Danstar BRY-97?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam_snorkel said:
Could be it.
Do you have your probe attached to the fermenter & lagged, or somewhere else in the fridge?
The temp probe is on the fermenter - I set the temp knob to 15c to get me a ferment temp of 18-20c.

Liam_snorkel said:
I noticed that too on my last big IPA.

I have a highly hopped American black ale fermenting with it at the moment set at 16.5 deg - hoping that a slightly less vigorous ferment will help somewhat. Will report.
will be interested to hear your report mate. mine was a pale ale fermented at 16C. nothing flashy; pilsner, crystal (1.044), and all amarillo to 45 IBU. honestly tasted closer to 20 IBU and it was even no chilled with no 15 minute hop adjusting.

Looks like I'll be dry hopping it like a bitch.

I accounted for the bitterness being dropped based on the last IPA which was 180 calculated IBU so I was expecting 80-90 due to solubility & perception limits, tasted more like 50 IBU). Just hoping I don't lose too much flavour.

Liam_snorkel said:
Looks like I'll be dry hopping it like a bitch.

I accounted for the bitterness being dropped based on the last IPA which was 180 calculated IBU so I was expecting 80-90 due to solubility & perception limits, tasted more like 50 IBU). Just hoping I don't lose too much flavour.
yeah i'd rather not lose almost 50% of my hop additions if i can help it, so to me i'm cautious of wasting it when i could just use many other similar yeasts. i'll await your report eagerly before jumping in haha

My non-hoppy beers have turned out great with it though. Maybe it's just late hop additions that it chews/drops out?

I'm interested and a touch surprised in everyones feedback about all this because BRY 97 is my go-to yeast now for all APAs and AIPAs and I don't think it strips or drops any hop flavours personally (edit - at least I don't believe it has in any of my beers, some of which are the same recipes I've done with us05).

The best of my APAs and AIPAs have been brewed with this yeast…it certainly contributes heaps more to the flavour profile of the beer than us05 does (I think it is similar in many ways to wy1272, it lends a nuttiness and some pleasing fruity esters of its own), but is this 'lack of neutrality' perhaps being considered by some brewers as something that is reducing the hop presence because there is something else going on in the flavour profile?

Anyway, just my thoughts - wanted to provide a counter point so new brewers don't get put off trying this yeast. I think it is fantastic, but don't expect it to be as 'neutral' as us05.

Now of course there's MJ's M44 to throw into the mix and think about also haha... :icon_cheers:

I have said I will withold my final judgement on this yeast until I have given it time to clean up and once I have dry hopped/cold crashed etc - but I think as you say Lecterfan as it's not as neutral as Saf 05 it has me interested as to the final product and what it will be like (and maybe a little worried given some of the other reviews).

The taste I had was far from awful - just different and not what I was expecting.

It will be beer and I will drink it! :beerbang:

I definitely lost IBUs between near identical recipe/practice with that IPA I was talking about before (compared to us05), but certainly haven't noticed a lack of bitterness in my non-hoppy beers. Could be inconsistencies with something I've done, I don't know.
You might be onto something with hop profile competing with yeast rather than it actually chewing it out, but (to me at least) that *yeast* profile is barely detectable. Glad to hear that you're digging it with APAs, because I love the quick turnaround and flocculance (is that a word?) and have high hopes for the one it's in now.

EDIT: glaring mistake. Yeast profile, not hop profile. Hopefully makes more sense now.

oh i agree lecterfan. i'm sure it could be a great number of inconsistencies on my part too with the brews, or a bad batch or perhaps bad hops. it's hard for me to be 100% sure so i'm positive i could try it again in a test batch and see. it's just experience and there are many here who rave about it so perhaps i was just unlucky (or a different taste preference :) ).

the more i think about it the more i want to try it again haha

Okay I think my brew with this yeast is an epic fail.... after 9 days I have checked the gravity and it's only at ~1.020!!

I only pitched 1 packet and rehydrated onto a 1047 wort which by all accounts on here should have got the job done. The yeast had a massive krausen and looked like it was ripping along but obviously ran out of gas....

No wonder things have been tasting funny...

Any suggestions or is this a gonna!?

paulmclaren11 said:
Okay I think my brew with this yeast is an epic fail.... after 9 days I have checked the gravity and it's only at ~1.020!!

I only pitched 1 packet and rehydrated onto a 1047 wort which by all accounts on here should have got the job done. The yeast had a massive krausen and looked like it was ripping along but obviously ran out of gas....

No wonder things have been tasting funny...

Any suggestions or is this a gonna!?
Paul, 1 pack in a 23 litre batch is underpitched.

I don't have the correct rate in front of me but it is something like 1gr per litre.

Cheers

Yeah it's recommended that 1g/litre is the go, but others on here and the shop I bought it from said a standard batch rehydrated should get it done.

Can I pitch some Saf Ale 05 now to get it finished or is it too late?

Mine with this yeast have all finished.
Pitching more yeast will work, but you could shake and bake (bring the temp up a few ° after swirling)

I just had a BRY-97 ferment climb out of the fermenter, through the air lock!

Pitched two packs of 97 (one of which was hydrated - I need a bigger hydration vessel), 21l of 1050-ish wort in my 30l fermenter at 18-degrees… 3-days later and I've had to change the airlock and clean up… a little anxious to what I'll find when I get home tonight.

I've got 20L of 1083 wort fermenting away like mad. I made a test batch of 15L of 1040 Pale Ale and just threw the one pack in (naughty naughty) and then dumped the big 1083 on top of the cake, and it's going gangbusters. After just 2 hrs, the airlock was bleepbloopbleeping more than R2D2 and is still going just as strong 2 days later. Not a huge massive krausen either.

Will most likely pitch a packet of US 05 if things haven't changed by tomorrow. I have swirled and upped the temp on the fridge.

2 packs next time!

I've never had it stall with a single packet, yours might have been a dud?

My experience with this yeast seems to be somewhat different..

Fast, clean and not noticeably stripping.. one of the things I like about it is that it's fast and drops like a brides knickers.. and isnt as 'dusty' as 05 traditionally is.

My last ferments were as a blend though, I had 2 batches to ferment, did a 2lt Greenbelt starter, divided that equally between the 2 FV's and pitched 1 rehydrated pack to each.. and went to Brisvegas for a week, set both fridges to 17'c (normal 97 ferment temp)

OG 1072
FG 1012 for both

upon my return I transferred both to the CC fridge and kegged today.. both were tasting pretty good from the sample at racking.

Admittedly they are both due to be keg hopped so a little stripping if it happened Im not too worried about it... a milder less hoppy brew and I may reconsider.

My recent experience only

Will pitching a whole pack of US 05 on this to get it to drop 10 points make it dry as a nuns....?

Latest posts

Back