Danstar BRY-97?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched 2 sachets of this yeast into a 42 litre batch of DSGA recently.

It had a 48 hour lag time and it's the single worst beer I've ever made. Very estery and tangy. I've made the same recipe with US-05 with good results.

Yeast was fresh and purchased from one of our respected sponsors, but I did think that it smelled unusually strong when I was pitching it.

Maybe Danstar had some quality control problems for a time - as suggested above. Has this been confirmed yet?

Dr Rummy said:
I pitched 2 sachets of this yeast into a 42 litre batch of DSGA recently.

It had a 48 hour lag time and it's the single worst beer I've ever made. Very estery and tangy. I've made the same recipe with US-05 with good results.

Yeast was fresh and purchased from one of our respected sponsors, but I did think that it smelled unusually strong when I was pitching it.

Maybe Danstar had some quality control problems for a time - as suggested above. Has this been confirmed yet?
Did you give it a good aeration and ferment it nice and cool?

Hi Dr Rummy - I'm sure the BRY-97 wasn't from my stash, but send me a PM with your postage address and I will replace the yeast.

The only time I have used BRY-97, the hops came out a lot stronger and harsher tasting than I was expecting.

1 pack will usually chew through single batch beers with a gravity up to 1.048/1.050 clean as a whistle. Above that and it does get some odd esters. I usually do it at 18 deg C. In that sized batch, if you're up over that gravity, i'd suggest a third packet would be better and a 4th if you're up ove 1.070. Something else to consider is double stacked batches, say in a 60L plastic fermenter don't have twice the surface area to get rid of the heat, so if your ambient temp is 20, you could have a wort temp up around 22-23 Deg C. (Assumptions, not knowing if it was done in a fridge or how temp was determined)

Nick R said:
Hi Dr Rummy - I'm sure the BRY-97 wasn't from my stash, but send me a PM with your postage address and I will replace the yeast.
Thanks Nick, but it wasn't yours - and I'm not suggesting that the supplier is responsible in any way.

I think it might just have been an odd batch.

HBHB said:
1 pack will usually chew through single batch beers with a gravity up to 1.048/1.050 clean as a whistle. Above that and it does get some odd esters. I usually do it at 18 deg C. In that sized batch, if you're up over that gravity, i'd suggest a third packet would be better and a 4th if you're up ove 1.070. Something else to consider is double stacked batches, say in a 60L plastic fermenter don't have twice the surface area to get rid of the heat, so if your ambient temp is 20, you could have a wort temp up around 22-23 Deg C. (Assumptions, not knowing if it was done in a fridge or how temp was determined)
It was done it two separate 25l fermenters - one pack of yeast in each.

Temperature was ambient and constant in my cellar at 19-20 degrees.

The wort went from 1.048 to 1.011 - but the flocculation was very poor - not even as clear as US-05.

The beer is drinkable - but I wouldn't use the yeast again.

Im going to have a go with 2 packs in 27 litres 1050 95% pils malt 5% wheat
I want to ferment at 14c so once I rehydrate in 30c with 220g of boiled water would 14c be too cold to pitch
Should I add some cooler water to bring it down further from 30c to 20c & pitch as no chilling wort in cube or ?

Add about 200ml of your cool wort every 5 min until it's within ~5'c (use a bigger than normal flask)

Why 14'c?

rude said:
I want to ferment at 14c so once I rehydrate in 30c with 220g of boiled water would 14c be too cold to pitch
Should I add some cooler water to bring it down further from 30c to 20c & pitch as no chilling wort in cube or ?
Why do you want to ferment this ale yeast so cold?

I am doing a similar grain bill but with a 2565 wyeast at the same time as the danstar so that is probably why
Do you think this is too low ?
Time is no worries to me probably should pitch 3 packs

Yob said:
Add about 200ml of your cool wort every 5 min until it's within ~5'c (use a bigger than normal flask)

Why 14'c?
Yep but my wort is in my cube
Should or could I boil up some malt & make a cool wort to bring it down to temp

I used it in a standard APA and an AIPA (which was closer to IIPA status but that's another thing). Both got entered into TSHBC.

Judges said that the APA (I entered as an AIPA) was estery. Granted, I entered an old bottle (I tasted the 'spare' and I deserved the negative comments) but when it was new it was amazing and I picked up little esters. My former Vale/IPA loving wife now considers Vale bland (yes, I know, we all have to get there though) because she liked how hoppy this beer was. To me, the 'esters' were an age thing - and when the hops died down, it became perceptibly more estery - so maybe it's there and when young and the hops are prominent, it doesn't taste estery.

But I skimmed the krausen from this beer and pitched it into a 1.090 AIPA which was an attempt at IIPA. Judges did not pick up any esters and their comment was that if it had been entered as an AIPA and not an IIPA, it would have topped the field (the top beer was a 117 point beer, so assume a high silver or possible gold). It just wasn't quite bitter enough for an IIPA.

Same yeast, same packet and logic would dictate that the bigger beer (even despite getting very fresh yeast) would throw more flavours.

Only thing I can surmise is that yeast health and age of beer are massive variables in using BRY-97.

Anyone done a Kolsch with it yet? Might be a bit estery and doesn't seem to like the cold though? Might end up giving a good profile and flocc better than some other options

DJR said:
Anyone done a Kolsch with it yet? Might be a bit estery and doesn't seem to like the cold though? Might end up giving a good profile and flocc better than some other options
You'd be better off with a Kolsch yeast, tbh.

rude said:
Sorry everyone thought topic was about Nottingham yeast my bad I'll just slide out of here

Spiesy said:
You'd be better off with a Kolsch yeast, tbh.
Yeah I know all about kolsch yeast, just seeing if anyone's done a lighter style like that

Latest posts

Back