Dedicated Braumeister Guide, Problems & Solution Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pratty1 said:
Hi Stakka,

Thanks for your %'s, getting 80-85%BHE is great, when i compare to my current results.

Ive been batch sparging for about 45-60mins after pulling the malt pipe, i whirlpool at the end and let it settle out and then tilt her forward and still left with 3.5lts of trub. i could take the trub and like mentioning before decant/chill and my % goes up.

I wonder if we could fit a curved hop blocker to the inside outlet and get more wort into the FV?

Sorry Pratty you make a good point: I forgot to mention I also sparge/rinse with 10 litres water after pulling the pipe/while ramping up to boil.

Not sure how you'd calculate that time wise.

I have a really big mash paddle which is ideal for whirlpooling which helps me reduce trub through very tight cone formation. It's the big SS one from KK if you're interested.

Another thing is I mill pretty fine - around 0.9-1mm. I reckon that should get you another few points too.

Yeah a hop blocker would be ideal, pretty hard to find something that's gonna filter out trub/hop pellet debris though.

I have recently been trying to figure out the best way to brew in the brau with my recently harvested flowers too.

wide eyed and legless said:
Has your mate not got an electric oven power point ?
Good question - if i went this route and ran an extension cord from that outlet to the garage would it work? Does the lead need to be rated for 15A too?

Also are pretty much all ovens 15A?

Thanks

Pratty1 said:
I wonder if we could fit a curved hop blocker to the inside outlet and get more wort into the FV?
Looks like Speidel are already all over this:

http://speidels-braumeister.de/shop/en/Accessories/Brewing/Hop-sieve-for-20-litre-and-50-litre-Braumeister

Haven't seen it for sale in Australia though. I'd jump on one if it were.

Alternatively, has anyone tried hopping into the malt pipe? As in, putting the malt pipe with the bottom filter back in during the boil (hanging off the top set of bolts, not sealed to the bottom) and throwing your hops in this way. Should be a lot less trub loss, but it might affect utilisation. Next time I use flowers I'll give it a try.

Cheers,
Tim

timmyf said:

http://speidels-braumeister.de/shop/en/Accessories/Brewing/Hop-sieve-for-20-litre-and-50-litre-Braumeister

Alternatively, has anyone tried hopping into the malt pipe? As in, putting the malt pipe with the bottom filter back in during the boil (hanging off the top set of bolts, not sealed to the bottom) and throwing your hops in this way. Should be a lot less trub loss, but it might affect utilisation. Next time I use flowers I'll give it a try.

Cheers,
Tim
I dunno how much that would stop pellets from coming through but i reckon it's a great idea for flowers if you had wort over the first 5 cms or so over the bottom plate/ filter

timmyf said:

Cheers,
Tim
Interesting looking filter. I wonder if any local retailers will carry.

The idea of the malt pipe is intriguing. You'd want to put it in ahead of 0 mins for sanitation purposes and give the boil time to recover. I wonder if it would stunt your whirlpool a fair bit.

the speidel one looks ok, i was thinking more along the lines of a curved bazooka.

This one isnt curved but you could shape it.

bazooka.png

dicko said:
I couldn't believe that.
after watching the whole vid anticipating something new at 14m20s...nope....just a bloke that uses a drill to mash in and a tea towel to stop the hops from going into the FV....surely he know you can chill, whirlpool and leave for 30mins. no need for a TT.

Anyway for the DeGarre...I use a fridge shelf to sparge over ( posted before )

20140111_120712.jpg

Hi all!
Does anyone have the equipment profile to use with the iBrewmaster 2 app for the BM 20L?
Here's a screenshot of the parameters I'd need.
Helpful souls will have good brewing karma for a decade.
Thanks a lot.
Ricardo LopesImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1399508644.024797.jpg

ricardope said:
Hi all!
Does anyone have the equipment profile to use with the iBrewmaster 2 app for the BM 20L?
Here's a screenshot of the parameters I'd need.
Helpful souls will have good brewing karma for a decade.
Thanks a lot.
Ricardo Lopes
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1399508644.024797.jpg
To start you off, this is what I use in my brew software.

Absorption 0.5L/kg
Kettle loss 3L
Cooling shrinkage 4%
Evap 11%/hr

The rest shouldn't matter I don't think.

Hi guys i'm about to buy a sheet of perforated stainless steel sheet for false bottom in my new braumeister..

Just wondering if a 2mm hole and 2mm think would do the trick?

or would a 3mm hole be better??

cheers
peter

Ckilner said:
Why are you adding a false bottom to the Braumeister?
I think he's building one, but anyway, so am I, so the original has 2mm plate perf with 3mm holes. I'm geting 2mm plate with 2mm holes, so give me a week or two and I'll let you know.

well its going to be a little different to braumeister, i'm going to avoid the alltread in the middle.. se i will need perforated stainless on bottom and some on top.

sorry i'm in wrong thread

Can anyone tell me the actual time taken for their brewday with the bm and is it the sort of thing you could walk away from to do other things during mash and or boil times? Looking at buying one.

Depends how many steps in the mash you want to take.Longest day ive had was 6 hours, shortest like 3-4. Yep you can walk away just check on it every now and then

Thanks, about the same time as I take now. Gotta be better than watching a gas flame. Do you find heating times ok or do they drag out a bit

Back