Danstar BRY-97?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time using this yeast today, just dumped my cube into the FV and had more than I thought - ~ 23 litres.

SG was 1047 - only pitched 1 packet and rehydrated as per packet instructions.

Hopefully gets the job done.

I'm not sold on this yeast yet. Did a double batch of fairly standard APA and pitched two packs into 23 litres of 1047 wort (no rehydration, I'm lazy) and fermentation kicked off in 14 hours or so. It took a week to finish, then I left it on the yeast for 5 days or so. Fermented at 19'.

Samples were yeasty and estery as hell, not clean at all.
I didn't CC as I used the yeast cake for the second cube, but after about a week in the keg it's still cloudy as all buggery and tasting like yeast, with massive esters. Hop presence is muted and the malt is not really there either. It has a taste like a hot ferment, but that's unlikely. I'm pretty happy with my temp control. It's not an infected taste at all.

Confident infection wasn't at play, I bit the bullet and reused the yeast cake with the second cube. It was a massive overpitch. This one is tasting great. The malt and hops are there, with hops taking a front seat. Just dry hopped it and CCing for a couple of days then will keg. They are shaping up to be two completely different beers.

Curiouser.

I'm finding similar with BRY-97, an APA and IPA I did with this yeast, neither which I crash chilled, are both tasting a little yeasty, like I haven't left the last 10ml or so in the bottom of the bottle...and this is after a good couple of months in the bottle too. I've never had this with US-05. If I use BRY-97 again (I think I have 1 left) I'll crash chill to see if it helps.

Interesting reading mixed reviews on this yeast, just bought 4 packs of it after thinking it's time to try something other than safale 05.

Hope my brews come up okay with it, crash chilling seems a must.

My ferment took off with a massive krausen (much bigger than saf 05) after about 12ish hours.

All looks good, apart from a bloody leaking FV tap - time for a newbie.

I said in a previous post that I'd update on the clarity of my AIPA and the verdict is...no different to US-05 or any other US yeast I've used. I cold crash though so I can't say if it wouldn't be better than US-05 without the CC. Although carniebrew's experience suggests that it might not be clearer.

At this stage I'm not that impressed with BRY-97 but I've only used it in new recipes so I'm not sure if I don't like the yeast or if it's the rest of the recipe. I can say that it's definitely a bit fruity. Maybe I need to try it in something that I want a bit of fruit character in.

I did a 23L pale ale (turned out quite dark) using just one pack of BRY 97 - so about half the recommended, but re-hydrated as usual. It did seem to kick off slower than normal but got from 1050 to 1013 in a week. Finished at 1012 when I tested and dry-hopped a few days later, although I don't usually test much or earlier than a week, so it could have done most of the work in the first few days for all I know.

I thought the beer poured quite clear from the bottle, but it was also my first time crash chilling so couldn't really say if it is the yeast or the CC. First time with this recipe too, but definitely no yeasty flavours as mentioned above.

Not specifically BRY-97 as I blended it with Greenbelt, but I put 2 batches in the FV's before I left for Brisbane on the 24th December, came back on the 30th and the brews have gone from 1070 to 1014, going to Crash them tmoz, but taste awesome from the sample.. nice and clean, hops shining through.

is a side by side with same wort, different hops, one cube Amarillo / Mosaic, other cube Ahtanum / Mosaic

Cant wait to keg them, k/hop them and judge them :ph34r: :) ;)

7 days into my ferment with this this yeast and I can defo smell the fruitiness... Had a sneaky sample, and albeit very early, it is very yeasty, almost like Coopers pale ale. I hope this settles out as I can't taste much hops. I will leave another week then dry hop and cold crash.

I don't understand why people don't do starters. Or at least hydrate their yeast ? It's very simple. No special equipment needed. Maybe because I'm a Baker I don't find anything scarey. As yet no infections in any brews. Tbh tho I'm not shour if I could taste a over pitched brew.

No need to make a starter with dry yeast when you pitch enough. I have noticed little (if any) difference in the final product when rehydrating, and if I am brewing a higher gravity (which is not all that often) I will rehydrate or just pitch two packs. I'm a bit lazy :)

Ok, second keg of this (refer to post 43 above) is tasting really good. Hardly any fruitiness or yeasty flavours as with the first batch, though still not as clean as US05.

The first batch was fermented at 19'. The second was fermented at 17'. I CC'd the second batch for 4 days or so @ 3' and then straight onto the gas for two days.
Still by no means clear, but it's tasting pretty damn good. I may give it another go again and ferment it around 17' as this seems to hit the fruitiness on the head.

Come to think of it, as Paul suggests, the first batch does have a bit of a Coopers Pale Ale thing happening.

So it sounds like once the fruity esters are there, they don't reduce much after time? A big dry hop will be in order me thinks to try and over power it!

I bought 4 packs of this stuff, really should have just got one... but will reserve full judgement once it's kegged and carbed (will gelatin in the keg).

There is no need to rehydrate dry yeast when you pitch enough.
However, be aware that you will kill about half of your yeast by pitching it directly into your wort. Source of this info is the Yeast book co-authored by Chris White.
If you're happy with that, then go ahead.
For me, rehydrating is really quite easy, and ensures you pitch most of the cells you pay for.

paulmclaren11 said:
So it sounds like once the fruity esters are there, they don't reduce much after time? A big dry hop will be in order me thinks to try and over power it!

I bought 4 packs of this stuff, really should have just got one... but will reserve full judgement once it's kegged and carbed (will gelatin in the keg).
Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, but what temp did you ferment it at to get this fruitiness? I've been running it at 19, and my last couple of imitation schwarzbiers (buttering hops only) have come through with no noticeable fruitiness. 1 packet rehydrated, OG 1050 approx.

i have a mixed feeling about this yeast as i'm not sure what the exact issue was. the beer was ok, very clear and the yeast dropped out but it stripped my hops by a MASSIVE amount. this was either the yeast or just bad hops but i've used the hops in other beers with us-05 and they've been noticeable so to the best of my knowledge the yeast really ate through my hops :(

Liam_snorkel said:
Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, but what temp did you ferment it at to get this fruitiness? I've been running it at 19, and my last couple of imitation schwarzbiers (buttering hops only) have come through with no noticeable fruitiness. 1 packet rehydrated, OG 1050 approx.
I am fermenting at about 18-19c in a temp controlled fridge. I also only pitched 1 pack on a SG of 1047 rehydrated.

Yeast is fresh - use by of 2015 bought from a reputable supplier.

Maybe as I have been using the good old pink packets exclusively for so long I am very sensitive to the fruit...?

fletcher said:
i have a mixed feeling about this yeast as i'm not sure what the exact issue was. the beer was ok, very clear and the yeast dropped out but it stripped my hops by a MASSIVE amount. this was either the yeast or just bad hops but i've used the hops in other beers with us-05 and they've been noticeable so to the best of my knowledge the yeast really ate through my hops :(
I noticed that too on my last big IPA.

I have a highly hopped American black ale fermenting with it at the moment set at 16.5 deg - hoping that a slightly less vigorous ferment will help somewhat. Will report.

paulmclaren11 said:
Maybe as I have been using the good old pink packets exclusively for so long I am very sensitive to the fruit...?
Could be it.
Do you have your probe attached to the fermenter & lagged, or somewhere else in the fridge?

Latest posts

Back