usually dependent on the grain weight. Haven't had a stuck sparge yet. Happy with the consistency and balance between efficiency and ease of sparging.

Thanks. I had set my mill up at 0.9 for its first use tomorrow, so it's good to get confirmation

So it's happened to me again.... I keep getting stuck ferments and I don't know why. My IPA has stalled at 1.016 (starting gravity 1.064) and it's been in primary for 2 weeks. I had it at 18 degrees for 1 week, 20 degrees for about 4 days, then added a new brew to the fridge so dropped back to 19 degrees. Could it have anything to do with the wort temp when I pitched the yeast?

BKBrews said:
So it's happened to me again.... I keep getting stuck ferments and I don't know why. My IPA has stalled at 1.016 (starting gravity 1.064) and it's been in primary for 2 weeks. I had it at 18 degrees for 1 week, 20 degrees for about 4 days, then added a new brew to the fridge so dropped back to 19 degrees. Could it have anything to do with the wort temp when I pitched the yeast?
It might well be finished based on your OG. What yeast did you use? What was your target FG?

I'll have to check my recipe sheet (can't find it), but the expected FG was around 1.012 using US-05.

EDIT: Expected SG was 1.065 and expected FG was 1.013.

At 75% apparent attenuation, it's probably a little on the low side for US-05 (should be around 81% based on the Fermentis website).

I generally rehydrate US-05 and ferment at 18c for 14 days before I take a reading, never had an issue with a stalled ferment on this basis.

Coming from someone who has no idea I would say it's finished when your starting OG was that high.
Also I spoke to a brewery and the head brewer said US-05 works best at around 20 something I can't remember exactly it was like 20.75 or something like that, very specific none the less but definately not 18 which I had always done.

This batch I stuffed up a little, in the fact that when I went to rehydrate my yeast I found some bits of stuff in my boiled (and cooled) water. I panicked and pitched 2 packets directly into the wort dry. 3 points isn't that bad I guess, I had 1.010 in my head for some reason. I'll probably leave it another week and cold crash next weekend to bottle.

Had a good brew day today. Used my new carbon filter, measured out water additions using Bru'n water to get the right ph (came in at 5.3 more or less bang on), efficiency was spot on. Ended up with a 88.2% mash efficiency and 78.3% brew house efficiency. I'm pretty chuffed with that. If I can get that every time, I'm going to be content. Exile's GF profile for beersmith was bang on. Well happy. I can retire Grainfather's calculators.

I too had a good brew day, although it was interrupted by work on-call for 3hrs, and then some bricklaying, I managed to turn out a nice looking American IPA, just about to finish the boil and add a heap of Citra, Cascade, Chinook. Did have a minor fuckup with my mill motor, so had to quickly fabricate a handle, but that should be fixed by next brewday.

BKBrews said:
Mate, nothing to worry about if you have a 1064 beer finish at 1016, that's quite normal. If you want to get it lower next time then just drop your mash temp by 1 or 2 degrees. But if it's stable now at 1016 then she's ready to go.

The grainfather online calculator is gone... It just brings up a page not found error, so good job we have a beersmith profile sorted...

kaiserben said:
There's a new website. Just get rid of the .au

EDIT: Here's the full link.
Cheers that did the trick. They changed it quick, was working on the weekend and confused me today on my phone.

Latest posts

Back