Danstar BRY-97?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I jus sprinkled the whole packet on top of 20 L of dr smurtos golden ale
Came out great.

Sounds like a stupid question, but what does this yeast do, if upped a little temp wise?

Reason I ask, I've got a pack, and been meaning to do another APA/AIPA, but been too flat out. So I'm behind and I wanted to knock out a British beer of sorts, and see if I could get some nice esters happening in say a bitter. I know (before someone says it) I could do an Irish Red, and treat it as a lager yeast and go there, but I really want to do an ESB or a standard bitter.

Wondering if I could use it, or do I need to sit tight on this until I catch up.

I just used this yeast and rehydrated for the first time as per instructions.

What i was unsure of was how to then pitch it. is it just a case of pouring it into the wort and putting the lid on? or should i have stirred it???

Just pouring the yeast in seems to work fine for me.

I am fermenting with this currently and the krausen is still going strong despite it being in the fv 9 days and hitting final gravity days ago.

Can't remember it being like this the handful of times I have used it, is this common?

stakka82 said:
I am fermenting with this currently and the krausen is still going strong despite it being in the fv 9 days and hitting final gravity days ago.

Can't remember it being like this the handful of times I have used it, is this common?
Had the same occur last week.

Cold crash it for a couple of days, and it will all drop out, leaving beautiful clear beer.

OG to fg - 1046 to 1011 in 72hrs.. Not not mention no detectable activity for 36hrs. now thats Impressive. no explosive krausen though like others have experienced...

As a predominantly ale brewer, I love this yeast!

Reminds me to check on my IPA, with any luck I can carb it up and be into it sat..

I usually use 1272 in my American ales, but starters failed so had 46l I needed to pitch on asap. Quick trip to LHBS and it was either us05 or bry97. Never used bry97 so thought why not.. After some reading I think I'm gonna be mildly impressed

I rehydrated this. After 35 hours (tops - that was only because I checked it this morning, and not at midnight) it has a nice big foamy krausen.

I looked at it after about 24 hours and it appeared (though it's always hard with the milky-clear fermenters to be be absolutely sure) to have a tiny line of foam, but then after 12 hours, bang there it is.

So yeah, another "it takes a while to start but has big krausen" comment. I had a Bitter next to it with S04 and that was up and running without hydration in no more than 12 hours. So I had a sort of side by side comparison.

The positive comments in this thread (and elsewhere) have convinced me to give BRY-97 a go. I just want to figure out what pitching rate I should use as it has been pointed out previously that Danstar recommends 1 g/L, but don't specify what range of gravity this is appropriate for so I assume a "standard" OG of roughly 1.040 - 1.060. Also assuming the cell density is roughly the same as other Danstar strains, that's roughly 20 M / mL or 1.62 M / mL / P which is in the lager range of pitching rates. Seems like a strange recommendation for an ale pitching rate...

Also, from what I've read, it's often slow to start on the first pitch but seems to take off really fast if repitching slurry (presumably people are repitching at a much higher rate?). I've also read that it sometimes doesn't clear as well as the manufacturer claims. These two observations might be resulting from too low a pitching rate.

So I'm wondering the same thing Screwy asked earlier in this thread; how much are people pitching / what pitching rate are people using? But I'd go further and ask:

1) How much / what pitching rate have you used?

2) Did you rehydrate or sprinkle?

3) Did your method give you "normal" or "longer than normal" lag time compared to other strains?

4) How well did the beer clear using your method?

I know some people have already posted a brief description of what they do and their results (such as Goomba above) but I don't think many people have actually answered all four of my questions.

I know I should just try different pitching rates and see what happens for myself (and I probably will), but collecting data from other observant brewers and then adding mine to it seems like a quicker and more robust way of establishing this yeast's behaviour patterns, which I'm sure other brewing geeks are interested in :) .

Cheers, everyone :icon_cheers: .

1) How much / what pitching rate have you used?
11g pack on 23L @ 1045

2) Did you rehydrate or sprinkle?
Sprinkle (lazy w/ dry yeasts I am)

3) Did your method give you "normal" or "longer than normal" lag time compared to other strains?
Longer lag than US-05

4) How well did the beer clear using your method?
Very well.

US-05 is preferred for mine, prefer my beers (have done several side by side and US-05 won every bout (APA, DSGA, ABA). That being said, the bottled BRY's are starting to come out great after more conditioning time.

1 packet (rehydrated for 30min in 200ml cooled, boiled water) in a 23L 1050 batch started for me in <24 hours.
This was at ferment temps of 17-18 degrees and using the shake and bake fermentor aeration method (no added 02)
Flocculation was good and the beers have turned out clear as crystal.
On subsequent repitches into similar batches I've used up to generation 4 approx. 250ml thick slurry with a faster start and similar floccing and clarity results.

Used it for nelson summer ale before with 1 packet and took about 2 days before it got its groove on. Still came out great though.

This time used it on a fatter yak (OG 1049) used 2 packets, rehydrated, pitched at about 24 and bought down to 18. Took about 12 hours before it started doing its thing. Was 1014 as of this morning but still a tonne of krausen.

Pretty good yeast in my opinion and clears really really well.

I did a side by side comparison of this vs US-05. 1 packet per 22l each. Split batch so all conditions the same. I don't have a very defined palette but I did notice the BRY was more subdued hop flavour than the US-05. Not excessive but noticable. After about 2-3 weeks could not notice any distinct differnece between the two. Probably would not switch to this from US-05. Did not think there was much difference, certainly not worth noting. I did not pitch at 1 g/l so I am happy to look at this for future comparison work.

YMMV

I've pitched at 1g per lt and didn't really notice a difference to pitching just 1 pack, rehydrated of course, the thing that 97 has over 05 is it drips like a stone and leaves a brilliant clear beer..

I'm a fan and turn to it as the go to ale dry yeast.. Faster to finish than 05 too

My first batch took 2 days to start but i didnt airate it enough i think. I was worried so i pitched a pack of notto aswell. It came out pretty clear after cc in secondary for a couple days.
My second batch is still in primary fv but has not floced out very well so i hope the cc works well. I only pitched one pack and it was bubbling away after 1 day. I got a lot more air into it and had lower OG too.

bmarshall said:
My first batch took 2 days to start but i didnt airate it enough i think. I was worried so i pitched a pack of notto aswell. It came out pretty clear after cc in secondary for a couple days.
My second batch is still in primary fv but has not floced out very well so i hope the cc works well. I only pitched one pack and it was bubbling away after 1 day. I got a lot more air into it and had lower OG too.
I'm pretty sure not aerating is not the cause of you problem, as Danstar explain that dry yeast do not need oxygenated wort:

No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either. During its aerobic production, dry yeast accumulates sufficient amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and sterols to produce enough biomass in the first stage of fermentation.

And to continue the discussion about pitching rates, rehydration etc...

I brewed 22 L of a 1.060 AIPA yesterday and poured the wort into my FV but did not use any other methods of aeration. I followed Danstar's recommendation of 1 g/L pitching rate (exactly 2 packs for my 22 L batch) and rehydrated in 10 times the yeast mass of 0.9% (w/v) saline solution (my water is very soft which is not good for rehydrating) and pitched at 20C with my fridge set to 19C.

I'm not exactly sure when it formed a krausen as it was over night when I was asleep, but it happened somewhere between 6 and 14 hours. This seems to be in line with all my other batches with different yeasts, both liquid and dry.

So from my experience so far and what others have posted about their experiences, it may be that the long lag times people have been reporting are arising from either poor yeast handling, pitching too little or some other reason, but I don't think it's a trait of the yeast strain. Maybe it's just not as hardy as the ol' US-05 and you need to follow the instructions properly?

And to answer my own fourth question from above, I'll report back on the clarity when the batch is done :) .

Back