Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Killer Brew said:
Would have thought too fine a crush would just result in wort running down the overflow. Won't be the removal of the ball & spring, most of us ripped that out early on with no impact. Perhaps use the lever to slow the recirc a little and see if this prevents the frothing?
I purchased the original Grainfather version and recently installed the upgrade kit including the new discharge pipe with ball valve. I have made one brew with it and have had no problems. What is the advantage of removing the ball and spring ?

For those putting 23L batches from the grainfather into their fermenters.... What is the bottling/kegging volume you're getting? What sort of trub losses?

I'm about to pull the trigger............

BKBrews said:
For those putting 23L batches from the grainfather into their fermenters.... What is the bottling/kegging volume you're getting? What sort of trub losses?

I'm about to pull the trigger............
Around 21L on a normal brew. Big beers with dry hopping a bit less.

nads said:
I purchased the original Grainfather version and recently installed the upgrade kit including the new discharge pipe with ball valve. I have made one brew with it and have had no problems. What is the advantage of removing the ball and spring ?
Mine was getting clogged sometimes with hop and grain residue. Given it doesn't add anything operationally I pulled it out and haven't regretted it. Just make sure you don't accidentally switch on the pump without anything attached!

I've never had any problems with the ball and spring clogging up so until I do I'll just be leaving it in. I prefer to know that if I accidently flick the wrong switch at the wrong time I won't get a boiling wort geyser in my kitchen.

It is important to pull it apart and give it a clean out at the end of a brew day though.

Agreed, if no issue then no need to change. Happened to me a couple of brews in a row though and it delays the chill when you need to pull apart and clean. I attach the worth chiller post mash now and leave it on the bench with the outlet in the sink just in case I have a brain fade and knock the switch

Couldn't help myself, today's purchases for the Grainfather.
Looking at doing a few small test batches :)

Grainfather Micro Pipework and the Grainfather Overflow Filter

Grainfather Micro Pipework and the Grainfather Overflow Filter.jpg

I might have to get one of those overflow filters, my last 2 brews have both wanted to overflow, I've had to almost shut the recirc off.

Whats everyone's chill time?
On Saturday I was almost chilling for 1-1.5hrs including cleaning the ball valve a couple I times and then removing it all together.
I thought it would have been a bit quicker. My tap water was about 15 degrees and I chilled down to 18.

doctr-dan said:
On Saturday I was almost chilling for 1-1.5hrs including cleaning the ball valve a couple I times and then removing it all together.
I thought it would have been a bit quicker. My tap water was about 15 degrees and I chilled down to 18.
Has varied between 20 minutes and about an hour for me. Usually averages about 1/2 hour down to pitching temperature.

doctr-dan said:
??? As fast as the pump pumps. 15 mins or so.

Are you recircing through your chiller, back into the kettle and then waiting for the temp to drop? If that's what you're doing then you're doing it wrong and you're just wasting time and an incredible amount of water.

Just forget what temperature the control box says (unless you're specifically trying to perform a hop stand or something), recirc only until the hose leaving the chiller is cool to the touch (about 15 seconds), then immediately start pumping out to your fermenter.

EDIT: I've not bothered to upgrade the pipework with the ball valve etc, so not sure if having to stop and clean it was what made it much longer for you?

kaiserben said:

Are you recircing through your chiller, back into the kettle and then waiting for the temp to drop? If that's what you're doing then you're doing it wrong and you're just wasting time and an incredible amount of water.
Just forget what temperature the control box says (unless you're specifically trying to perform a hop stand or something), recirc only until the hose leaving the chiller is cool to the touch (about 15 seconds), then immediately start pumping out to your fermenter.

EDIT: I've not bothered to upgrade the pipework with the ball valve etc, so not sure if having to stop and clean it was what made it much longer for you?
Yep I did it wrong then, waited until the temp prob was down to 18 :( and wasted alooooot of water!
Would have cut an hour of the time too.

So let me get this straight.... you're pointing the wort out pipe of the chiller back into the fermenter for 15 seconds (or as long as it takes for it to be 'cool'), then switching the pump off, moving the wort out pipe to your fermenter and turning the pump back on?

Recirc for about a minute through the chiller back into the GF with no cold water counterflowing to sanitise the chiller then start up the water and once returned wort runs cold run it straight off into fermenter.

Killer Brew said:
Recirc for about a minute through the chiller back into the GF with no cold water counterflowing to sanitise the chiller then start up the water and once returned wort runs cold run it straight off into fermenter.
I do that for 10 minutes (before I do what I've posted above), which is what it said in the instructions when I first bought the GF.

Yeah ok, haven't read them in a while. Seems like overkill with 90 degree plus wort running through. Already worried that my late additions spend too much time at high temps.

Latest posts

Back