Danstar BRY-97?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJR said:
Anyone done a Kolsch with it yet? Might be a bit estery and doesn't seem to like the cold though? Might end up giving a good profile and flocc better than some other options
I am aware of a couple of brewers who have used a 50/50 mix of BRY-97 and Nottingham to good effect

Wobbly

I have put down another Golden Ale with this yeast. 2nd time I've used it. I was worried that this packet was purchased when there were problems with this strain.

I rehydrated with both brews. The current brew is charging headlong into day 4.

I'm going to this yeast often.

Using BRY-97 for the first time. Always head great success with US-05 but thought I'd change it up. Sprinkled on top, good stir, pitched at probably around 20/22C. Been sitting at 16C in the fridge and took literally 72 hours to get going. I was really worried at first, but this thread gave me some relief. Then finally this morning there were signs of action through the glad wrap and tonight it's well and truly working. I look forward to tasting what it does to my beer.

Never had an issue with it's finished result.. clean as you like for it's style and drops better than 05..

so = win

ed: though I personally prefer other yeasts not in the dry form B)

done about 6 brews with this and I'm getting big apricot/mango type flavours, my grain bill is largely unchanged and I am using different hops so has anyone noticed this stone fruit kind of smell and taste? This last brew I dropped down to 18, the others were 20 as I thought I may lose some of that aroma and taste going lower but this last one at 18 had a huge krausen compared to the others and that apricot sort of profile is there again

Gonna have to try another yeast just to see I spose

Put down a pale ale with BRY 97,
Two packs in a 1.046 wort hydrated as per the instruction and fermented at 20 deg.
pitched last Sunday and the beer is finished today down to 1.010. 7 days.
It took a good day to show an o2 bubble but when it gets going it works pretty hard.

I much prefer this yeast to s05 but I must say that I have never experienced any apricot/mango flavours.

Cheers

droid said:
done about 6 brews with this and I'm getting big apricot/mango type flavours, my grain bill is largely unchanged and I am using different hops so has anyone noticed this stone fruit kind of smell and taste? This last brew I dropped down to 18, the others were 20 as I thought I may lose some of that aroma and taste going lower but this last one at 18 had a huge krausen compared to the others and that apricot sort of profile is there again

Gonna have to try another yeast just to see I spose
What are the hops you're using?
Hops can definitely throw stone fruit.

I found it to be a pretty neutral sort of yeast, especially at 17-18

Do I still owe you some Bry-97 Dicko? Shoot me a pm with details and I'll get them out to you :)

The recent activity in this thread has reminded me...

I recently brewed a couple of recipes that I'd previously fermented with BRY-97, but this time fermented one with US-05 and one with Wy-1056. The biggest difference I noticed was that the BRY-97 versions seemed much maltier and slightly fruitier. They were both darker (~30 EBC) beers with prominent but not dominating hop character. All of the beers were fermented at 18 C until late in the fermentation when I let them free rise a few degrees to finish off.

I'm starting to prefer this to US-05/1056 just for the more malty character. The fruitiness is OK, but I'm not that fussed and wouldn't mind the same beers fermented really cleanly.

Spiesy said:
What are the hops you're using?
Hops can definitely throw stone fruit.
galaxy mostly dry h and waimea ?, bittered with Ella, Summit, Galaxy or Waimea, got a full mosaic in the fermenter at the mo

What say yee?

droid said:
galaxy mostly dry h and waimea ?, bittered with Ella, Summit, Galaxy or Waimea, got a full mosaic in the fermenter at the mo

What say yee?
Galaxy can certainly display stone fruit/passionfruit.
I don't have any experience with Waimea

thanks mate, I do like the yeast, maybe I need to back off the Galaxy a bit, the next couple are Galaxy free so that'll confirm it I spose

cheers

Yob said:
I found it to be a pretty neutral sort of yeast, especially at 17-18

Do I still owe you some Bry-97 Dicko? Shoot me a pm with details and I'll get them out to you :)
Hi Yob,

I am really not too worried about it mate, all the beers so far have worked fine using this yeast.
I have not had any problems with attenuation and I have been happy with the result.
The problem may have been part of a batch but I have been very happy with each result with my beers.
I have two packets left and I will run them in the next APA or similar....you owe me nothing I am pleased with the great service and the generous offer.

Cheers and thanks for your attention..

Dicko.

Latest posts

Back